Gold Bullet member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tom-M
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
558 Posts
Posted - 01/17/2006 : 11:16:38 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this has been covered before, but can't find posting. Who makes a Titanium firing pin, and link would be appreciated.
Anyone bought one, and what did you think of it?

Thanks - Tom

marysdad

USA
808 Posts
Posted - 01/19/2006 : 11:50:26 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HTML:
http://www.gokart.net/shop-utopia/mccann/index.html
Do a search of this forum on "titanium" and you'll find lots of info.

Berg

USA
729 Posts
Posted - 01/20/2006 : 01:26:43 AM

Wow $100 for a firing pin!

Tom-M

USA
558 Posts
Posted - 01/20/2006 : 4:08:58 PM

Thanks!!

Ordered one today. Price means I have to swap it out between my 3 rifles.

On a side question - is the firing pin interchangeable between the MAS 44, MAS 49, and MAS 49/56?????

Tom

DeanSchmidt
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
131 Posts
Posted - 01/20/2006 : 7:20:24 PM

I have had good luck with just shaving about five thousands off the end of the pin. The original pins are around 5.00 ea. A big difference !!

montello
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
199 Posts
Posted - 01/20/2006 : 8:00:22 PM

The 1944 Firing pin is different, it has a smaller shank and takes a small spring. The 49/56 pin is not interchangeable, I have learned the hard way as I am going to have to grind down a 49/56 pin to use in my 1944.

Buddy
Gunboards Super Premium Member

313 Posts
Posted - 01/20/2006 : 8:32:16 PM

MAS44 Firing pins are spring loaded..

Buddy

DeanSchmidt
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
131 Posts
Posted - 01/21/2006 : 12:04:36 AM

Good info Buddy. To bad the French didnt stay with a spring loaded system.

Tom-M

USA
558 Posts
Posted - 01/21/2006 : 02:51:40 AM

So one of these Titanium MAS49/56 firing pins will work in my Syrian contract MAS 49 rifle?

Thanks - Tom

MAS49.56
Gunboards Member

USA
91 Posts
Posted - 01/21/2006 : 9:38:58 PM

When I bought one 2 years ago they were only 70 bucks! Works great, no more burst fire with commercial ammo.

John Wallace
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

3488 Posts
Posted - 01/23/2006 : 11:11:46 AM

It is interesting to do a search for titanium on eBay, then tell it to reveal Other Categories at the side. If you narrow it down to Business & Industrial, Manufacturing & Metalworking and Metals & Alloys, you will fund numerous pieces of titanium rod. At the moment, for example, there is one lot of fourteen inches, .312in. diameter, at a Buy It Now price of $14.99. A firing-pin of this type would be easy for anyone with a lathe to make, and I wouldn't despair of doing it with an electric drill mounted on a bench mount, if I had to. I don't believe it is even anodised, which with titanium doesn't have the functional importance it does with aluminium, but can be made to take beautiful blue and green colours.

The makers of this firing-pin wouldn't do it without a sound, logical reason, of course. They want the money! I'm not familiar with the burst fire habit of the 49/56, and there may be people here who know better whether it can always be defeated the way Dean did it, or by changing the strength of the spring. But a series of annular grooves, a hole in the rear end, two or three small holes through the flattened section, could lighten the original pin nearly as much as the $89 one, which isn't as much lighter as pure titanium would be. For other firearms in which titanium is used for a faster lock time, as much can often be done by a reduced travel and increased mainspring strength or preload. Preloading, if there is enough space, can be done by a collar to increase the compression on the spring when the rifle is uncocked.

ThePitbullofLove
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
2012 Posts
Posted - 01/23/2006 : 11:27:47 AM

I just spring loaded my 49/56 firing pin. No more slamfires.

·
Registered
244 Posts
titanium firing pin

Just a little history on titanium pins, which I relate with extreme shame.
About a year or so ago this solution was brought up. I was very new on the board and wanted to help, having been a tool and die machinist for over 25 years. I was working at that time in a medical device shop, literally surrounded by tons of scrap titanium........
Although I made no promises, I told some members of this board that I could make pins on a production basis for fairly cheap, all of which was true and actually in-process.
Personal projects were allowed at this shop, the operative mode being "don't ask, don't tell". After all, Swiss turning machines represent a very large capital investment for the company; it had to be a "covert operation". Fellow engineers and machinists will nod at this one.
To cut to the point, I very stupidly told my shop buddies about it. They just grinned, knowing me for a born fool. Sure enuf, word got back to Darth Vader about my activities and I was mind-scanned and tortured. Well, close enough. I wasn't immediately fired, in fact I was allowed to keep my half-done pins, but the incident was used as a means to eject me from the shop soon after. If I had been making anything but gun parts, I think I would have been chastised, but not terminated. So it goes.
To make matters infinitely worse, I never got back to the board members about my fate. There can be no excuses for that, not ever. I can only hope that the members involved can forgive me................pretty pathetic stuff.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Well hats off for the effort.

Sorry to hear it became a bad thing for you.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
This is an old thread. Started by me too. The titanium fireing pin I purchased has worked perfectly since day one. Highly recommend geting one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts