Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a small local gun show last weekend and very nearly made it out the door without spending any money until a ran into a well know Japanese collector/dealer who frequents all the area shows. I ended up buying a Japanese flag from him despite not really knowing much about them. The flag is approximately 36in by 25in and looks to be made of a very thin woven fabric. It is faded to a yellowish color and has a number of holes that I believe to be insect related although shrapnel would certainly be a cooler explanation. It also has some brownish stains in the upper left corner that could be anything but certainly looks like blood(again that would be cooler). Anyone know enough about Japanese flags to give me a better idea what I have? I only paid 50$ and it will look good on my wall next to my Arisaka's and Nambu regardless but some more information would be welcomed greatly.

·
Registered
656 Posts
That is one cool flag you got there. I am new to the Japanese militaria game myself and am in the process of obtaining my third flag (this one is signed but by some of the American soldiers who captured the flag). My first one is in a lot rougher shape than yours but is no less cool. I got it from the marine who brought it home after the war. I was lucky then that he only wanted $30 for it since he had other Japanese stuff that he gave to his grandkids. Sadl no one wanted the flag so it came to a show hence how I bought it. Ever since that purchase I have been jonesing for more pieces for my Japanese display. Be careful since, as you might already know, this stuff is very addictive.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,996 Posts
Hard to say about the damage. It might be bugs, or something else. If shrapnel, there would be a pattern, from one fold, to another. Unless it was damaged, unfolded. If you scroll down and look at my newest flags, you'll see what I mean. Interesting piece. Yes, they can be very addictive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.