Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently picked this up and was looking for some opinions from those more knowledgeable on the '03 than I am.

All parts are Remington as far as I can tell but the stock must be a later replacement due to the lack of inspector marks.
Stock appears to be "rough" in spots.
The bolt is parked.
The rear band has obvious wear not consistent with the finish on the rest of the metalwork.

Serial dates it to 1942, barrel is dated 10-42
(corrected wrong dates)

I got these from an estate, this came with a Winchester 75 Parkerized heavy barrel, dates to 1941.
Supposedly these came from either the CMP or Rock Island Auction.
The 75 is now in a high gloss commercial stock which I was told was common for the CMP to do to military 75's when they were sold.

I have a military stock for the 75, complete with what appears to be an arsenal repair.
My question on it is should I restore it by removing the Lyman peeps and putting it in the mil stock or just leave it as is?
I figure I'll keep the mil stock and if I ever sell offer it along with the rifle.

Thoughts on the '03? CMP resto or parts gun?
Thoughts on the 22, smae thing, CMP or bubba? Restore or not?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,013 Posts
nice looking 03

you are correct on the stock, Scants were all replacements,
who knows who replaced it, ,

I have 2 Win 75's,
one military, one commercial,
the military is in a standard looking dull finish stock, the commercial is in a high gloss like yours,

I say shoot it as is, and offer the stock if you decide to sell,

no idea about the CMP selling 75's, don't recall them ever offering 75's but I may have missed it,

when they did sell 513t's, they were mixed, some blued guns, some parked guns, some mixed (got some mossbergs that way as well)

FWIW, my 75's are very accurate, with the right ammo they will outshoot my 513t's

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Does the Win 75 have a sn# on it??? A military rifle would. Not sure on a "U.S." marking, but all the other US military .22s I have from that period - do.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the Win 75 have a sn# on it??? A military rifle would. Not sure on a "U.S." marking, but all the other US military .22s I have from that period - do.
Yes, and I have checked it, made in 1941.
It is a heavy barrel and parkerized, the parking underneath is like new, the exposed areas have turned a bit darker.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
A 10-41 barrel would be a VERY early Remington M1903. Can you reveal at least the first 3-4 digits of the serial number?

The stock is a replacement. Assuming the serial number is as early as the barrel, the correct stock would have been a grasping groove stock with an RLB inspection stamp.

The "metal" that I can see appears to be correct/original. Hard to tell in the light, but may have been refinished. I have #3,003,256 and have seen LN Remingtons #3,000,800 and 3,000,056.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A 10-41 barrel would be a VERY early Remington M1903. Can you reveal at least the first 3-4 digits of the serial number?

The stock is a replacement. Assuming the serial number is as early as the barrel, the correct stock would have been a grasping groove stock with an RLB inspection stamp.

The "metal" that I can see appears to be correct/original. Hard to tell in the light, but may have been refinished. I have #3,003,256 and have seen LN Remingtons #3,000,800 and 3,000,056.
I'm obviously an idiot or have dyslexia.

The serial is 3051313, not 3005131 as I had wrote down and the barrel is 10-42.
(I've been re-cataloging all my firearms and I must have wrote the '03 stuff in my book at 3am...)

So according to the Remington Society website, the receiver was made between Feb-Mar 1942 and the barrel 10-42.

What are the chances this is the barrel original to the receiver?

Did someone just put a lot of effort into reworking it?

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Thanks - maybe you posted the s/n and I was just too dumb to notice that!! :)

With that much difference, I doubt the barrel is original. Remington barrels were nearly always 0-3 months "earlier" than the indicated receiver date of manufacture. On the other hand, I have a 3,283,000 range Remington 1903 with an 11-42 barrel but with the receiver dating to Nov., 1941 and the bolt dating to that early date as well. The blank receiver had been held back for some reason and then finished almost a year later, as had the bolt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts