Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anybody see the Peleliu episode last night of the Marine who shot the japanese soldier in the side with his carbine and then immediately pulled a "1,000-stitch" belt off the dieing man's waist? All color footage.

-Eric

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
I saw it, very brutal indeed. They said "souveniering" was often very violent and very common. Did you catch the part about the gold teeth?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Did the marine kill the guy when he was unarmed or was the guy armed?
I think both arms were still attached.

Josh the rules of engagement were pretty simple back then. Kill the enemy.
Anything else would more than likely get you killed.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did the marine kill the guy when he was unarmed or was the guy armed?
The Japanese soldier was down, obviously badly wounded. He was not armed with any weapons that could be seen. It was a cold-blooded killing, war in all its brutality and horror. On the other hand, those Japanese soldiers didn't surrender and often had concealed grenades. Many Marines told me they didn't take prisoners and that clip confirmed that....Maybe the Marine put him out of his misery?

-Eric

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,518 Posts
Don't look backwards....

"..... It was a cold-blooded killing, war in all its brutality and horror....."
You need to remember that this was the race that had head cutting off contests in Nanking, rape rooms with young girls tied to chairs, that used American soldiers as live cadavers for medical experiments, that torpedoed hospital ships, that strafed pilots in parachutes. My dad, father in law, and uncle all served in the Navy in WWII. I have some understanding of this war. These facts are easy to find if you look for them.
Don't judge these brutal photographs without understanding the "No Quarter" enemy that was being fought. We did what had to be done. You can't expect a soldier to fight like that (no holds barred), and then switch it off five minutes later.
More bothersome to me was the dead pilot being cut out of a glider.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree. The Japanese were brutal to POW's and would have, undoubtedly, killed any Marine prisoner. I am well aware of the atrocities the Japanese commited in WWII (see my post on Tojo's granddaughter), esp. in Nanking and other cities and areas in China. It was just a graphic segment to see a close-up of a man being killed then stripped for souvineers. That's all.

-eric

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I can understand shooting him like that, because when you are in combat, the adrenaline is pumping to fast to even think, and besides, most of these japanese were so wounded that they wouldve died anyway. Ill bet if it were a bunch of japanese guys who came upon a wounded marine, they wouldve peeled his nails back, and severed his genitals, then shot him(I met a Marine who said he came upon one of his buddies who went missing the day before, he had his nails peeled back, his cheeks cut out and his genitals cut off, and put in his mouth, and he had his belly slashed, after seeing this, I doubt I wouldve thought about the well being of the guys who did this). I saw a video clip of a bunch of GIs shooting a dead japanese soldier with a .45, that is the only time a video or picture from WWII(besides the japanese soldiers beheading the innocent people in China) that really bothered me, I think it is totally barbaric to empty your clip on a dead man, no matter what he did.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I've read and heard, the Japanese often tortured their captives. I saw a documentary on Guadalcanal...I think the battle for Edson's Ridge, where the Japanese captured several Raider's and tortured them all night/morning long. That story is not from just one vet...it's from an entire unit that heard the screams, well documented and recorded. It was Sledge's book that revealed American dead with their genitals cut off and stuffed in their beheaded mouths. A Peleliu vet told me their squad shot all dead Japanese in the head just to make sure...

-Eric

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,619 Posts
Having served two seperate tours in VN for a total of 23 fun filled months, I can say was not a lot different there from all the above comments. I am just glad we did not have any "embedded Journalist." I am surprised Burns left that in. Brutal yes, War, yes. Skid

·
Registered
477 Posts
So far it has been an outstanding series. It kind of goes quickly past some battles and laser focuses on others. There obviously is much more footage of dead, dying and wounded soldiers, from all sides, than is normally seen in most footage we have seen over the years. Not having been in war or combat, I cannot comment on what occurs and why, but survival had to be the priority for everyone concerned. It is good for people, who think that this country "cannot win militarily" in today's wars, to see that we had to fight far worse battles than Iraq at one time and we did win, with much less equipment and with much higher losses.

·
Registered
363 Posts
So far it has been an outstanding series. It kind of goes quickly past some battles and laser focuses on others. There obviously is much more footage of dead, dying and wounded soldiers, from all sides, than is normally seen in most footage we have seen over the years. Not having been in war or combat, I cannot comment on what occurs and why, but survival had to be the priority for everyone concerned. It is good for people, who think that this country "cannot win militarily" in today's wars, to see that we had to fight far worse battles than Iraq at one time and we did win, with much less equipment and with much higher losses.
WELL SAID!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
According to my computer display this AM. US casualties in iraq total 28,909 with 3807 killed (in and out of combat) in 4.5yrs,official casualties for the invasion of iwo Jima are 27909 total, 6821 killed,19181 wounded,494 missing in 37 days...For additional comparison, at gettysburg the total US casualties were 46,286 men (total for both sides) in less than 3 days.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,572 Posts
The War

It is on PBS, various times on different stations. Three of the local stations carry it at 8pm, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. You'll have to look at your local guide to find it.

·
8,095 Posts
We might remember that the Japanese were notoriously "unkind" to prisoners as this American found out - note the American prisoner is unarmed and is obviously unable to offer any resistance.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
We might remember that the Japanese were notoriously "unkind" to prisoners as this American found out - note the American prisoner is unarmed and is obviously unable to offer any resistance.
IIRC, the photo is of an Australian pilot, not an American. Ultimately, however, your point is proper and well-taken.

C/

1 - 20 of 28 Posts