In my case it's caliber-dependent and some of each, gloating and crying. More of the former, admittedly....If we post about how cheap ammo/guns were back when....well...are we just gloating cuz we bought? or crying cuz we didn't buy more?
We are in the midst of a "this time it's different" moment though. We expect prices to rise gradually, with occasional brief dips and spikes.
We don't expect:
- A worldwide pandemic that scrambles supply;
- A rush to a depraved and violent ideology that brought our 2020 "summer of love" and potentially the (literal) end of western civilization;
- An explosion of new gun owners and a buyers' panic that cleared the shelves and warehouses starting late spring of 2020;
- A real-deal shooting war in Europe;
- A mad dictator in China turning off his economy;
- A growing recognition in the US of how elites (including bipartisan political elites) have separated from the people are are misgoverning the country into the ground;
In financial markets, the deadliest four words in every language are, "This time it's different," so I STILL take that previous doom-laden paragraph with a grain of, "Maybe; I know nothing."
But "these aren't the good old days" doesn't seem a stretch either.