Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
7,950 Posts
Better in what regard? For collectibility, an M1911 in tip top shape due to relative rarity.
For shooting it gets more complicated. The K31 can be enhanced with the excellent diopter sight and scope mount. You can now add a scope and diopter the M1911 and K11 with the Swiss Products mount, but it is undeniably bulky.

If you are only shooting irons, the K31 sight is calibrated from 100 meters onwards, while the M1911 (and K11) sight starts at 300 meters. However, you can get a 100 yard zero by replacing the front sight with a taller blade. Another factor is the location of the rear sight. The long receiver positions the M1911/K11 rear sight further away from the shooter's eye. This is a disadvantage for most shooters, but a boon to older shooters with presbyopia (fancy term for "old eyes.)

·
Registered
458 Posts
I would give the nod to the K31 on its shorter, front locking bolt vs the longer rear-locking bolt of the 1911. It's a more rigid and robust system in my opinion. K31's are also fantastic shooters, especially with the aforementioned diopter sights which are very easy to attach and use requiring no aftermarket with an original swiss set. Shot on a standard NRA SR1. I am, however not an ardent collector or enthusiast of swiss rifles, so would definitely have to defer to the more experienced among us.

Disclaimer : use internet reloading data at your own risk.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
In the past 45 years of Swiss cartridge load data collecting here at the SP range in Lost Prairie, I can attest to the fact that all things being equal, across a broad spectrum of rifles during load data collecting, the G11s outshoot K31s almost hands down. I found this to be true using various combinations of projectiles/powders and GP11 cartridges.
The reasons are more or less exactly what Leon posted.
And, yes , we also carry the 100 yard sight blades for all of them.
P

NOTE: pressures in the 308 NATO are at approximately 55,000. The G 11 is already proven to be fully capable of handling that much pressure.

Reactions: Comrade Mike

·
Registered
458 Posts
SP - So if I am understanding you, are you attributing the G11's outshooting K31's solely to the distance of the rear sight from the shooter? Have you done any testing with optics on both rifles that would isolate the inherit mechanical accuracy of the two?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Mike, it's a bit more involved than that but as for comparison with optics, we're the ones that actually manufacture the mounts for Diopters, the Diopters themselves and Scope optics for those rifles, so we spent a lot of time working with and without, but all of our shooting is done from an Accurite Rest which takes the human out of the equation altogether. Using that, the rifles are forced to perform on their own merits without anyone touching them.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,950 Posts
If your objective is grouping at 300 yds and beyond, the order of merit is: M1911, K31, K11. The reason is simple; with the same GP11 the M1911's almost 30" barrel exploits the GP11 optimally.

That said, I still prefer the K11 to all of them simply because it balances better than the others. The M1911/K11 action is also smoother than the K31's, assuming all have been properly lubricated with grease. For accuracy and sighting options with a scope or a diopter, the K31 rules, but for just pure shooting fun I still like the K11.

·
Banned
66 Posts
The Swiss 1911 is reputed to have less strength than the K 31. Either will manage Swiss service ammo, but for the 1911, its the top end of its safety level.

There are minor differences and I don't have the right book handy to detail them, sorry. I have some shooting experience with the K 31, and swiss ammo, which is match grade performance, although that stuff is scarce today. Very accurate. Relatively mild recoil for the class of cartridge, as the rifle is not light. Felt a bit odd to work the straight pull, and it ejects out the "wrong" side!

Trigger pull was good for a military rifle of the period, and the stock fir me well enough, although I found the wrist too thick for real comfort.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,950 Posts
...Felt a bit odd to work the straight pull, and it ejects out the "wrong" side!
The Swiss straight pulls I mentioned eject straight up out of the receiver and forward over the muzzle. At least that is what happens when you work the action with a modicum of energy. A weak pull will send the case flying off in an unintended direction.

It is fun to watch the ejected case somersault over the rifle, but having to stomp around in the boonies to police up my brass is a pain. So I and many other shooters "milk" the oprod and just pull the fired case out of the breech and fish it out of the receiver.

Trigger pull was good for a military rifle of the period, and the stock fir me well enough, although I found the wrist too thick for real comfort.
The joy of the Swiss straight pulls is the superb trigger. The M1911/K11 trigger differs significantly from the K31's, but both still provide the absolute best 2-stage trigger action of any contemporary issue military rifle. (Note: my Swedes and Finn Mosin Nagants have great triggers too, but typically require a couple minutes of honing the sear and striker faces.)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Leon's advice and statements and observations are most often always dead on, and I enjoy reading his comments. In this case, we will have to agree to disagree about the K 31's performance over the G11, all things being equal.

Reactions: illmti

·
Registered
501 Posts
As a cast bullet shooter I much prefer the k11 and 1911 over the k31. The k31 seems to have a shorter throat vs the other two. The last k31 I owned the forestock was warped. I'm not saying they are all like that but something to consider. I bought my Swiss rifles at Simpson's and highly recommend that outfit. For around $500 you can own one heck of a nice rifle. My two cents worth.

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
From a competitive shooting point of view, where one uses a sling to support the rifle in prone and kneeling, I think the K31 has an advantage. The long slight forearm of the JG11, with the front bearing sleeve is very sling pressure sensitive. If you are shooting in the V or VS class, in events where the forearm can be supported, well then that is not an issue.

That said shooting an event with a Anschutz sighted JG11 or 96/11 is a blast. Shooting for a medal with a 108 year old rifle, against modern rifles, what other event can you do that (yeah I know they are not technically in the running anymore, but many clubs allow it).

IE a 1913 M1903 is not going to be competitive against an NM16A4 or even a NM M1 in the NMC.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Umm... what is a "JG11"? I've heard of the K11, M1911, Langgewehr 1911.
I always assumed people started writing that because the old timey “I” looked like a “J”, so it’s the same old “IG11” (Infanterie Gewehr?) they say in Switzerland, but maybe I assumed wrong.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,950 Posts
I always assumed people started writing that because the old timey “I” looked like a “J”, so it’s the same old “IG11” (Infanterie Gewehr?) they say in Switzerland, but maybe I assumed wrong.
OK, "J" can understand the archaic use of "J" for "I" but why not "RG11" = Repetiergewehr 1911?

·
Premium Member
2,345 Posts
99-9 has it right, the German script shows the Infantrie Gewehr as JG11 to my "Englander" eyes. I sucks so bad at German in high school the only way I managed not to fail was to learn vocabulary as if they were just additional English, hence writing them as such, not properly translated.

·
Registered
284 Posts

These are excerpts from "Das Schiesswesen in der Schweiz", and show 25-round machine rest groups between the Kar. 31 and the Ig. 11. To me, the Ig. 11 is clearly inferior in terms of precision.... am I missing something?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mike, it's a bit more involved than that but as for comparison with optics, we're the ones that actually manufacture the mounts for Diopters, the Diopters themselves and Scope optics for those rifles, so we spent a lot of time working with and without, but all of our shooting is done from an Accurite Rest which takes the human out of the equation altogether. Using that, the rifles are forced to perform on their own merits without anyone touching them.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,950 Posts
View attachment 3824365 View attachment 3824366

These are excerpts from "Das Schiesswesen in der Schweiz", and show 25-round machine rest groups between the Kar. 31 and the Ig. 11. To me, the Ig. 11 is clearly inferior in terms of precision.... am I missing something?
At what range were these targets shot? As an artilleryman, I see these results a bit differently. We artillerymen think of dispersion in terms of "CEP" - circular error of probability. The artllery CEP is a circle flat on the ground, and the statistic is the number of rounds that land inside the circle vs. the ones that land outside. So "CEP" takes into account, and combines, range probable error and lateral dispersion. The rifle targets above are akin to CEP targets, only vertical instead of horizontal.

What is significant to me is the number of hits within the "CEP" circle compared with the hits outside of it. That perspective makes the "JG11" still look pretty good.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts