Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a Tapco product.... http://www.tapco.com/products/ak_classic/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=294

Cope's has them for $110

Compared to Ironwood the price is much better, it's a finished stock with hardware that is ready to go. Ironwood may be a great product but they are a hassle to order from and they are just inviting other companies to come in and just eat their lunch.

This one says it's for Romanian so I guess it depends which Mak variant you have if it would work or not.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
read a review on AR-15.com. not bad but not good is what I got from it. many years ago I bought one of the first conversion kits from RPB in Georgia. it was a FSE oak stock set rather nice but required fitting, something I was not good at back then. just recently I purchased a beech stock made by Ironwood for my AKM-63 clone, it slipped right in the receiver no problems, no fitting.
so I guess what I am saying is from what I gathered from the review its more like the FSE stock set, a good value for the money but the purchaser was disappointed with what he got.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ended up ordering one for an old Egyptian AK with the uncomfortable thumb hole stock. I had swapped out the internals with TAPCO trigger group as the plan was to order up an Ironwood stock but it was a hassle to try and get through on the phone they don't pick up or email they don't answer and then mail in a check so I never got around to it. The Timber Smith stock was probably the better choice as I only paid $200 for the AK to start with and I didn't want to spend a whole lot on a stock for it.

Initial inspection of the Timber Smith looked good, finish was decent and the mill work looked good all around. The top hand guard was a bit difficult as the Egyptian gas tube hand guard ferrules were slightly too short. After looking at a few other AKs on hand it looks like it's just something peculiar to the Egyptian and I ended up swapping the gas tube for a spare one I had laying around and more or less matched the finish. Apart from that everything else fit up perfectly and the rifle now looks the way an AK was meant to.

Definitely recommend the Timber Smith stock set

1 - 5 of 5 Posts