Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bored stiff, lousey weather and little else to do, I spent some time cuddling the odd rifle or two and thought of better days.

Getting old's a bugger.

I was holding my 1905 Mk.1 which got me thinking how many of this year were actually issued.....so into the paperwork I delved....like I said, bored.

According to my records....schedule E of the Military Forces stocktake of 1905 gives a total of only 4,907.
A breakdown by States
NSW 1638 with 162 in stores Vic. 1388 with 291 in stores QLD. 877 with 3 in stores S.A 566 with 54 in stores W.A 265 with 92 in stores Tas. 170 with 110 in stores.
With another 120 on order.

LLE's totalled 30375 and Martini's 26988, their breakdown per state is interesting, I'd post the chart but the print quality is lousy.
So the cupboard was not exactly bare at Federation.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've been musing over the way Enfields and associated paraphernalia have become an investment vehicle, like fine wines or artwork.
Full sets of SMLE woodwork have been selling here for up to AUD$1000 - an eye-watering price given that 20-30 years ago you could hardly give it away.
$770 for a Lithgow 1913 butt.
$300 for a Lithgow rear volley sight.
$450 for a Lithgow-made machete, for goodness sake.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
No wonder The NSW marked ones are so common. WA and TAS. as hard to find as rocking horse poo and chooks teeth. Muff you are a mine of info, put the thermals on and carry on.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Doc
Take out inflation and the numbers may not be so good.
But if you have a 1913 action without a Butt that is cheap. Maybe the rear volley sight will fit the 1913 action, now we are getting in to serious $ returns.
My Lithgow machete is not for sale at that price. A repro maybe yes.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Muffet, very interesting. I think I have some of these returns but they are beyond my reach at the moment. What was the cut off date for the stocktake? cheers, D.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
That ammo looks a little offside Muff.
My oldest Mk1 no stars is a 1906 that has no stampings on the disc or Butt, a proper clean skin

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Mmm maybe i could help out a little.
But on a serious note the Butt has roundel with LONDON i cant read the rest then 1** the wrist is stamped Enfield 1***
What is the GOSS. :unsure:

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Is the 2 over 11 when it went into service or when the wrist got its 3rd *
Not being hard to get along with just asking ..

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Doogal
it looks like an early type of Hollow point now used by Speer for donkey culling shooters amongst other things. Unfortunately only in 308

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Muffett, the purchase of the first lot of short rifles was a milestone in more than one way. It freed up Australian stores of the Long rifle, and this marked the turning point for the rifle clubs being able to move on from the Martini Enfield to the Long rifle. They had to wait nearly three more decades before the short rifle became available.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bindii, I guess that's why I sat staring at it for so long.....more questions than answers.
Q1. yes, a LSA roundel
Q2. UPGRADES i guess, the left side shows '07,'08 and '10.
Q3.Don't know
Hard to see but above the roundell is a crown over 161, then 2 over 1911, so I think maybe 161 is a rack number, 2 is the Mil. Dist. if OZ issued and 1911 maybe issue or refurb to ***

The Enfield production for those few years was 133,457, with 5839 purchased by OZ that leaves a fair few.
Now there are no Actual Australian stamps or marks, no sold out of service stamps, just the Brit. marks you'd find on an all Brit. rifle....still scratching my head over this one.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Swede, the issue figures for the LLE in this stocktake were in store 8,213, Issued to Military 15,867, on loan to R.C's 2,257 and on deferred payment to RC members 4,034.
By 1920 all LLE's were offered for sale to RC members.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Now Swedes got me looking at LLE's.
My 1900 BSA has a BSA roundel, over 1*, with NSW over 3507 over 01,

My 1902 BSA has a BSA roundel over 1* with sold out of service stamps, 6 12 over 1097 and a Commonwealth Military Forces South Aust. Stamp.
SA 1097 also on the receiver ring.
Wood Amber Orange Wood stain Rectangle

1 - 20 of 29 Posts