Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Ishapore 2A1 a few months back, and really got interested in Enfield rifles. Now, I really don't want a .303 rifle, since I don't stock the caliber, and not a regular available round (don't reload yet, and not going to have space for another year or two). So, I found a few .410 conversions on GunBroker... and looking to get one.

Doing research, I see they most were based off a .303 cartridge so that standard ammo couldn't be used with the gun (2"). Not really interested in one, being a few I found were bored to 3" when imported. No plans on getting the Musket ammo for them, so would be used with common .410 shells.

Is there anything to look for with these conversions? Most I see are RFI guns, which works nice since it matches my 2A1. If I wanted to toss the bayonet on it, should work out great. Probably will get the butt stock accessories.

Are these commonly in a specific shape; good or bad?

Not a big Enfield collector, so figured I'd ask before picking one up.

Thanks for taking a look.

·
Silver Bullet member
31,827 Posts
You sure you don't want to get the musket ammo for them? They come in a nifty wooden case *and* metal tin

Courtesy of Gunboards Sponsor Dan's Ammo

Only other thing to remember is Ishapore converted a lot of them, and its luck of the draw as to the condition.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking around, I guess getting a box isn't that bad. Looks to be under a quarter a round at most places.

Really, using regular .410 ammo seemed to be a nice option. I have a Safir AR upper, so something I have ammo on hand.

·
Copper Bullet member
457 Posts
Screwball, I have several of these, two that have been rechambered in standard .410 and one in the Brit. 410 musket chamber. I find the standard .410 more useful in that those shells will always be available for the foreseeable future. The original Brit musket shells are neat for a pure collector, but who knows how long they will be available? The answer: buy one of each !!

Frank

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Screwball, I have several of these, two that have been rechambered in standard .410 and one in the Brit. 410 musket chamber. I find the standard .410 more useful in that those shells will always be available for the foreseeable future. The original Brit musket shells are neat for a pure collector, but who knows how long they will be available? The answer: buy one of each !!

Frank
How does the commercial .410 work out for you? Any issues with extraction/ejection? Accuracy?

I'm kind of siding with the bored out version, being it is a little more common than the original Muskets.

·
Copper Bullet member
457 Posts
Hi, Extraction is normal with commercial .410 in both of the bored out versions. On one, the firing pin protrusion was a little short so it would not strike the primer enough in some brands of shells. I just removed the bolt head and with a couple of strokes with a flat mill file reduced the rear portion of the threaded portion of the bolt head to let the firing pin go further forward. About five minutes of work and now it operates OK. Accuracy is good with rifled slugs, better than any other .410 shot gun that I have used. The three round ball loads shoot to point of aim also.

Frank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.