Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
...If we post about how cheap ammo/guns were back when....well...are we just gloating cuz we bought? or crying cuz we didn't buy more?
In my case it's caliber-dependent and some of each, gloating and crying. More of the former, admittedly.

We are in the midst of a "this time it's different" moment though. We expect prices to rise gradually, with occasional brief dips and spikes.

We don't expect:
  • A worldwide pandemic that scrambles supply;
  • A rush to a depraved and violent ideology that brought our 2020 "summer of love" and potentially the (literal) end of western civilization;
  • An explosion of new gun owners and a buyers' panic that cleared the shelves and warehouses starting late spring of 2020;
  • A real-deal shooting war in Europe;
  • A mad dictator in China turning off his economy;
  • A growing recognition in the US of how elites (including bipartisan political elites) have separated from the people are are misgoverning the country into the ground;
Etc., etc., etc.

In financial markets, the deadliest four words in every language are, "This time it's different," so I STILL take that previous doom-laden paragraph with a grain of, "Maybe; I know nothing."

But "these aren't the good old days" doesn't seem a stretch either.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Let us take a real step back in time. 7.62x54R-only available from Noma and some German sales Arisaka ammo- only available from Norma and some German sales Carcano- surplus FMJ and Norma 7.62x39-?? and many more.

When I was a kid I bought a Moisin Nagant through the mail to use as a deer rifle. I was so happy I would not have to use the single shot shotgun, UNTIL I found out a box of Norma cost as much as I paid for the gun(With shipping!).
Things could be worse.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Back in '63 I bought a Argentine 1891 Mauser for just a little over 22 bucks with shipping. Back then you had two choices regarding ammo. 1946 era Argentine surplus for about $10 a hundred or the high priced 7.65x53mm from Norma. Shot mostly the 1946 stuff and only occasionally the Norma. My jaw remembers every round. Norma listed their 150 grain bullet at 2920 feet per second out of the 29" barrel on the Argy. At the time no distinction was made between the 1891 or the later 1909 models in the same caliber.Some years back they dropped the loading down to more saner levels. The real jaw breaker in ammo was the Hirtenberger/PatronenFabrik headstamped HP FYA 1928. Supposedly Ap ammo but we never had anything to test it on. So if you bought Norma yes definitely cost more per box than you paid for your rifle. Ah the good old days. Frank

·
Registered
129 Posts
I remember as a young teen circa 1960’ish buying .22LRs for 49 cents a box of 50 at our local Circle K store. They had a wood cabinet display case on the counter with assorted brands for sale in it. CCI mini-mags being new, were all the rage at the time and those sold for 59 cents a box of 50. .22shorts were 39 cents a box of 50.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Just found a receipt from J&G who aren't known for being the cheapest, and also Century. Both for the early nineties. Everything averaged around 10c a rd it seems, and the German ammo was 7.4c 75a round. Bought some empty crates from them too, and sold them to collectors for on average $75!
Font Parallel Paper Rectangle Tints and shades

Font Electronic device Number Rectangle Paper

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,575 Posts
Ammo prices thankfully seem to be trending down SLOWLY. It's not impossible to find good 9mm for under 30cpr delivered.. I'm waiting for 25cpr before I budge.. may be a long wait!

Buy it cheap, stack it deep.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts