Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some photos - A great museum also with quite a nice SA shop (more later on that subject)
The last plane is a neat one a gift from the USA. From what I was told it is rather new to display being there for less than a year.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,049 Posts
Nice looking pictures of the Buffalo.....the Brewster Buffalo, that is....not the other two legged buffalo....;-)

The old Brewster's and the Airacobras' are a couple of my favorite old fighters regardless of their lack of being very formidable...they still served their purpose and the Finn's did well with the Brewster's as did the Russians with the Cobras...U.S. was outclassed by the Zero-zen at the time the two old birds were up against them.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
More great pictures. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

·
Moderator & Gaseous Substance Inspector
1,120 Posts
Nice looking pictures of the Buffalo.....the Brewster Buffalo, that is....not the other two legged buffalo....;-)

The old Brewster's and the Airacobras' are a couple of my favorite old fighters regardless of their lack of being very formidable...they still served their purpose and the Finn's did well with the Brewster's as did the Russians with the Cobras...U.S. was outclassed by the Zero-zen at the time the two old birds were up against them.

Unfortunately that is not a Brewster. There are no complete Brewsters left is Finland. This is Humu, which was actually a Finnish made copy. It had wooden wings and soviet engine.

http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/VL_Humu

·
Gold Bullet member
4,947 Posts
Great Pictures Tuco! I have relatives that were crew for a bunch of photo-recon aerocobra's stationed at that time in the midwest. His planes were sent to Russia right off the flightline the way the story was told in the family. The Russians did very well with them I am told. Now that is one museum I would like to visit for sure! Thanks Again for sharing as I have been enjoying all the pictures you have posted. Bill

·
4,049 Posts
Unfortunately that is not a Brewster. There are no complete Brewsters left is Finland. This is Humu, which was actually a Finnish made copy. It had wooden wings and soviet engine.

http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/VL_Humu
Gosh, Lemmy, it sure fooled me.....I just glanced at it and the landing gear flagged it for me as a Brewster along with the birdcage canopy and short strake between the tail and back of the canopy.....didn't pay any attention to the engine...

·
Gold Bullet member
13,572 Posts
Thanks for sharing those nice pics. Do you have a full length picture of the Me109? I love WW2 planes, especially the fighters. If I was Bill Gates, that is what I would collect. Saw a beautiful Yak in Russia last year.

·
Premium Member
9,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry that is all that I have in regards to the 109. There are only two or three of these in all of Finland. Neat items but not common.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Who is that guy in the picture? The one with a head shaped like an eggplant?

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
My god my mother must have been hammered. She did Uncle Fester!

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,918 Posts
Originally Posted by Vic
Who is that guy in the picture? The one with a head shaped like an eggplant?

tuco said:
Your daddy.

My god my mother must have been hammered. She did Uncle Fester!

So, your Mom did your Uncle & gave birth to your Daddy?

remember, I didn't start it......

I'll go away now.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
Thanks for sharing these images. I have never seen a Brewster Buffalo "Taivaan helmi" in real life, let alone a Finnish copy. :eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
As to the P-39 Airacobra, it certainly is a gift from the USA - via Soviet Union. This one in display is one of the two belly landed near Kotka in 1944 on a bog due to fuel exhaustion by Soviet pilots who had flown out of their maps.

·
4,049 Posts
You know, the Buffalo had about the most simple example of retractable gear that you could imagine....look at how few moving parts to the system there are...and none of the gear itself is articulated, just pulled straight up to the gear well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Brewster B-239 F2A-1, BW-372

Hello!

I took this pic of the Brewster at Tikkakoski Museum some time ago. Brought to the museum from USA for a couple of years.

Is this the only existing plane of this type in the world?

Regards,

Mestari

1 - 20 of 22 Posts