Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have been a long time GunBoard watcher but havent posted much. I have three Arisakas and I know the model/type of them other then that I dont know much about them. I bought them a while back and got good deals on them. So here is what I have.
T38 (jap symbol for 8) 39401 (korkura symbol) and two lines between the serial and the bolt release so I guess thats the symbol for 4 but not in a circle.Rubberized canvase sling original.
T38 carbine 201483 (what looks like kokura arsenal stamp) on the barrel is a circle with a trangle and a large S,leather sling also attached. I bought it at a gun dealer who I have known forever.The story with the rifle is he bought it from a old ww2 vet who "supposedly got it on Tarawa.Thats what I was told however unless I have a capture paper my rule is who knows where it was picked up.
T99 (jap symbol series 6 in a circle)26781 kokura arsenal mark and cupped but plate.

I need to clean them up as I havent touched them in years,they have been in my safe and just have been collecting other stuff depending on my mood and if I stumble on a good deal.Plus I spent a good amount of time in the angry middle east in the past few years. I will take pics and post them in the next few days as my cammera battery is dead right now and I need to charge it.
But any info would be appreciated, I am going to be focusing my collection toward japanese stuff next.
Thanks

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
Welcome,
clean them up gently and post pictures.

We'll see what you have, but a T 99 series 6 will be Nagoya not Kokura.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
You have a Tokyo made carbine, it would have been made in the late 1930s.

You need good picts of the serial area on the receiver of the rifle and T 99 like the carbine for more info.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
A 200k Koshikawa in the late 30s? I would think a tad earlier than that? Looks decent,the 99 appears to be sanded/resealed. The 38 looks a tad light in color too. The slings are nice to have intact....
Check out p 479 in Frank Allan's T 38 book for the carbine production chart. If I did the arithmetic right, Tokyo reached 200k in about 1938. Very few carbines were made from 1921 to 1936, in fact some years show no production at all. Production really ramped up in 1938 and continued at a fast pace until 1943, when it tapered off again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ok Here are some more Pictures of the T99 03Man you asked for a better picture of the T99 Recvr serial to try to tell what it is. And Pacific War said the stock looked sanded and sealed,yup it is! I took the rifle apart Carefully so I can put it in proper condition and order. And at some point it had been sanded and varnished. Now Should I strip the stock and re do it to a original finish,what was the original finish? Also is a pic of a Arisaka Bayonet that I have picked up along the way some place. And a corner of my gun room after I took some 98k's to the range,I cleaned em and pic was taken before putting them away. I have mostly been a Mauser guy but if I see something good I will pick it up if its at the right price of course.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Ya got it right Don,I didn't realize that 38 carbine production was as low as it was for all series,like 300k. I assUme'd it went along the lines of the long 38s,in the millions. So my 40k 4th series carby was almost 1940 I s'pose. The carbines the pick of the litter there,and if the 38 long looks un-stripped on closer inspection,then it's a ringer too. The 99 just got the short end of the stick,6th isn't a real rare one,I'd turn it at a show or something and use the money to go after an original finish 99 ....

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
6 series, by nagoya T 99, stock is rough. I'd get a better one if you can.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,409 Posts
Check out p 479 in Frank Allan's T 38 book for the carbine production chart. If I did the arithmetic right, Tokyo reached 200k in about 1938. Very few carbines were made from 1921 to 1936, in fact some years show no production at all. Production really ramped up in 1938 and continued at a fast pace until 1943, when it tapered off again.
This doesnt make any sense. On pg, 479 the type 38 carbine production chart has tokyo production ending in 1931 at 210,000. This carbine is numbered 201483, produced well before 1931 not to mention 1938. My number crunching comes up 1924

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help on the T-38's and the T-99. Im in the process right now of cleaning up the type 99,After cleaning up a bunch of 98k Russian captures (especially the stocks) im pretty good with cleaning. The T99 has varnish on it that some one did at some point.I plan on removing it and trying to bring it back to original color. Anyone know what the japanese used on there stocks? This rifle is going to be a shooter for me. I will have my eye open for a good T99 for the collection as well.
Thanks

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
This doesnt make any sense. On pg, 479 the type 38 carbine production chart has tokyo production ending in 1931 at 210,000. This carbine is numbered 201483, produced well before 1931 not to mention 1938. My number crunching comes up 1924
Mike if you added the numbers on a machine and not in your head like I did, you are probably correct. Kokura picked up production in 1938.

Like I said not many were produced in the 1920's, so the diff between 1924 and 1931 is less than 10k carbines.

Just another reason to own the book yourself, then one doesn't have to depend on old men to add up columns of numbers to answer a question.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts