Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Off of E-Bay I won this rear m96 sight. If you look close you will see that it features a "tilted" Crown... typical of HVA markings.

Am I wrong to think that very few HVA m96 rifles were produced with "ladder" sights?

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,201 Posts
Probably less than 1000 got the M96 ladder sights . I have not seen an actual example of a HVA M96 with that M96 ladder sight . As will all other parts turned over to HVA for production , I am sure they made replacement sights for the M96's . I never thought to look , but there may be some in my collection on CG or Mauser rifles .

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Off of E-Bay I won this rear m96 sight. If you look close you will see that it features a "tilted" Crown... typical of HVA markings.

Am I wrong to think that very few HVA m96 rifles were produced with "ladder" sights? View attachment 768589 View attachment 768590
Tilted Crown alright but not the leafsight that is called m/43 and found on some of the Husqvarna produced FSR m/96. You find that sight in post 11 in this thread http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?52011-Diopters-and-Rear-Sights

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,909 Posts
Probably less than 1000 got the M96 ladder sights . I have not seen an actual example of a HVA M96 with that M96 ladder sight . As will all other parts turned over to HVA for production , I am sure they made replacement sights for the M96's . I never thought to look , but there may be some in my collection on CG or Mauser rifles .
The HVA sight the OP shows is found on numerous CG rifles. Especially those built in the twenties from what I have seen. A couple of the matching rifles I have bought from you in the past are CG with the
HVA sight. But each matches the receiver number. Makes one wonder if perhaps HVA made some sights for CG
during say 1921 through 24 or 25. Dunno on this deal.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stevan1: Ive got a minty 1943 HVA m96 also. Mine features the SM Sikte ASJ sight..... the one with the dial. My s/n is about 1300 after yours. What is considered "low number"? Did yours come without any sign of a disk ever being installed? By looking at the disk screw holes mine appears to never have had screws installed.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,909 Posts
Nope, no disk installed. Most do not have as these were built for the civilian market. Mine never has had any.
Low number by what is shown in Crown Jewels and House of Karlina. As I understand, the perhaps first 5000 rifles had the m43 like I show. But in reading it seems most of these may have been pulled off and replaced by the new and available AGJ. I think all the later ones had the AGJ. The main reason it seems for the rarity of a real m43 sight. Some here have taken years to ever find an m43. My 44 has the AGJ.

I see your new purchase as just a typical M96 3-step made at some point by HVA. Nothing rare to find.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,201 Posts
The M43 sights cannot be replaced by any other sight ( except HVA M38 ) . It has the tall ears & tangent ramp used on the M38 rifles . You would need a new base for the AGJ sights , so probably a new barrel at the same time .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.