Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It does come with the original leaf sight that I can switch the scope and mount out for.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,871 Posts
Looks like honest wear to me, but the question is how much does it cost? THere are better ones out there, but you will pay for better quality too.

Oops! I just took another look at the scotch brite issue. Does look like someone got aggressive trying to clean it up.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My 2 cents; some nut took the Russian blue off to give it some wear like you see on BB guns called the "battlefield finish". They take a buffer and rub off the black uniform finish to make it look worn. See this as an example of a rub down I am referring to: Webley pellet pistol in Battlefield finish IN STOCK - Surplus Rifle Forum - www.surplusrifleforum.org

now the few close up photos of that RC suggest they did not use a soft buffer, rather a coarse green scrubby or a coarse wire wheel to remove some of the uniform black-blue Russian RC blue. Its finish on the metal looks like hell. If its dirt cheep, say $200 then I'd say OK.

I would rather have an intact RC with its finish and stock as found. But those are pushing $700-900. Did you read and see my posted intact specimens of RC K98k rifles on page one of this post?

A good number of nice intact RCs first sold at $200 were converted to hunting rifles or aged to look more German by altering/refinishing the stock to a blond and removing the deep rich black-blue and electropenciled numbers on the bolt and other parts for WW II reenacting. Others spent more cash and got Mitchell's K98k mausers with faked matching numbers and a very crisp blond stock and made them more dirty for reenacting. So on the example you show, you got the original stock reddish brown, but an added cheep scope and scrubbed nasty finish on that specimen. I would consider it a dog, but a nice shooter at $200-300. I guess you got to ask yourself if you want an intact Russian specimen as a shooter and a Russian Capture example, or a hunting rifle that you do not care what was modified? Have you reviewed the Empire Arms sales history as a condition & price/value guide? Dennis does not sell junk or dogs-- generally great stuff.
He provides a list of items sold over the years with photos and its sold price: Maybe see:

see 14 March for the last one sold...
and 13 July 2021

You seem to be in a hurry to get an RC? Slow Down, and do some reading. See what you might like for your purpose. Always buy the best specimen for the money on hand.

Key attributes to consider: refinished stock, pinged markings, barrel condition (if a shooter) metal condition. And do not even consider RTI.

In all honesty, the barrel looks nice, and stock is intact. No pings and there are ways to undo the scratches to get it back to a RC black-blue, but gunboards or most forums are not the place to talk about altering a surplus rifle. You would have to review some reenactment boards. I would pass, but I know plenty of people that would tear off their pocket to get $400-500 out to buy it, then try to restore the finish. :(:censored::censored::eek:

In the antique shop, there are many a lamp I turn back into "original condition". When done if someone says nice lamp, but it needs a cleaning....you did a restoration correct.
Way off topic Victory lamps :

So it's price, and what you want a mauser for. You might want to consider a 1950s sporter K 98 for a shooter & hunting rifle. Those are at most shows in WI and are cheep. But cut barrels and chopped or bishop stocks.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It depends on what you want it for?
Collector or shooter?
Collector, see previous post.
Shooter.....well, it looks like the barrel doesn't look too bad, so could be a good shooter and therefore buy worth buying.
(that rifle is only the serial block before my own ex-Norwegian surrender, 243 1940)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It depends on what you want it for?
Collector or shooter?
Collector, see previous post.
Shooter.....well, it looks like the barrel doesn't look too bad, so could be a good shooter and therefore buy worth buying.
(that rifle is only the serial block before my own ex-Norwegian surrender, 243 1940)
I’m getting it as a shooter. Don’t really need a collectors piece. That’s what my Lugers for.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,417 Posts
Suggest not diving-into it.
The above specimen is a MESS, in fact.
As 72usmc has advised: "slow down".

Patience will payoff: been a member for all of 14 hrs at this point. Draw a breath, & lock-up the cash which is burning holes in the pockets.

Reactions: Frosty

·
Registered
252 Posts
I’m getting it as a shooter. Don’t really need a collectors piece. That’s what my Lugers for.
In that case, looks OK, if bore/rifling and headspace all check out OK, and as you say, it comes with the original sight parts to removes the scope and mount and return to mil spec.
My sniper repro is a RC, and its shoots lovely.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,134 Posts
My 2 cents; some nut took the Russian blue off to give it some wear like you see on BB guns called the "battlefield finish". They take a buffer and rub off the black uniform finish to make it look worn. See this as an example of a rub down I am referring to: Webley pellet pistol in Battlefield finish IN STOCK - Surplus Rifle Forum - www.surplusrifleforum.org

now the few close up photos of that RC suggest they did not use a soft buffer, rather a coarse green scrubby or a coarse wire wheel to remove some of the uniform black-blue Russian RC blue. Its finish on the metal looks like hell. If its dirt cheep, say $200 then I'd say OK.

I would rather have an intact RC with its finish and stock as found. But those are pushing $700-900. Did you read and see my posted intact specimens of RC K98k rifles on page one of this post?

A good number of nice intact RCs first sold at $200 were converted to hunting rifles or aged to look more German by altering/refinishing the stock to a blond and removing the deep rich black-blue and electropenciled numbers on the bolt and other parts for WW II reenacting. Others spent more cash and got Mitchell's K98k mausers with faked matching numbers and a very crisp blond stock and made them more dirty for reenacting. So on the example you show, you got the original stock reddish brown, but an added cheep scope and scrubbed nasty finish on that specimen. I would consider it a dog, but a nice shooter at $200-300. I guess you got to ask yourself if you want an intact Russian specimen as a shooter and a Russian Capture example, or a hunting rifle that you do not care what was modified? Have you reviewed the Empire Arms sales history as a condition & price/value guide? Dennis does not sell junk or dogs-- generally great stuff.
He provides a list of items sold over the years with photos and its sold price: Maybe see:

see 14 March for the last one sold...
and 13 July 2021

You seem to be in a hurry to get an RC? Slow Down, and do some reading. See what you might like for your purpose. Always buy the best specimen for the money on hand.

Key attributes to consider: refinished stock, pinged markings, barrel condition (if a shooter) metal condition. And do not even consider RTI.

In all honesty, the barrel looks nice, and stock is intact. No pings and there are ways to undo the scratches to get it back to a RC black-blue, but gunboards or most forums are not the place to talk about altering a surplus rifle. You would have to review some reenactment boards. I would pass, but I know plenty of people that would tear off their pocket to get $400-500 out to buy it, then try to restore the finish. :(:censored::censored::eek:

In the antique shop, there are many a lamp I turn back into "original condition". When done if someone says nice lamp, but it needs a cleaning....you did a restoration correct.
Way off topic Victory lamps :

So it's price, and what you want a mauser for. You might want to consider a 1950s sporter K 98 for a shooter & hunting rifle. Those are at most shows in WI and are cheep. But cut barrels and chopped or bishop stocks.
👍

1 - 12 of 12 Posts