Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Another thread question,
What is the thread measurements on the muzzle of the M96 and 38's that have the muzzle threaded?
Need to know as I need to make up a cap for a new addition as here in Western Australia, any muzzle with a threaded end must have a cap on it. AND if you can't prove to the Police that that particular model of rifle comes with a threaded muzzle, you lose the rifle. Yes that's right it's confiscated and you are charged with ilegal possesion of a prohibited firearm, all because it has a threaded muzzle.
many thanks in anticipation.
Cheers
NED:):confused:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Would it not be easier to order a metal cap?

I still remember the photos of all the Aussie guns they grabbed back when they imposed their crack-down.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,661 Posts
The thread is 14x1mm.

The model of rifle with the threaded muzzle is m/96b. The 'b' is for the threaded muzzle which was for a blank shredding attachment to shred the wooden bullet used by the blanks.

Dutchman

·
2,661 Posts
Ned--

Print out these two pictures and take them to the police. They show the threaded muzzle and blank firing devise. Both these photos are from the Swedish soldier's manual called "Soldatinstruktion" (soldier instruction).

If you need any more information you let me know and I'll do what I can for you.

Dutchman

·
Registered
378 Posts
Dutchman, despite the original intent of the Swedish Military, I believe the concern of the WA Police is that threaded barrels can be used to mount silencers, which are highly illegal here in Australia.

A rifle modified to accept a silencer would therefore be a "Prohibited Weapon", even if the modification was actually intended to be for a blank projectile shredder. WA has the strictest gun laws in Australia, and if they say the rifle must have a cap to go over the thread, no amount of historical factualism or arguments to the contrary will dissuade them from this point of view.

Ned, you can get Flash Hiders from the gunshows occaisonally which thread onto the end of the barrel. Give Lawrance Ordnance a call and see if they've got any spares, otherwise Brian LaBudda is likely to be your best bet.

·
2,661 Posts
Ned said in his first note that with proper documentation to show that the threading was original to military useage the rifle wouldn't be confiscated.

"AND if you can't prove to the Police that that particular model of rifle comes with a threaded muzzle, you lose the rifle."

I gave him what he needed to show that the m/96b comes with a threaded muzzle and what the muzzle threading is for.

Dutchman

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ned,

The Numrich Gun Parts Corporation sells both the threaded cap and flashhiders. The cap goes for $7.65 and the flashhider $23.40. Their web site is:

www.e-gunparts.com

Just click on the letter M, then Mauser, and then 96 Swedish. Then scroll down to the Key Numbers 50 and 51 and click on them. Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,400 Posts
Thread on muzzle of rifles

Ned,

The Numrich Gun Parts Corporation sells both the threaded cap and flashhiders. The cap goes for $7.65 and the flashhider $23.40. Their web site is:

www.e-gunparts.com

Just click on the letter M, then Mauser, and then 96 Swedish. Then scroll down to the Key Numbers 50 and 51 and click on them. Hope this helps.

Mike
There you go! They also have them on Ebay from time to time under Swedish Mauser...;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
everyone right

The rifle is licensed and home.
I actually had no worries getting it done BUT better to be prepared than losing it!!
303, mate your are correct and if documentation can be supplied it is OK, Thats what Dutchman supplied as requested. Hope full next week I will post some pics, it came up a treat !!!!
Cheers
NED

·
Gold Bullet member
378 Posts
Also send them these pics if they bother you any more.... ;)

Swedish BFA (Blank Firing Attachment) designed to be used with WOODEN bullets

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

The following pics show ..........

M96 or M38 threaded barrel rifle ............... plastic or metal thread protector ..................... BFA mounted for use

(Click PIC to Enlarge)(Click PIC to Enlarge)

Swedish 6.5 x 55mm m/14 wooden-bullet blanks for use with threaded muzzle BFA (blank firing attachment).

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

Regards,
Badger

1 - 10 of 10 Posts