Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have TiVo?

I've been waiting (and waiting) for the price to come down to commodity-level. Yesterday, it happened.

I was in a "BigLots" store - big "retail closeout" chain. Found an 80-hour, dual-tuner DVR unit for $69.

This thing can record (2) shows at once, while I watch a third if I so choose.

My only biatch is that I had to sign up for a ~17/mo year of service to get the thing to work. Still -- being able to bypass commercials, watch what I like when I like (instead of when it is on) and etc. is worth <$0.50/day to me...

I may go back and get another one for the bedroom...

DD

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
7,979 Posts
Don't have one - in fact; I'm debating whether to continue paying $48 a month for satelite (no antenae reception where I am). I'm down to one or two hours of TV a week. With the exception of a little sci fi and the occasional good History Channel documentary, I'd hardly miss the TV.

·
Gold Bullet member
885 Posts
Why do you have to sign up for 17 mos? My cable company let me add for an additional $5 a month.

My wife uses it all the time....I don't watch enough TV.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I have a Dish Network DVR.Records 100 hours etc.WOnderful invention ! Cost 5 bucks a month.Basically the same as a TiVo.Good luck to you with yours,Before you can blink an eye,You'll have ALL 80 hours Filled Up...:D

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Verizon FiOS here, with 2 HD DVR units in the house. Better than a true TiVO, IMHO.

Rob.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I lost track of this thread...

The Tivo has a number of advantages over the others -- off the top of my head:

EDIT: Can't believe I missed this one! Multi-room viewing - pause a show in the Living room, finish watching it in the bedroom.

(1) Lots of hacking info all over the 'net -- add a terabyte of storage if you want
(2) online scheduling from anywhere you can find an internet connection
(3) official app allows transfer of vids to pc(s) for later viewing (on plane, in car -- whaddever)
(4) built-in website allows easy click to download without app
(5) auto-transfer to PC (or in my case MS media-PC) gives unlimited storage
(6) watch your vids from PC on TV
(7) play your music from PC on TV
(8) see your pics from PC on TV
(9) burn transferred vids to DVD or vidCD via PC
(10) "rent" or "buy" movies from Amazon Unbox

found this on an "unofficial" tivo site:

“…
Here's a list I recently thought up when comparing my TIVO Series 3 to my SA8300HD which I rented from Charter Cable for two agonizing years. The SA8300 is typical of these cable DVRs you speak highly of.

1) Season Passes. The 8300 HD of course lets you set recurring recordings, but you can't prioritize them like you can with TIVO. With TIVO, your higher preference recordings will get recorded in the case of conflicts.

2) Wishlists. TIVO will let you set Wishlists, like "Sitcoms" or "Scarlett Johansson", or "Atlanta Braves", and then you can peruse these as you like to see upcoming programs. You can even set Auto-Recording Wishlists, and your Wishlist items will record automatically. For example, I love poker, so I set up a Wishlist for "Poker", and TIVO will record any program it finds with poker somewhere in the description. Try THAT with the SA8300HD.

3) TIVO suggestions. TIVO will eventually catch on to the kind of stuff you like and start recording stuff for you. I love coming home and finding stuff TIVO has recorded for me. Sometimes I discover great shows this way. TIVO handles these shows intelligently (they never bump recordings you have setup, and get deleted if the drive gets full). Nothing even remotely like this on the 8300HD.

4) Recently Deleted Folder. This is entirely missing from the SA8300HD, if I recall. If you delete something and later wish you had not, you can retrieve your show. These shows get permantly deleted first, when the hard drive gets full.

5) 30 second skip. I love this button. Not officially supported, but works great. Not available on the SA8300HD.

6) Better video and audio quality.

7) It is a music and photo media server, meaning I can listen to my computer's MP3's and look at my photos using the TIVO. The 8300HD? Nope.

8) Podcasts. I can subscribe to any Podcast I choose using the TIVO and listen to them at my leisure. You guessed it - not available on the 8300HD.

9) TIVO remembers where I was when I stop watching a show. In fact, I can have multiple shows already started watching, and TIVO remembers where I left off with each of them. Like bookmarks, really. The 8300HD cannot do this.

10) Universal Swivel Search. This is very new, but I love it already. It lets you easily find shows similar to the one you are studying, and lets you link easily to other shows your favorite actors are in. I'm not doing this feature justice. You really have to see it in action. It's like having a direct link to an Imdb-type database.

11) The peanut remote is a thing of beauty. The keys are nicely backlit, with the words on the keys. There is a nice ribbing on the bottom so you easily tell which way is up in the dark. There is an aspect ration button. And most importantly, it is a learning remote, which means you can control your other devices. In fact, you can teach it some functions from the TIVO menu. Doing this alone I was able to control my TV's on/off, my stereo's volume, and the TIVO, of course.

12) Weather and traffic updates. No such thing on the SA8300HD.

13) TIVOcasts, which are video podcasts. Not a lot of content yet, but I love CNET and The Onion. They keep adding new TIVOcasts. MIA on the 8300HD.

14) Search by Title is MUCH better on the TIVO. IIRC, on the 8300HD you could only search by title on one specific day at a time. The TIVO will let you search your entire lineup for the next two weeks. Also, you can filter your search, or your guides, for that matter, by HD shows only.

15) Two weeks of guide data instead of one.

16) My 8300HD occassionally would not record something. When it did this, it would offer no explanation. TIVO has a handy recording history that explains why a certain show may not have recorded.

17) Show padding. TIVO will prompt you to pad live shows by minutes or even hours so you don't miss that last hour of the Academy Awards.

18) Intelligent conflict resolution. If, because of show overruns, a conflict occurs, TIVO will shave a few minutes off your lower priority show. Example (Dual Tuners assumed): Show A runs from 8:00-9:00. Shows B and C run from 9:00 to 10:00. If Show A ends up running until 9:02, most DVR's (including the TIVO of yore), will actually not record either show B or C in their entirety. The new TIVO will make a decision based on your shows' priorities, and will shave minutes off the lowest priority show. For example, if Show A is the lowest priority, it will cut off the last two minutes, and record B & C in their entirety. If Show B is the lowest priority, it will clip the first two minutes of it to catch all of Shows A and C. But you'll still get 58 minutes of Show B.

19) I can schedule recordings from the internet with TIVO. Can't with the SA8300.

20) I can download movies from Amazon Unbox if I choose. Not available with the 8300, although I did have on-demand capabilities with it.

Maybe I didn't convince you, but you'll find out yourself once you try some of these cable DVRs.
…”
With all the hacking stuff out there, the box is useful without the subscription -- I went back and bought another just to screw around with...

DD

·
Silver Bullet member
36,346 Posts
How in the hell does anyone find 80 hours of TV, or more, worth recording?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts