Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Organizing papers here including old gun-related receipts from a galaxy long ago.

Sigh:

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Handwriting

You read it correctly: 1,000 shiny new brass .308 rounds for a buck-and-a-quarter, shipping included!
(However, even in 1991 that was a heckuva deal.)
Check out the VG SKSs for $104.95 tucked into the small print.

Another from 1990 shows $118 for 1,000 Chinese brass .223, delivered.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I remember when all the South African, Portuguese, Spanish Santa Barbara and ADI surplus .308 all came into the country in the space of a couple of years in the early 2000s. And it was all about $125-$140 a case. What a time.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
That is the CBC surplus ammo that blew up a few rifles and was recalled. It was from South American Police stocks and had been tampered with in storage.

I wouldn‘t pay $125/1000 for that particular import TODAY! There certainly WERE some “deals” back in the good old days of the 1990s.

CBC, 7.62MM X 51MM CALIBER CARTRIDGES

RECALL:
It has come to our attention that CBC 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges from lots dated 1975 may pose a serious safety risk. The specific cartridges in question bear the headstamp "CBC 7.62 75".

We hereby provide written notice to you that a potential hazard may exist with respect to outdated CBC 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges. There is a reported risk that such cartridges may cause excess pressure upon discharge and could result in serious bodily injury or damage.

Under no circumstances should these cartridges be used, given to anyone, or sold.

There have been isolated reports of rifles bursting as a result of excessive pressure in what appear to be these outdated CBC cartridges. An independent testing lab reports that it detected a peak pressure that they estimated to be in excess of 130,000 CUP in one out of a batch of 20 outdated CBC 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges dated 1975 that it tested.

CBC 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges are manufactured solely for military use in several nations around the world. CBC has not exported or sold any of these cartridges to or in the United States. These particular cartridges are not intended for civilian use under any circumstances.

In addition, a warning is issued for any CBC 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges from any year that bear a label on the packing material with the Spanish word "reengastada". That label was not affixed by CBC, and its application to ammunition is not yet clear.

Anyone who has, or believes they have, CBC 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges from lots dated 1975, or CBC 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges from any year with the word "reengastada" on the packing label should immediately contact the dealer from whom they bought the rounds, and call the following toll-free phone number:

(800) 742-1094
CBC/Brazil”

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Prices were very good not long prior to March of 2020. 1k rounds of 9mm for $169. PSA sold 420 rounds of green tip 5.56 with ten Pmags for $199 (people were up in arms when PSA quit offering free shipping--oh, the humanity!). Steel case 7.62x39 was around $170 per 1k. Malaysian 7.62 NATO was fairly cheap (can't recall the price). Steel case .223 was around $220 per 1k. People seemed to be getting 192 rounds of 30-06 sardine cans for $160-180. Forty round packs of 7.62x39 could be had for less than $10 at WalMart--I'd pick some up every now and then when I went grocery shopping. To me, those were the modern "good old days".

·
Registered
806 Posts
In 1991 I was a Marine Lcpl, making around $10,536 per year. (a Private made $8,328) A $100 bill was a rare sight for me, and information access was limited to mail order pamphlets and magazine ads.

As a percentage of salary, a $125 case of 1000 ammo for my 1991 salary would be equivalent to $711 today for the same ammo assuming an average Amercian salary of $60,000 today.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Oh yeah pretty good deal.

This week at Wal-Mart I stocked up on something overlooked by others.

San Marzano canned tomatoes at $3.65 (no sales tax on regular food in Kentucky). Net weight 1 pound 12oz.

Delicious tomatoes from Mount Vesuvius in Italy. Full of beneficial fiber, lycopene, vitamins.

Better than going to a restaurant and order poison for $9 and cut my lifespan in half.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
That is the CBC surplus ammo that blew up a few rifles and was recalled. It was from South American Police stocks and had been tampered with in storage.

I wouldn‘t pay $125/1000 for that particular import TODAY! There certainly WERE some “deals” back in the good old days of the 1990s.

CBC, 7.62MM X 51MM CALIBER CARTRIDGES

RECALL:
It has come to our attention that CBC 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges from lots dated 1975 may pose a serious safety risk. The specific cartridges in question bear the headstamp "CBC 7.62 75".

We hereby provide written notice to you that a potential hazard may exist with respect to outdated CBC 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges. There is a reported risk that such cartridges may cause excess pressure upon discharge and could result in serious bodily injury or damage.

Under no circumstances should these cartridges be used, given to anyone, or sold.

There have been isolated reports of rifles bursting as a result of excessive pressure in what appear to be these outdated CBC cartridges. An independent testing lab reports that it detected a peak pressure that they estimated to be in excess of 130,000 CUP in one out of a batch of 20 outdated CBC 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges dated 1975 that it tested.

CBC 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges are manufactured solely for military use in several nations around the world. CBC has not exported or sold any of these cartridges to or in the United States. These particular cartridges are not intended for civilian use under any circumstances.

In addition, a warning is issued for any CBC 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges from any year that bear a label on the packing material with the Spanish word "reengastada". That label was not affixed by CBC, and its application to ammunition is not yet clear.

Anyone who has, or believes they have, CBC 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges from lots dated 1975, or CBC 7.62mm x 51mm cartridges from any year with the word "reengastada" on the packing label should immediately contact the dealer from whom they bought the rounds, and call the following toll-free phone number:

(800) 742-1094
CBC/Brazil”
I will have to make sure that I do not have any CBC around.
I will have to look up: "reengastada" I recall that there was a word gastar that meant to use up. Translation on google just checked is '
to spend. So it sounds like reuse after having been used. google says
reattached
for reengastada

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Anytime someone pulls up old prices of stuff my first question is what were you making/week then? What did a gallon of gas cost or a new car. When my wife graduated high school in 1970 her dad bought her a new Gold Duster for a little over $1600.00 as she was getting a free ride at Towson State Teaching College because she was going to become a Maryland teacher. Gas was a whopping .33/gallon. Anytime becomes the ‘good old days‘ when you get far enough away from them. Just imagine what crap will cost when our great grandkids say, I remember when gas was only 4.00/gallon, them was the good old days.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
Wasn't there a bunch of 30-06 CBC ammo with similar problems??? Had a guy bring in a 1954 Mod 70 30-06 for free. Knew something was up when both ends of the soft case drooped. Complete receiver destruction.
I don’t recall a common issue with CBC 30-06. The CBC 7.62/308 was not bad manufacture but tampering.
Bad 30-06 with common base ruptures has been some lots of 1970s PMC Korean surplus and Turkish surplus. Of course a case head rupture can happen rarely in ANY make of ammo.

·
Registered
18,286 Posts
South African 7.62 at 15¢ a pop from "Wolfsburg Bob"
I remember breaking down Pallets of it in the lot (it was a group buy.
Pallets, not packs or cases!
I stll have a few left.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Anytime someone pulls up old prices of stuff my first question is what were you making/week then? What did a gallon of gas cost or a new car. When my wife graduated high school in 1970 her dad bought her a new Gold Duster for a little over $1600.00 as she was getting a free ride at Towson State Teaching College because she was going to become a Maryland teacher. Gas was a whopping .33/gallon. Anytime becomes the ‘good old days‘ when you get far enough away from them. Just imagine what crap will cost when our great grandkids say, I remember when gas was only 4.00/gallon, them was the good old days.
100% correct. If we post about how cheap ammo/guns were back when....well...are we just gloating cuz we bought? or crying cuz we didn't buy more? either way...don't buy looking backward...buy looking forward. think about how it might be "tomorrow" when ya can't get it at any price cuz it just ain't around. another perspective....like saying geez...a 69 Vette convertible cost how much new? irrelevant kinda anymore...just sayin....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts