Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a list or a link to show some aftermarket Tommy gun copycats? I saw one for $700 at a pawn shop, but the name slips my memory. If I see the name, I'll remember. I'm not looking for the different variations, just other manufacturers other than Thompson. Maybe Chinese???? Thanks

·
Gold Bullet member
1,228 Posts
Karr or Auto Ordinance will be found on all US made Thompsons. AO is the company name. Bought 20 years ago or so by Karr and made by them.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
The only two makers were Numrich Arms/Gun Parts, and now Kahr Arms.
Numrich bought the Auto Ordnance company, maker of the Thompson guns after WWII, and sold it to Kahr a few years ago.

There were several cheap guns that vaguely resembled the Thompson but NONE were anything more than that....just vague look-alikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There were several cheap guns that vaguely resembled the Thompson but NONE were anything more than that....just vague look-alikes.
Eagle, Spitfire and early Volunteer Carbines were open bolt firearms that borrowed from the look of the Thompson. But with their round receiver and bolt, a very close design simular to a Greasegun and used the Greasegun mag. The Spitfire was declared a machinegun due slight to differences in their design over the others.

That and an Italian injection mold for the frame, along with a stock pile of mags found in Norway (250 thousand) fromr WWII. Volunteer redesigned their firearm to appear more Thompson like and use the Thomson gun stick mag. Cost per Greasegun mag $3.60 each Cost of a Thompson mag 35cents.

They went through several internal struggles and copyright suits.

The list of like firearms are in order of manufacturing

Eagle Carbine
Eagle MK II ( .45acp & 9mm)
Spitfire Carbine
Volunteer Carbine
Apache
Volunteer MK III
Volunteer MK V ( MK V copywritten by Webley)
Commando Mk .45
Commando MK 9 (9 MM)
Manchester Arms MK.45, Mk 9, MK 45 Pistol, MK 9 Pistol

While they may not have had a widely known existance, You can find these in fair to unfired condition. Prices vary just like any other firearm. It all depends on what you are into.

As for me I'm into it all............. check out my albums and vid below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvxbZ4guu7o

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one I spotted at the pawn shop was a Volunteer Arms (see, I told you I would remember when I heard the name). It didn't have the large open magwell like a Thompson. It had what appeared to be, a cast lower reciever, with a cast grip, and magwell that came down. So I'm thinking that it would not accept Thompson mags. Probably the grease gun mags?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, That is the Volunteer MK III. It has the square upper receiver with the side cocking handle simular to the M1A1 Thompson. But it does use a Greasegun Mag. all these variants only take a stick mag unless you have a Stoney Creek Mac 10 drum. Basically the top portion of a Greasegun mag mated to a drum.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, That is the Volunteer MK III. It has the square upper receiver with the side cocking handle simular to the M1A1 Thompson. But it does use a Greasegun Mag. all these variants only take a stick mag unless you have a Stoney Creek Mac 10 drum. Basically the top portion of a Greasegun mag mated to a drum.

Is this a desirable firearm? Value? I'm guessing probably not too much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is this a desirable firearm? Value? I'm guessing probably not too much.
You would be suprised!

Before the Great Gunboards Forum debacle in Tuco's first Shot reviews the was a 13 plus pages of info, photo's and interested members that desire this firearm very much.

Value is relative, but anywhere from $400 in fair to $1200 in like new condition depending on the variant.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.