Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I used to work at an outdoor store I was responsible for most of the surplus gun buying. In a lot of Yugo 59's one came in that had a nicely figured walnut stock and it was threaded on the muzzle. I took a slant brake off an AK and it fit perfectly. My question is what would the muzzle be threaded for and how common is it to find them like this. I will include the pictures of the threads and the rifle.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Wow, those Yugos really couldn't sit still!!

I bet this was done for some sort of grenade adaptor.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,405 Posts
Without a detent it really wouldn't be of much good and I've never seen another, I'd say it's rather rare. Although with my 14x1 die I could make as many as you want ;) . Interesting but I'm not sure what it adds to the rifle since it's such an easily copied feature, since you picked it from the distributor I'm sure it came in that way but I've seen people thread other SKS's so hopefully you won't lead others to make their own recreation :) To me the stock is much more interesting with all that figuring.

·
Administrator
19,280 Posts
I'm guessing grenade or blank firing attachment.

·
Registered
972 Posts
They even did M48 Mausers the same way.
My guess is for a silencer, BFA or grenade launcher.
No one really seems to have a definitive answer on the M48's with a threaded muzzle, so I would assume the same for the Yugo 59's.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,660 Posts
Does not look like an ordinary 14/1 turn down on that barrel. The area behind the threads has been milled to a smaller dimater than the threads. That is not a home shop job of running a die on a barrel end. Interesting as to why it was done.

·
Diamond Member
7,162 Posts
When I used to work at an outdoor store I was responsible for most of the surplus gun buying. In a lot of Yugo 59's one came in that had a nicely figured walnut stock and it was threaded on the muzzle. I took a slant brake off an AK and it fit perfectly. My question is what would the muzzle be threaded for and how common is it to find them like this. I will include the pictures of the threads and the rifle.
Jim's nickname at the counter was "The Clutch". Nothing escaped his clutches..except for a m-59 ex-sniper! hee hee

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Denny I think you need a nickname too....

I seem to remember quite a few choice guns heading your way when I overspent and had the back room looking like a dragons hoard of rare guns. I should have made you work harder for that SCW 91/30 and ex-sniper 59. I think I have to call dibs on the first scope and mount we come across. I'm no worse than someone else, who is holding my Tikka 91 ransom. Haven't come across any deals to make you cry yet. Now that I'm back in town that will soon change as I start to poach in your territory.

·
Administrator
19,280 Posts
I'm sure it's original, I do not want to give the impression it wasn't
I see Riddick has found the feral cow avatar...then promptly insults the brotherhood. Grounds for another attempted assasination. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts