Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edited, now with range report.

I seem to have an Enfield problem. Less than 2 months after my 1st, I got another.

This time it's a Longbranch no 4 1/3. I'm more interested in
WWI than II, but I could not let it get away.

The only import mark I can find is "England" on the butt socket. It also has nitro proofs on the end of the barrel. It looks unfired since it was FTRed. For $299, I'm pretty pleased.

So I took my Enfields to shoot for the first time today, and I found out I didn't bring enough .303. I'm not sure how I have lived without an Enfield up til now, but it must have been a terrible existence. The no4 shot well for me, although a bit low. I used the ladder, set at the lowest it would go. This was probably mostly due to shooting at 50yd.

The real stand out though, was the no 1. I was pretty sure the no 4 would shoot well being in such nice shape. I was totally not expecting the no 1, with its obvious wear to shoot BETTER. The group below was a 150gr Sierra sp over 38gr of IMR 4064.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,673 Posts
Sweet.
Let me know when you get tired of lugging it around.
They get heavy after a while.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
934 Posts
Nice job. The post-war FTRed rifles can be found in very good condition (I've had 2 before) and can be tack drivers, but they can be underrated as they are no longer in "original" condition. Personally, I like the fact that the FTR adds to the history of the rifle. $299 is a bargain.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,597 Posts
I was totally not expecting the no 1, with its obvious wear to shoot BETTER.
Been there, done that. My FF marked No.1 had a thin layer of rust in the bore when I received it and odd looking rounded lands when cleaned. It shoots very well, so maybe the No.1 is more sensitive to barrel wear in specific places or bedding than just general wear and tear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.