Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am currently in the process of purchasing a 17/18 Odendorf G98 Mauser that was supplied as military aid to Turkey. I am planning to swap the barrel with a Lothar-Walther full 29" barrel and sourcing spare langevizer sights from online to keep from damaging the original barrel too much. This way if I want to I can kinda restore the rifle to its original condition if I see to do so in the future. Now, here is where some people will cringe; I also intend to get a period correct scope and mount. Specifically for making a rifle that is in correct sniper configuration for a ww1 sniper. Of the surface level research I have done the scopes used appear to be the same Zeiss scopes used in ww2, except that the magnification appears to be X3 and not X4.

Do you guys have any tips on what I should do to keep the rifle as close to military spec as possible? (ie what type of blueing on the barrel, or parts I need to make sure I get to put on the new iron sights, what the actual name of the scope + mount, ect)

all help is appreciated

·
Registered
39 Posts
Please don't start swapping parts in and out and modifying something old and original. Find one that has been sporterized already and mess with that!

Reactions: tomj, TP and Frosty

·
8,102 Posts
Sorry, it is not tasteful so it has been removed from the Military Mauser Forum and placed in a more appropriate forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts