Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Let me guess - the seller said it belonged to the honor platoon of the SS Division 'Wiking' who guarded Hitler during his secret visits with Mannerheim. Or some other bunk.

·
Moderator & Gaseous Substance Inspector
1,121 Posts
Examined a 1944 dated Tikka M39 today, with what appeared to be authentic Nazi waffenamts. Whats the deal with this?
If it was authentic, it would be one of kind.

It would be nice to see some pictures though

·
Registered
675 Posts
Let me guess - the seller said it belonged to the honor platoon of the SS Division 'Wiking' who guarded Hitler during his secret visits with Mannerheim. Or some other bunk.
I agree that waffens appearing on a MN would definitely cause me to question their authenticity, but I have the book Sniper on the Eastern Front. Written by one of their (Wehrmacht) better scoring and surviving snipers- Sepp Allerberger. If I recall correctly, he talks about exchanging his weapon (a Z.F. 98) for an S.V.T. that he has the armorer put a scope on and using it because of the preferred power of it's "explosive rounds." It would make since that some sort of capture mark or waffen be put on a Jerry captured MN or SVT, however, I highly doubt that any of them lasted long enough in German hands to be so marked.

And btw, I would say that the S.S. division that guarded A.H. would be the Leibanstandarte Adolf Hitler, if I recall correctly:D

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
22,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do not have the rifle - I was looking at it at a gunshow. A friend of mine has this rifle. I am hoping today to get a local Finn collector to look at it.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,345 Posts
You have to ask youself under what conditions a german weapons inspector would have stamped an ally's rifle as accepted. Particularly when they captured millions Russian 91/30s early in the war and didn't mark those. Not a very plausible scenario in my mind. German items are also the most commonly faked, leading to a plethura of folks with phony stamps to make their humdrum pieces more interesting. Even if it convinces you, 95% of folks out there will still believe it to be a fake of you ever have to sell it. Don't bother.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
74,955 Posts
The WaA (inspector) markings were assigned to various factories. Eg: WaA 140 was FN. So why was the rifle at one of the factories ??

·
Banned
737 Posts

True WaA's are considered a 'factory' stamp, but there are a variety of eagles one might find on a captured piece. In this case, it would be most likely this captured piece would have a depot HZa marking--Kru, Hza, Su, Mu, or similar accompanied by a number (or not) and an eagle. This would denote the rifle was inspected or repaired at a regional depot, and was so marked by that depot. A factory WaA or even a standard eagle-over-swastica fireproof would not be appropriate for a capture piece, but a HZa marking could be 100% legit. The truth is in what the stamp actually is.

Given that, its more likely the rifle in question is fake, as very few German-captured rifles were marked in any way. Much more likely that some huckster has popped on a Numrich stamp to spice up a common gun and therefore jack up the money.

·
Premium Member
9,938 Posts
I would doubt the rifle being real. 57,000 M91/30's that were supplied by the Germans in 1944 and the Tikkas were assembled postwar - but still the odds are much against it. If marked on the barrel no way if marked on the receiver it would be highly doubtful

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.