Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96/38 is like many others, but it is what I have. Please remember that when my milsurps were purchased we had not previously seen these weapons for sale. When my forefathers wanted a long gun, they were offered something made by Winchester, Remmington, or Savage. Suddenly during my youth these exotic military weapons were being sold. Books about these guns were unknown to us. Fortunately, American Rifleman would sometimes publish and article about them, unfortunately including instructions on how to sporterise them. I love this little rifle and its cartridge. It has a light compact stock that fits most humans. The cartridge, over 100 years old is adequate for men and most beasts. After all W.D,M. Bell killed all his African game with the 7mm, only slightly larger. He did not exempt the elephant. Apparently, the U.S. military is looking to adopt a 6.8 round. The 6.5 Swede would be a good starting point. The bolt on this rifle is butter smooth, cocking upon closing. No need to crank the weapon thirty degrees to the right after working the bolt as is necessary with the '98. I think the stock disk indicates the bore is well worn. In my experience the most likely reason for me to score a miss is my own inability. The Swedes have constantly produced excellent weapons and other mechanical devices. Other nations have always chosen their military products to kill one another while Sweden wisely remained neutral. Apparently, our Swedish friends use their long cold winters to do more than make more Swedes!

Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory Shotgun Trigger

Fluid Liquid Aircraft Gas Tints and shades

Wood Gas Cylinder Bicycle part Engineering
Wood Gauge Gas Font Clock

Musical instrument Wood Bell Idiophone Gas

Wood Electric blue Metal Fashion accessory Tool

When I was a boy Grandpa, S. J. Stevenson of New Hampshire, did not take me to Chuckie Cheese. We went hunting. Grandpa with his .300 Savage, and me with my Daisy.

Wood Art Wall Painting Visual arts

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,267 Posts
Beautiful rifle but I really love the picture. Takes me back a long time ago. The old timers wore wool pants, several layers of shirts with wool being last, the high socks, lace up leather boots and the prerequisite lever rifle, in this case the trusty Savage 99. My Daisy was a lever action Red Ryder. If I remember correctly, it would now be considered a high-capacity magazine:giggle:. Somewhere in the vicinity of 100 or so bb's was the capacity.

Reactions: Pukka Bundook

·
Registered
898 Posts
Very nice rifle, photos and story, Quail.
RE. WDM Bell, as you know he had his guns stolen on reaching Africa, and wound up using a great Dutch Roehr (or some such!) 4 bore and developed a sever flinch!
a four ounce ball will do that.
This is the gun that shattered the stock with a double charge and scarred him for life.
He didn't shoot all his game with a 7x57, but used a .303 for a good bit of it, and a lovely little rifle by Ferguson, Edinburgh if I remember right, in 6.5 x 54 M-S.
This rifle was wonderful on elephant he thought, with its 160 grain round nosed bullet.

All the very best,
Richard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts