Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pathetic...

A handful of Utah "Fredheads" - political activists supporting the late entry of Republican Fred Thompson into the presidential sweepstakes - gathered Thursday in Salt Lake City to kick off their campaign for the oldest fresh face in the race.

Just four Thompson supporters showed up at Utah Republican Party headquarters for the event, leaving dozens of untouched cookies and vegetable snacks provided in hopes a much bigger crowd would materialize.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,884 Posts
Too much saturated fat in the cookies and everyone is eating healthy.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
The complete Thompson campaign structure was just put together in the past 2 weeks or so and will be setting up new state campaign organizations. Prior to this those semi-amateur "Fredheads" had badly screwed it up, and that kick off was typical of their operation. The Thompsons got rid of them, including a number of close friends who thought their early support entitled them to running a botched campaign a la Bob Dole, and now has an excellent staff on board.

BTW this changeover resulted in a number of BS stories about Jeri Thompson, the evil witch trophy wife pulling the strings, yadda yadda, spread by the fired incompetents.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I occasionally see pseudo libertarians putting up Ron Paul fliers in grocery stores and on the small bulletin board at the post office.

In my county we have a small population of semi-educated unskilled laborers who are out of work and on the dole right now.

There is work available, but none of that easy factory assembly line stuff.

Many of these people have discovered that unemployment pays better than working and use their spare time to buy printer ink and place these kind of things up on public bulletin boards. I would not be surprised if gov't assistance becomes a way of life for many of them.

Sadly, these are some of your fellow libertarians.

It will make you proud to know that the same people usually hang white supremacist literature next to the Ron Paul stuff.

If you are really lucky you will get some crazy Art Bell stuff on the other side of Ron Paul.

Unfortunately for Ron Paul, whom I think has many virtues despite his isolationist position on global affairs; his most avid fans are his worst enemies.

Normal people who vote see these things and make an instant negative association.

When I first read this post made by Dirty Thirty, it reminded me of the local village idiot perspectives and the other reason why it is hard to elect libertarians to public office.

The most avid supporters are some of our worst enemies.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I occasionally see pseudo libertarians putting up Ron Paul fliers in grocery stores and on the small bulletin board at the post office.

In my county we have a small population of semi-educated unskilled laborers who are out of work and on the dole right now.

There is work available, but none of that easy factory assembly line stuff.

Many of these people have discovered that unemployment pays better than working and use their spare time to buy printer ink and place these kind of things up on public bulletin boards. I would not be surprised if gov't assistance becomes a way of life for many of them.

Sadly, these are some of your fellow libertarians.

It will make you proud to know that the same people usually hang white supremacist literature next to the Ron Paul stuff.

If you are really lucky you will get some crazy Art Bell stuff on the other side of Ron Paul.

Unfortunately for Ron Paul, whom I think has many virtues despite his isolationist position on global affairs; his most avid fans are his worst enemies.

Normal people who vote see these things and make an instant negative association.

When I first read this post made by Dirty Thirty, it reminded me of the local village idiot perspectives and the other reason why it is hard to elect libertarians to public office.

The most avid supporters are some of our worst enemies.
You know what Dirty?

Sometimes you just make me want to repeat myself.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
I suggest you read two-time MOH awardee USMC Major General Smedley D. Butler’s classic, War is a Racket, and get back to me.

DT
Butler was a real eccentric, and didn't have enough judgement to care about his associates or the extreme paranoid tone of his "anti-fascist" speeches so only his less nutty pronouncements are quoted by the likes of DT. Butlers monomania and erratic reputation had angered a lot of people in Washington and he was passed over for Commandant in spite of being senior general and then retired.:

" Smedley Butler.....He was noted for his outspoken anti-interventionist views, and his book War Is a Racket was one of the first works describing the workings of the military-industrial complex. After retiring from service, Butler became a popular speaker at meetings organized by veterans, pacifists and church groups in the 1930s. Butler was known for his outspoken lectures against war profiteering and what he viewed as nascent fascism in the United States. During the 1930s, he gave many such speeches to pacifist groups. Butler came forward in 1934 and informed Congress that a group of wealthy industrialists had plotted a military coup to overthrow the government of President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Between 1935 and 1937, Butler served as a spokesman for the American League Against War and Fascism.

The American League Against War and Fascism was a Comintern affiliate organization formed in 1933 by CPUSA and pacifists united by their concern as Nazism and Fascism rose in Europe. It published "The FIGHT against War and Fascism" broadsheet.

Henry F. Ward, a Methodist minister and chairman of the American Civil Liberties Union, became chairman of the League. Communist publications were widely distributed throughout churches. It was a major campaign by the CPUSA to infiltrate the churches and enlist church members into the League.

Reverend Hermann F. Reissig of the League stated that church members had the duty 'neither to commend nor to vindicate religious beliefs or organizations. Our function is to use religious forces in the defense of the masses of people."

The executive committee which did actually planning was known as the Natal Bureau. On 9 August 1935 the Bureau issued a plan targeting trade unions and religious groups for special attention. Roman Catholics were the first target. The plans targeted the International Association of Catholic Alumni, League of Catholic Men, Knights of Columbus, Catholic Association for International Peace, and various Catholic women's groups. Jewish religious, cultural, fraternal and Zionist groups also were listed as targets. Among Protestants, attention was to be given to the YMCA ministerial associations, local parishes, and adherents of the Lutheran and Reformed faiths, 'because of their German traditions and friendships.' "

By 1935 the League claimed membership of 3,291,906 Americans, which rose and to 7,836,691 by the outbreak of the European war in 1939. There were actual number of dues paying members was about 20,000. The League claimed 241 affiliated groups, eighty of them being in New York City.

In 1937 it became the American League for Peace and Democracy. Helen Silvermaster (an agent of Soviet Military Intelligence codenamed "Dora") was a leader of this group.

The League dissolved after the signing of the Hitler-Stalin pact in 1939. Its communist elements then influenced the founding of the American Peace Mobilization front.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
94,201 Posts
Smedley Butler had good reason for being unhappy about some of the things the Misguided Children were required to do in Central America. Most of the rest of his drivel was, well, drivel. I've got a copy of hos book somewhere, haven't read it in 20 or 25 years, and probably wouldn't spend the time to do it again if I knew which box it was in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts