Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I was told to repost this in here, because lot's of Finns are hanging in here. Sorry, no Mosin Nagant's, but some interesting rifles nonetheless.

I am renovating an old mansion house (build in 1825) in Finland. We were clearing the sawdust insulation from the attic, when we discovered three rifles wrapped in newspaper & light brown wrapping paper.

Newspapers are dated 27th of February, 1st of March and 2nd of March 1918 and all newspapers are from the ”red side” of the Finnish Civil War (Työmies and Tiedonantaja for the Finnish member’s).

Original package

Just after opening.

After some mild cleaning (different location).

Aseiden ympärillä olleet lehdet.jpg
Newspapers, that were used for wrapping.

Rifles are in pretty good shape, some corrosion in the butt plates and barrel, because they were sticking out of the package.

Rifles are Mannlicher M1888 (link to thread), Arisaka Type 35 (link to thread) and Winchester Model 1895 (link to thread) (Russian contract, so 7.62x54R). All of them are quite typical rifles for the Finnish Civil War and pretty much in original shape. I posted this same opener in three different groups, but each rifle will be handled in their own group and more details and pictures from the rifles will be in these groups.

UPDATE: I have published more pictures & detailed pictures of each rifle in those threads (links are above).

Finnish authorities handled the case very well and I got a "memento" permit for the rifles (allowed to own, but not to shoot or buy ammo). To be exact, Mannlicher is "license free" as according the Finnish law black powder guns prior 1890 are license free and need no permit.

best regards,
PT66

·
Silver Bullet member
49,996 Posts
Why can’t you guys get ammo, or shoot these?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
With a memento license you can't. If you get a normal gun permit, then of course you can get ammo & shoot. I didn't have a gun permit before, so for me this was the only way. Getting a gun permit has some specific requirements in Finland (more experienced Finns can explain what it requires).

·
Silver Bullet member
49,996 Posts
Thank you my American curiosity was Getting the best of me...
hows the rifling?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
To my understanding rifling is as good as you can expect from a gun that hasn't been used for 102 years. Most likely with moderate cleaning these would shoot like any old gun.

Update: I will try to get pictures of the bore of each gun (but that's quite tricky, especially with Winchester).

·
Registered
431 Posts
To my understanding rifling is as good as you can expect from a gun that hasn't been used for 102 years. Most likely with moderate cleaning these would shoot like any old gun.
But that 1895... OMG you posted this to tease us... Only answer

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Glad that you have found a way to keep them - we in the Australasia as collectors, have the ability to own firearms which can be fired on occasion with police approval.
For other purpose, it is jumping through the hoops to get the necessary licence.

·
Gold Bullet member
694 Posts
I love hearing about the proverbial "attic find" and this certainly is a wonderful package to stumble across! Thanks for sharing. Onnekas!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where is the dust 🤣
You mean the sawdust?? Pictures were taken after the package was carried downstairs. If you look carefully, you can spot some of the sawdust on the floor next to newspapers (some of it was stuck within the newspapers).

·
Registered
886 Posts
As Trump said - looks like fake, a have a lot of old guns, it have a good and excellent condition, but without cleaning, you understand me, what town? I have a far residence near Imatra 😉

·
Oak Leaves with Clusters Member
3,467 Posts
Folks have often posted 1895 Winchesters Russian Contract along with Mosins in the collector's forum here. I think it would be nice to start the Winchester thread here too as many Russian/Soviet collectors rarely visit the other forums. (I only look at this and the history forum, for example.)

Nice find and nice presentation. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,321 Posts
That is a great and amazing good find (after decades in the attic), WOW!!!
+1, and that 1895 Winchester Musket is the cats meow!

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
18,012 Posts
What a treat for us to see. Incredible to know that these survived so well in an attic without getting completely rusted.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts