Gunboards Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
20,615 Posts
Very cool! Thanks for sharing! Around here (Chicago area) every 10 years or so we will see a story in the local papers about someone remodeling an old house and finding a Thompson machine gun hidden in a wall from the Al Capone gangland days. In all these cases the authorities were contacted, and they were turned over to law enforcement for “museum use.” It always makes me wonder, how many are found like this and not told about to anyone? If it were me finding it, I would not be saying a word.

·
Registered
317 Posts
That’s awesome! I still can’t believe the luck you had in finding that cache. Now they are all three properly fitted for use again. Thanks again for sharing these with us.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Commercial version not Military issue - Just curious as I have a copy of both.
Yep, most likely it was someone’s private rifle, that the finnish red’s confiscated during the civil war (or someone on the red side had it allready before the war).

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yep, most likely it was someone’s private rifle, that the finnish red’s confiscated during the civil war (or someone on the red side had it allready before the war).
Reds- you mean resource hoarded rifle, and liberated for the glorious peoples revolution

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have a 1917 Remington with an interesting Finnish Civil War connection, it was captured by the Germans on the Eastern Front early in its career and fitted with a Type II ersatz bayonet adapter before being shipped to Finland as part of the military aid sent by Germany to the White Finns.

The general consensus is that when the Civil War hostilities ended it was taken home by someone either as a war trophy or for possible future use as a hunting rifle and was squirrelled away for decades as it managed to remain all original and the bayonet adapter is still fitted (been on so long it won’t come off) and it has no subsequent modifications or alterations and nothing to indicate that it ever entered the Finnish military system.It was imported into the UK direct from a Finnish dealer.Other than the bayonet adapter there isn’t a single part on it that it didn’t leave the Remington factory with in 1917.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts