Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I would like to see that in person, before passing judgement. Your no-question definite conclusion is based on that one photo? A straight down shot!

It is not so easy as some think to restore a mum. The horrible scar of grinding has to be smooth down and then refinished all to blend in naturally. When done, there will be a low spot. A side view is needed and a flat edge side of a ruler lay over the top even better. I dont see any hint of the preparation work that would preceed a restored mum. It maybe, then, anything maybe.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
That is a bad assumption. And puts the fear of god into the newbies. A newbie deserves good information. I was scared out of my mind when buying my Lee Enfield No5. And turns out, it is a easy gun to verify. Mums require a bit more thought. Unfortunate, but that is life. I am also seeing Uberti parts show up on repaired colt cap and balls guns. That is the nature of the hobby.

I saw some stamps on eBay. It was a guy in Europe making quality stamps. He had stamps for all the stock markings for the 1903. Actually, I have seen original stamps for 1903's for sale as well. Not origional mum stamps. I dont know how a mum was stamped. Or rolled. I dont know. Usually a crest is rolled. No idea, it is small enough it could be punched.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.