Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least this guy's PM.

Was at the range last Sunday with a buddy enjoying a beautiful day punching papers and making an 8 in. diameter metal plate placed at 50 yards spin. One of the regulars came over with one of the range officers seemingly interested in one of my Maks. After I joined their conversation and offered my Mak to see what the regular was talking about, he pointed to the firing pin and said he did not like the FP floating around like that. So, he installed a spring for the firing pin!

He said he had a PM and was concerned about the channel getting dirty during a gun battle. Soon, all four of the range officers joined in, all of them fans of the Makarov as I let them shoot mine frequently. Not wanting to offend a customer, we just shook our heads.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'd had to ask to see how he did it.:confused:
You know, I did ask Bubba. He tried to explain it to me in the midst of all the bazookas going off around us and I must confess, I didn't get it. The sad (or funny) part is, Bubba is an active member of a county fish and games association and, supposedly, helps develop shooting programs for members. Too much time on his hands, I guess.

Oh, my first question to him was "How long does a gun battle with pistols last?"

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've heard of that. Someone did it using a ballpoint pen spring and trimming the FP a bit, IIRC.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
Hey guys no offense meant by my reference of Horsesense and the Philippines. This goes back a long ways to one of the original boards, Horsesense was a regular poster for some time that was always coming up with something off the wall about modifications he'd done to Makarovs and some unique uses of one. He always knew just the right button to push to get some of the members up in arms, was it serious, nah but he sure could liven the board up with some of the things he'd come up with. Was he a regular member with a alter ego, no one knows for sure but you have to remember back in those days it wasn't as easy to track a i/p address and it was not uncommon for members to have a alter ego and most often use it similar to Horsesenses postings. He just disappeared one day supposedly off to work on some more Makarov projects. Last one I remember IIRC he was working on a .50 cal. version supposedly to take care of varmints (or some variation of how he spelled it) that were interfering with his possum hunting. His posting were a lot of fun since then when some odd modification or use of a Mak comes up someone will usually make a reference to Horsesense.

Abeltecs, I don't know the laws in the Philippines covering importation of Mak mags or how much they would cost but you did find a unique solution to the problem hence my references to Horsesense.

Triplel, no offense meant to your posting either.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Ahhhh, haaaa, haaaa! Very funny story Trip! Sounds like I need to join you at E. Creek, you are having all the fun. I will call you. I am still 'noodling' on the spring too. Sounds like he is trying to win the Rube Goldburg award by trying to come up with an extraodinarily hard way of accomplishing a simple task. Don't mess with perfection!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I learned of one more part when one of my Maks gave me some problems. The trigger is actually a two piece item, with the pin pressed into place. Had one get loose and cause all kinds of grief. Replaced it with a slightly larger section of cheap drillbit cut to the proper length. Has worked fine for years. CB

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've often wondered if the magazine counts as one or four parts. If counted as four then that makes it 30 parts, total. Or, does leaving out the magazine still make a complete pistol? After all, you can still fire it without a mag, right? In that case, it's down to 26 parts. :confused:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.