Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Better than most I've seen, but it's engraved. It's offset, which is something I've only seen on late Type 99s, not an early 99 (this one is a 99 long). On real mums the left and right edges of the petals are deeper and the grooves slightly wider than the top and bottom.

Can't post the auction link because it's still going on.

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Bicycle tire Tread

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I feel that it's engraved, and not stamped. The edges of the petals aren't straight on the left side and it's deeper in the middle. On original stamped mums they are deeper on the left and right edges. I believe that's from the roll stamp used.

He really doesn't have a good upclose shot of the mum, nor a side view which is always a good indication of it being previously ground. The rifle has been "restored" to a certain degree with a short rifle monopod put on and a dust cover that matches in number but not in bluing. The pictures all show the metal has a layer of oil all over, which can hide imperfections.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I don't worship the mum either. "Ground guns need love too"! T Stancil.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
I agree! I personally take a ground matching nice condition rifle over an intact but mismatched or meh condition one. Plus intact mum rifles are going for some insane money right now on gunbroker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts