Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a bunch of Frankfort arsenal 30',06 made in 1922. It was heavily tarnished so I decided just to pull the bullets for reloading. This is about 5 hits with an rcbs bullet puller. 6 out of 50 did this. there was a lot of corrosion on the inside of the case but the powder looked good. I wonder what might have happened if I fired it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Powder has deteriorated. I had some WW1 Austrian 8x50r that shattered upon pulling. With that level of corrosion inside the case, it's doubtful the primer would have went off. I had some 1913 7x57 with similar corrosion and I couldn't even get the primers to go off with a torch. Brass on that 20s FA 3006 is bad. I had some of the same stuff with no corrosion but every case had split necks or other defects.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Noting to salvage there. Ratty corroded bullet bases will give you horrible accuracy. I tumbled clean some 8mm FMJBT with corroded edges on their bases. I thought with a boat tail they would be ok...nope, I couldn’t get FOOT of angle accuracy out of them.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I've had some 1954-dated Bulgarian brass-cased 54r that had corroded on the inside.From the outside they looked fine but if you gave the case a squeeze between thumb and forefinger you could feel the brass "give" in a line from the case neck almost to the base!.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Noting to salvage there. Ratty corroded bullet bases will give you horrible accuracy. I tumbled clean some 8mm FMJBT with corroded edges on their bases. I thought with a boat tail they would be ok...nope, I couldn’t get FOOT of angle accuracy out of them.
I have about 900 pulled 7mm bullets with many having corrosion at the base. These are the old round nose flat base bullets. The few I've loaded shot ok. Good enough for plinking at 100 yards.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Not shooting corroded ammo is undoubtabley good advice. Unfortunately, I don't always take good advise.

A couple weeks back I took some really nasty/corroded 7.7 Arisaka ammo out and shot it, about half went bang, the rest didn't. Figured I wanted to reload with reliable primers and powder if the cases held up. I was able to hit 2 liter bottles at 100 yards with those that went bang, some cases split but I will reload the others.

Lots of fun and figured the Arisaka action is strong so gave it a go and had a lot of fun.
(did were eye and ear protection)

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had a bunch of Frankfort arsenal 30',06 made in 1922. It was heavily tarnished so I decided just to pull the bullets for reloading. This is about 5 hits with an rcbs bullet puller. 6 out of 50 did this. there was a lot of corrosion on the inside of the case but the powder looked good. I wonder what might have happened if I fired it.
Is that M1906 or M1? Looks like M1...I didn't think they were making M1 until 1925-ish

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
A. It could have fired and expelled the bullet, leaving the case neck in the chamber.
B. It could have squibbed jamming the bullet in the barrel.
C. The primer would have fired, not igniting the powder and the bullet would be lodged in the throat.
D. The case could have ruptured spewing hot gas and brass in your face.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts