Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The new 6.8x51mm round can push a 135gr bullet at 3,000 fps out of a 16-inch barrel, and with a 80,000 psi chamber pressure. A 300 Win Mag round can do better with lower chamber pressure (about 62,000 psi), but is too much bigger.

If defeating body armor is the major reason of the new round, is the current 7.62x51mm round worth of improvement?

The M240 machine guns will be re-barreled for the new round.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
So...... NATO is going to do the same?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I predict a giant fail for the entire program.

Basically, they are going back to the 50s in terms of the round, high pressure is going to beat the hell out of the weapons, imagine the control issues with the rifles on full auto, if that's even an option.

We know how FA worked on the M14.

Remember this is an experiment for the elite Army fighters, not a changeover to the entire military.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Did not Britian put forth a 6.8 round in the 50’s for their bull pup?

Reactions: tacfoley2

·
Registered
728 Posts
Considering the state of the gear I've seen of Russian combat troops in Ukraine, I'd say this concern over armored enemy troops is completely overblown. I would put down money saying the Chinese military is in similar shape since they don't even issue optics to their regular troops. If both of them don't have armor, no one else we fight would either.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Considering the state of the gear I've seen of Russian combat troops in Ukraine, I'd say this concern over armored enemy troops is completely overblown. I would put down money saying the Chinese military is in similar shape since they don't even issue optics to their regular troops. If both of them don't have armor, no one else we fight would either.
Your picture is far from complete. The "near peer adversary" aka China will be something that the U.S. has never seen. It's the WW2 Soviet Union, the Imperial Japan, and the Nazi Germany all in one.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Your picture is far from complete. The "near peer adversary" aka China will be something that the U.S. has never seen. It's the WW2 Soviet Union, the Imperial Japan, and the Nazi Germany all in one.
Everybody said the same thing about the Russians but it really just looks like they have good PR. If you watch any Chinese military footage, you don't really seem them in plate carriers, have optics on their rifles, or even have night vision attachment points on their helmets. I'm not saying its impossible, but it's very unlikely they are true "near peer" status on a solider to soldier basis. Don't get me wrong, I definitely recognize that quantity has a quality all its own and they have a large population to bulk up quickly but I would not put their individual troops on a pedestal.

·
Gold Bullet member
918 Posts
from the tests we've seen so far, it is impressive, very flat shooting round. when they first started doing the pre evals, some were "almost" caseless rounds, but, had a hard time with the belt feds

1 - 20 of 79 Posts