Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted this on the US forum, as well.

I'm interested in anyone's opinion on this rifle. It looks legitimate, but I have not had a chance to inspect in person.

Thoughts and observations are appreciated, as would be a ballpark value.

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
From what can be seen it is a rebuilt legit 03A4. An M84 is not wrong for the rifle, just not original. The cheek pad is like sand on a baby's butt, just feels wrong. Another rifle worth a close look and more pictures. Good luck.

Ball park value is always dependant on more facts. Barrel date and markings, the stock markings, stock cut for the bolt, pretty sure the bolt is real, etc.. Lets throw out $3K to 5K just to take in all the variables.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,609 Posts
From what can be seen it is a rebuilt legit 03A4. An M84 is not wrong for the rifle, just not original. The cheek pad is like sand on a baby's butt, just feels wrong. Another rifle worth a close look and more pictures. Good luck.

Ball park value is always dependant on more facts. Barrel date and markings, the stock markings, stock cut for the bolt, pretty sure the bolt is real, etc.. Lets throw out $3K to 5K just to take in all the variables.
+1. Need more pictures but looks like a legit rebuilt A4 sniper.

·
Registered
749 Posts

Also 03 Trigger guard assembly. At this juncture i would peg the value at $2000. to $2500.

·
Registered
390 Posts
It is an obvious put-together rifle utilizing some original parts. The receiver is original, the scope is original, the scope mount and rings are original. The stock is in terrible condition. IF it was an original 03-A4 stock, then someone ruined it by making a very sloppy bolt notch cut-out. I don't believe it was an original A4 stock, but rather an original C-Stock modified to accept a turned bolt. Speaking of the bolt, it looks very suspect to me. It has a bit of an odd bend in it and I would definitely want some additional close-up shots to ensure it is a legit bolt and not a Bubba special....which are everywhere. As was stated, the trigger group is not correct either, and you would want to verify that the barrel is an original A4 barrel and not a regular barrel with the front sight removed and parkerized. Don't make a significant investment in this parts rifle. I wouldn't throw more than $2k at it...and that's if the scope has goods lens'.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a 3-43 barrel, but I'm getting better photos of the bolt and stock where it's inletted for the bolt.

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
I think the bolt is original. But the stock is not a original sniper stock.

I agree. Stock cut is not an A4 cut but the expensive bolt looks OK.

Around here, and I am in NC as is bones, a rifle like that will bring about $3500, warts and all. The asking price for an M84 with mount or rings is typically $1500, which is silly IMO, but that is the market. Those that can get something like this for $2k can make some profit in this market.

Bones, the bottom of the barrel just under where the front sight would be is a point of interest. Additionally, there should be no sign of a front sight ever installed. Probably best to look for a rifle with less issues and spend a bit more if you can.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What should one see on the bottom of the barrel under where the front sight would be?

·
Gold Bullet member
13,133 Posts
Probably best to look for a rifle with less issues and spend a bit more if you can.
This is excellent, all purpose advice that collectors should follow whenever possible. Life is filled with problems and it makes little sense to intentionally acquire more.

·
Registered
749 Posts
A March-43 barrel is very early considering the serial number.
I agree the bolt is real but there are a number of signs of civilian tinkering (Cheek pad, Magazine box assy, Bolt handle relief) - proceed w/ care. If you just got have it I still say $2500.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm still out on the bolt. I would want to see the milling marks on the backside of the bolt handle. (The side closest to the shooters face when installed in the rifle). It could be real, but do you wan to make a $400 mistake by not looking at the details? I've seen much better examples sell for well less than $3500. If you just want a shooter quality rifle, then try to get it for as cheap as possible. If you are into collector value and want to gain the most in appreciation, then pass and wait for a better example for little more $.

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,746 Posts
Did I miss what the OP said the price was? So far I agree with most everything. Bolt looks ok, 1952 Cheek pad looks ok from distance (not a big deal). The major point is of course the stock, somebody ruined a nice "C" Stock. Even so, at auction this would, as mentioned, go well over $3,000. Would be curious what the price is. Skid

·
Gold Bullet member
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
It's a bit confusing, as I have seen auctions of similar rifles (ones with issues, such as suspect bolt cutout), but selling for less. I think we tend to overvalue things on Gunboards, vis-à-vis real world results. Except, of course, the occasional obscure auction where crazy prices result between bidders with more money than knowledge.

The general consensus I get, after having asked a friend who knows these much better, is that it is likely a pieced-together item. Which is fine, as long as one keeps that in mind.

·
Registered
749 Posts
The A4 market is very very soft imo.
I agree. I believe the proliferation of A4 "clones" over the last several years has driven prices lower. The one potential saving grace is that the clone market seems to be drying up.
If you look at CMP auction prices from about four or five years ago virtually any run-of-the-mill rebuilt would net about $5500. and there were dozens of them.

Regards,
Jim

·
Gold Bullet member
11,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's the trouble with the proliferation of information, combined with the greatly-improved technical ability to replicate items. It gives people the tools to fabricate items that can deceive even the trained eye. This is one of the reasons I've never ventured into vintage sniper rifles much. I also wonder about the scope, as I've seen reproductions online that look fantastic. Add a little aging and "patina" and probably 90% of us wouldn't know any better. I certainly wouldn't.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.