Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have acquired 3 new Type 99's for my collection and thought I would share this particular T99 rifle. To preface the discussion, I find collecting Axis firearms with bona fide capture papers, high on my list, so when the opportunity arises, I like to act on it.
This T99 is a Toyo Kogyo, 31 series, serial number 9565, matching, mum ground and sans the pod, rod, AA sites and dust cover. Nothing special as a rifle as I have numerous 31st with all the accessories. However what makes this one special in my mind was the the attached capture papers to the rifle. I personally have not seen this instance before, seen many with attached custom clearance tag, similar on my Iwo 24th I have shared in the past. I find it interesting these paper tags have survived all these years following the war and are still attached. The paper is worn, somewhat hard to read the clearing officer information, but I will spend more time researching in the future. It was a relatively local bringback.
The other rifle was a extremely nice, possibly unissued, Nag 6th, late serial with early 7th features. Mum has a few dimples in it, duplicate, but a condition upgrade so may move out my other one which is later 96K or so.

A few pictures of the paper and serial.

Jeff

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
12,866 Posts
Excellent! 👍

Reactions: jsz

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Jeff,
That's a nice piece. I've seen quite a few rifles in my day that have had remnants of that exact style tag. All that was left was the twisted wire and the first 1/4" of the tag.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeff,
That's a nice piece. I've seen quite a few rifles in my day that have had remnants of that exact style tag. All that was left was the twisted wire and the first 1/4" of the tag.
Hello Ed, hope you are well. I have always attributed partial and incomplete tags as possible identification tags for the person shipping or carrying it home. Maybe we ought to develop a thread on capture papers, tags, boxes and etc.?

Jeff

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Hi Jeff,
The Knee mortar is alive and well. I made about 15 plastic projectiles for it. I may be firing it soon. If I do, I'll send you a video.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts