Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to scope my M48 Mauser and was thinking about using this mount and a Nikon Buckmasters 3-9X40 scope, or the cheaper Kalinka 4X32 scope. I am willing to take suggestions on other scopes or mounts but I want to try and spend under $200 if possible. I want to be able to shoot out to 3-400 meters at least.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply River. Can anyone attest to the quality of the Kalinka scope I chose? I am mainly concerned with durability.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,379 Posts
Accumount

RiverRaider:
How would compare this mount to an Iron Elite?
Are you satisfied with yours?
Did you order the aluminum or steel version?
TIA
riflemanone

·
Silver Bullet member
872 Posts
RiverRaider:
How would compare this mount to an Iron Elite?
Are you satisfied with yours?
Did you order the aluminum or steel version?
TIA
riflemanone
rifleman---I haven't seen an Iron Elite close up or used one but Accumounts is a dual purpose mount and can also be used in a scout scope configuration by removing three screws on the top rail (as seen in 2nd pic).

I think the mount is very well made and very solid once installed. Takes abt 15 min or so to install. I haven't been to the range for the lack of getting some rings for it but IMO I think it will do very well and am very satisfied with it.

The mount is made of Billet Aluminum.

I e-mailed John a few months back and asked him abt mounts for the K98, M48 and 24/47 he said he had some in the works then. I had read on the Boards there was some problem with the other Company as far as getting things shipped in a timely fashion so I figured I would wait and see. Not sure if things have changed or not with them.

Regards
Art

·
Registered
806 Posts
kalinka is an importer not a mfg. Rich42 posted a comment about the scopes coming
apart. And that the warrenty was 1 year if I remember right. Kalinka was giving him
a hassel on the returns. Try pm him for more info.He is a good guy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am now thinking about getting a fixed powered scope something like a 6X should be sufficient. Anyone have any recommendations? My budget for the scope is around $200.

·
Registered
806 Posts
If you want to go cheap try nc-star. I have a few of them and for the $ you can't go
wrong. For your m-48 check out s&k mounts.They mount to the rear sight with no
permenant mods to your rifle.I have one with a nc-star scope and really like it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Scout mount for your M48

Check out our mauser scout mount on our eBay store http://stores.ebay.com/SpinelliSonsandFather_W0QQssPageNameZl2QQtZkm
It may be just the ticket. Patent pending design, and all bar stock steel. All you need is the specific T nut and spacer combination for the M 48. Your cost would be $129.95. 90 day total satisfaction guarantee and a 5 year free parts replacement. We have put our 3 test rifles,( one is a M48) through extensive field tests,including a 4 foot drop test. Over a 1000 rounds have been put through these rifles without a single loss of zero.
If interested e-mail at [email protected].
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
362 Posts
For 8mm mausers a good cheap fixed power scoped is a Weaver K6 6X available at Midway for around $140. We have used these for years on Mausers.

Kalinka scopes used to be real good. The last few have problems with bubble like fractures in the reticle lens.
Not recomended for 8mm recoil.
Kalinka has a one year warranty and honors it is you have your receipt.

Weaver K6 scopes have very fine cross hairs and a compatible for long range target shooting as well as hunting.
They also look well on a Mauser if in Matte not gloss. Sleek and complement the rifle well.

Kalinka reticles come in a variety. Post reticles are hard to used because the post blocks out the target on hold over shots. Unless the scope is mounted upside down.
Simonov and Dragunov reticles with range finder are inverted V and work well for those that like them.

Kalinka's new line of Mildot cross hairs are exc. VERY fine cross hairs that do not block out anything with fine mildots for range adjustment in a heart beat.

Kalinka has a new Mildot cross hair in PSOP that comes with a weaver rail type mount, requires weaver type mount, that John's or Iron Elite should accomidate.

Be aware that Iron Elite has had communications problems recently with customers.

The scope is also very beefy and is advertised as OK for 8mm recoil.
The beefy is not good for weight and balance.

The K6 Weaver type scopes are light and sleek and well balanced and has fine cross hairs that have held up for years of shooting for us.

We have boxes full of cheaper N C star and other types of scopes that have all failed in one way or another.

Also on a side note.

The scope mounts that are like the Iron Elite and John's new mounts were tried and rejected because of balance issues.
Anything that attaches to or replaced the rear sights just didn't feel right for balance.

This is just our opinion and others may have good luck with using that kind of set up.

I used one of the older 4X Kalinka type scopes for years on a 303 Enfield JC without any problems.
So it seems the newer scopes used a different process to glue the reticle lenses and have now a recoil problem.

If you like the Kalinka scopes real well, try it, they have a one year warranty, make sure you keep the paperwork.

I had one new Kalinka 6X with the new Mildot fine reticle develope bubble like fractures, just from taping the mount with a brass hammer to line it up. There seems to be a mfgr. problem with the newer scopes.

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/detail.aspx?ID=102

The above link are the PO type scopes that have the recoil problems, in 8mm. Older models did not have this problem.

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/detail.aspx?ID=86

These PSOP scopes are advertised to hold up to 8mm recoil. They come in 6X or 8X They are a bit beefy, "large" They should fit on John's weaver rail.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=468799&t=11082005

This K6 scope is on sale for under $130 has worked well for hunting and target shooting M48s for years. Cross hairs are very fine, not bulky as pictured.

Most scopes under $300 will not stand the test of time. They may look good, but few hold up to recoil and hunting enviroments from our experience.
The K6 Weaver is an exception, as are the older PO Kalinka scopes.

IHTH

·
Registered
362 Posts
FWIW

http://www.accumounts.com/

We are going to order one of John's new accumounts.

I'll try the PSOP with it.

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/detail.aspx?ID=86

This particular scope comes in a variety of reticles and 6X or 8X.

We will test this combonation for durability and balance.

Also the Weaver K6 scope will fit this set up and work well.
The K6 scope is lighter and more stream lined and should balance better.

I have a 24/47 that is an exc. shooter that I will test this on. Same as the M48.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts