Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If only this rifle could talk she would probably have not much to say (has this "been nowhere but the gun safe since left the factory" look :)))
Absolutely gorgeous (pics do not do it justice) all original, nonimport (and no other nonoriginal markings) correctly Izhevsk "Bow and Arrow" arsenal stamped parts (I found 33 stamped parts so far) with the stock matching to the rifle (SN on the inside) and possibly unfired. Enjoy!
DSC_0017-055.JPG
DSC_0033-047.JPG
DSC_0043-033.JPG
DSC_0024-049.JPG
DSC_0025-048.JPG
DSC_0027-044.JPG
DSC_0023-048.JPG
DSC_0001-075.JPG
DSC_0002-063.JPG
DSC_0004-067.JPG

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
17,447 Posts
Would this have been originally equipped with a flat rear sight leaf? The Spitzer projectile was still a few years to come when this was built. Steel crossbolt? Wasn't that also around 1909? Not completely like it was when it came off the assembly line.

I would still give it rack space, though. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
6,654 Posts
Would this have been originally equipped with a flat rear sight leaf? The Spitzer projectile was still a few years to come when this was built. Steel crossbolt? Wasn't that also around 1909? Not completely like it was when it came off the assembly line.
And IIRC the hand guard should also wrap around the rear sight.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I would still give it rack space, though. :cool:
I thought about this, strangely enough the rear sight base is not graduated but properly marked with "Bow and Arrow" (base, leaf, slide, spring) and I do not see any signs of fresh soldering.
There are also some parts in white (barrel band springs, magazine floor plate latch) which are normally blued.
When I saw the rifle on pics I thought it was refinished but it looks original in person (it was morning sun so the pics do not do it justice).
The wood looks original as there are multiple very small markings which would've been erased if even lightly sanded.
If the Spitzer bullet came around 1908 is it possible that the rifle was assembled around that time using leftover 1905 dated parts or is it absolutely superb freshly arsenal converted rifle (from the original 1905 configuration) ?

·
Gold Bullet member
10,639 Posts
Beautiful!

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
17,447 Posts
I think this is a true 1905 Dragoon, but that it was upgraded with new features, post-1909. The blank rear sight base is normal, as it would originally been equipped with the wrap around handguard. I'm not sure when the 2nd variation handguard was introduced, but my recollection is early teens.

I don't see any evidence of refinishing, either. It is majorly fantastico extraordinary special that there it is, yup.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think this is a true 1905 Dragoon, but that it was upgraded with new features, post-1909. The blank rear sight base is normal, as it would originally been equipped with the wrap around handguard. I'm not sure when the 2nd variation handguard was introduced, but my recollection is early teens.

I don't see any evidence of refinishing, either. It is majorly fantastico extraordinary special that there it is, yup.
That makes total sense (the reason for the absent graduations). So I guess it was original 1905 stored in a safe place, upgraded at some point after 1908 and put back in storage? That makes it even more unusual :)))))

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Wow Yuri, just wow

1 - 20 of 33 Posts