Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a new PBS documentary named "The War" starts Sept 23rd. It looks like a good one. There are some teaser clips on the program's website:

http://www.pbs.org/thewar/video_clips.htm

The one with the Japanese officer raising the sword in the air has some footage of Japanese troops cleaning type 30 bayonets. For some reason the videos would not play using the windows media setting...I had to select quick time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ron,thanks for the "Heads Up"about Ken Burns war drama being presented on PBS Sunday pm. I think it runs for five consecutive evenings, I`m gonna set up my DVD recorder just
in case I get distracted or have to leave the house.Burns did a masterpiece on the civil war
and I hope we get to see some Pacific war footage that we may not have seen before.

Regards,Charlie

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,175 Posts
The WSJ had a review on "The War" in this morn's edition. Reads like Burns is turning out a bleeding heart story, the agenda being to show the world that war is bad and not a whole heck of a lot of fun. Well, duh, if true, maybe he doesn't recognize, goodness and badness set to the side, why we had to fight WW2.

·
2,175 Posts
Thanks, Chip. I will be looking at the program.....well, at least 'til I fall asleep on the couch. If I don't fall asleep, that means to me that it's pretty good. Anyway, I'll get the same question from my wife that she asks every time I look at these, "Did Hitler win this time? No, well, maybe he'll do it next time." Chuckles and leaves the room again. She just doesn't take me serious. I jus don't get no respect.

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
I will be looking at the program.....well, at least 'til I fall asleep on the couch. Anyway, I'll get the same question from my wife that she asks every time I look at these, "Did Hitler win this time? No, well, maybe he'll do it next time." I jus don't get no respect.
I figured I'd watch it also. The preview looked interesting. Luckily, my wife is just as interested as I am in these WWII documentaries. We liked his (KB's) series on the American jazz movement.

C/

·
2,175 Posts
Chip, maybe I didn't go about the training procedure correctly. I get an "oh, no, not again" when I call her into my den to hear my latest find on Youtube - a Tiger tank with 750 hp V12 Maybach idling followed by fast accel, or maybe a Ford 427 side oiler with race cam in a Cobra idling in a garage for over 2 minutes. I know I'm a gear head, but she jus don't understand the good things in life. Women!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Fred, I own a Dodge with a 440 six pack in it with a very serious cam and exhaust that puts out some of the SWEETESS MUSIC one can listen too. Sometimes I just start it up and listen. Great stuff isn't it, kinda dates us too I guess. So what

·
Platinum Bullet member
18,990 Posts
I'm a hopin it's a goodun. "The Civil War" was a great series & I hope this follows suit.
Betcha didn't know that Ken is a buddy of mine - just kidding.
Had this photo taken during the filming of "Gettysburg". Ken had a cameo role in it. Me, I was just a "grunt" and I can be seen in the movie as both a Reb and as a damn Yank.

·
2,175 Posts
Bill, the Dodge sounds great. My buddies listened to me talk about Cobras for years, and one finally went out and built one....while I stay home and remodel my house. Something's wrong with this picture.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,556 Posts
Just finished watching the first episode, it is slow, well done, but slow. I don't think they will hold any casual audience, just hard core guys.

I hope the episode on Invading the Japanese held islands has more action and less talk.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Just saw it too. Not quite the same as the Civil War series which was more sentimental, educational of the era and emotional. Not to say this WW2 series doesn't have its emotional parts also. But it was still outstanding.

·
Registered
477 Posts
On tonights episode they showed the rationing that was in effect during the war. Since WW2 we have fought many wars yet the home populace have not had to feel the effects of rationing or shortages ever again. This country became so incredibly stong economically and powerful militarily that we can engage in long foreign wars and no one at home has to be put out in the least. Unfortunately many people in the US have little appreciation for this country and what it does, and has done, for them.

·
Registered
477 Posts
On Wednesdays episode, they featured the Saipan battle. Showed many dead Japanese, including poles with T-30 bayonets tied to them. Rather interesting looking.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,556 Posts
Saipan

Yes, it gave new meaning to 'pole' bayonet.

Supposed largest 'Banzai' charge of the war, 3,000+, many armed only with bamboo spears or 'pole bayonets', walking wounded too.

Sad, very sad; and so un-necessary.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts