Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I understand that this is a forum now for all scandinavian firearms I just thought I'd show these two Norwegian Krags.

This first one is all original, not too easy to get even here in Norway. It lacks a cleaning rod and a screw for the sight, but I'll get hold of that. Otherwise it is a great example. The sling, belt and bayonet frog are all rarer than the rifles and bayonets...

The receiver is dated 1915 and stamped by the Kongsberg arsenal.

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This second one is more like they are more often found...
The Krags have been used for about 113 years and are still used for competition shooting, hunting and leisure shooting. No wonder so many have been sporterized over the years. This one has had the military stock cut and whittled into a different shape. It has been rebarreled and been fitted with a weaver scope. No iron sights are left, the scope is the only sight. The receiver is 1903 dated. A sad sight for a collector, but rather representative for the state so many are in...

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have owned a couple US Krags in 30-40.. they were super smooth and accurate.

I always wondered how the 6,5mm versions would shoot since the cartridge is better suited for perfect shot placement.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
No problem and certainly no offense.

There really needs to be a Krag forum. They don't fit anywhere.

Dutchman
I could not agree more Dutchman.
The "more or less U.S." Krag forums are somewhat lacking, well, at least compared to this forum they leave a lot to be desired. It would be nice to enrich our knowledge of the fine Norwegian and Danish military arms also.

John

·
Silver Bullet member
1,082 Posts
The Norwegian Krag is one of my 'holy grails' for my collection. A hard one to find in good, original condition. One beautiful rifle.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
There is a Norwegian Krag in a shop local to me dated 1915.The origional stock is long gone and it now wears a really nice sporter stock.My question would be, is it impossible to find an origional stock? I would think it would be, and would one of the repro stocks fit as I think they are made for the U.S. versions?

·
Super Moderator
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see original Krag stocks now and then here in Norway. I saw three this spring at a gun fair and there is one advertised for sale now at a norwegian auction board (but that one includes a barrel, so requires a permit to buy...).

So, no, not impossible. If you wish I could look for one here. There is a new gun fair in october. I have no idea of prices though, and postage from Norway to the US can be a bit steep.

I don't think shipping it would be a problem, it does not count as a gun part here and I suppose it doesn't anywhere else either?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
combat32

First, Is it a long rifle or a carbine? Carbine stocks a very hard to find. Also they are not interchangeable with the long rifle as the trigger-guards are different. From what I have been told most of the carbines were exported from Norway and quite scarce even there.
I have only seen one long rifle stock for sale on e-bay (and I have been checking for years) it sold for over two hundred. And one carbine stock for over $300.00. Plus you would need the barrel bands, handguard, ???

I imported a long rifle stock from Norway last year for about $300.00 with bands and handguard but I am saving it for a pre-1899 Krag that has been sporterized, although I am still looking for a nice one.

I might be mistaken but I do not believe the U.S. Krag stock will fit, I know the Danish stocks will not.

Best of luck, John

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Bayonetcollector

Please forgive me for not saying thank you for your post of the Norwegian Krags. Your original Krag long rifle is very nice. And as you say, the sling, belt and frog/scabbard are highly prized by collectors.

If you should happen to find a fair price on any pre-1917 Norwegian military items feel free to let me know. And, if I am incorrect about the carbine stocks being hard to find, I am also looking for one of those.

Regards, John

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
No problem and certainly no offense.

There really needs to be a Krag forum. They don't fit anywhere.

Dutchman

FWIW, there is a Krag forum over at Culvers Shooting Page (jouster.com) that may offer some help for the Scandanavian Krags. Mostly I see US Krags represented, but from time to time the rest are discussed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I too have been searching for a Norwegian Krag, at least until last weekend when I acquired the Mdl 1912 Engineers Carbine as shown below at a local gun show. I've only seen a handful of these beautiful rifles for sale, and more often than not, they had badly corroded bores despite their otherwise fine cosmetic appearance.

One of the things that I found most attractive about the Norwegian Krag rifles, besides their exceptional quality, was that they were chambered for the fine 6.5x55 Swedish cartridge, perhaps my favorite cartridge.

Now all I need to find is an original cleaning rod, sling, and bayonet. The search continues:)

LDHare

PS: I also searched the boards for a good place to post on Krags, but alas, there appears to be no better place than here, at least for the Danish and Norwegian versions.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,082 Posts
Wow, that Krag is in great condition. Color me green with envy.:D
Since, I have been looking for one, I have found out just how rarely they are seen.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,708 Posts
I have owned a couple US Krags in 30-40.. they were super smooth and accurate.

I always wondered how the 6,5mm versions would shoot since the cartridge is better suited for perfect shot placement.
The Krag....Was it the best military rifle even 100 years or more ago? Probably not.
The Krag.... Are they so slick, silky smooth, and nice to shoot that a lot of people love
them well over 100 years later? Absolutely.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,085 Posts
Wow

thanks Dutchman for your patience, after all the Norskis, Swede's and Danes were in a defensive cooperation alliance at one point : < }
What a beauty. that is the nicest NK I have ever seen. I have all the metal and stock hardware except one screw in a long stalled restoration project on a 1912 carbine. The wood on mine is horribly bubbaed. hacked forend, slimmed down and rudely shortened butt with a ancient rubber recoil pad. This was a project from an era when I was in jr high school or some such. On one of the now defunct gunforums there was a norwegian named Nord who researched the serial number of mine and suggested it was within 2 serial #s of rifles that during ww2 were issued to a skijouring unit that dissolved into the Fiords. there rifles were buried, and not recovered until after the war. Mine showed a weird pitting on the magazine that fits those details
Your photos are the best I have ever seen of a 1912. I have never seen a photo of the handguards, particularly the flat of the rear one.
LD Hare let me dig around, probably for a long while, be patient. somewhere I have a cleaning rod that I paid $12.00 on e-pay for. they are very distinct, and only about 8 inches long. Mine will never be restored to the beautiful stage that yours is. If I find it before you scroung one up up I will get it your way.
gil

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
The Third (Reich) Face of Norwegian Krags

This was a superb thread started by Andy_P (of 8x63mm Swedish fame) in the old Military Mauser forum, where it would soon be lost forever. I therefore take the liberty to import it here:

Andy_P
Posted - 05/23/2005 : 11:08:23 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not a Mauser, but there is no Krag forum, and you guys know German arms.

A strange beast, marked Nb 1944-014, with two German eagles, in 6.5x55. Wood uncut, but bayonet lug is cut off. What is it? Should I post elsewhere?
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/Andy_P/200552311330_krag1.jpg
Download Attachment:
113.54 KB
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/Andy_P/200552311410_krag3.jpg
Download Attachment:
245.98 KB
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/Andy_P/200552311432_krag4.jpg
Download Attachment:
249.36 KB
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/Andy_P/200552311452_krag5.jpg
Download Attachment:
129.64 KB
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/Andy_P/200552311537_krag7.jpg
Download Attachment:
226.58 KB
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/Andy_P/200552311558_krag8.jpg
Download Attachment:
124.99 KB
http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/Andy_P/200552311729_krag6.JPG
Download Attachment:
173.65 KB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andy
www.8mmARPWildcat.pridham.ca
www.8x63swedish.pridham.ca
Edited by - Andy_P on 02/25/2006 08:08:10 AM

JL
Posted - 05/23/2005 : 11:51:19 AM
Not much info out there on these seldom seen rifles. Mine is Na 1943-3xx marked, all matching with bayonet lug. When I was looking for info I found that only a couple thousand were put together in 43 and 44. Found the info on one of the krag rifle sites, but I don't remember which one. I have only seen a couple others looking for info on their German marked Krags. The one I have is the only one I have seen for sale. JL
need bayonet lug and band for Danish krag cavalry or engineer carbine. JL

gew88guy
France
Posted - 05/23/2005 : 8:35:03 PM
WOW ! I guess when it comes to WW2 German arms a man better never say, "ain't no such thing".

http://www.cruffler.com/trivia-December99.html
Imperial German Regimental Markings

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:gLo9Di3bwssJ:claus.espeholt.dk/mediearkiv/WAAE.pdf waa63 waffenamt&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1
Das Heereswaffenamt

kriggevaer
Posted - 05/23/2005 : 9:54:20 PM
Nice find! A Stomperud Krag-Jørgensen! Trond Wikborg has a nice write up on these on his website, http://www.geocities.com/norskevaapen/.

vaughn99
Posted - 05/24/2005 : 03:32:07 AM
you have a Nazi Norwegian Krag Desiganted M1943 NOC ( Nazi Occupied Carbine). they were made from 1943-1944 with a total of about 1000 made in all. they were nazi marked and all were like the model 1912 carbine version just not full lentgh stocks some 1894 remarked norewegian ones have been reported but there are all norwegian maufacured and new markings added. i have seen 12 such rifles so far. most are like yours cause after the war they banned baynoets so they cut them off to comply with the laws of the country that rifle resided in. the serial range is from 152001-152300 and 301-1000 but some repeat serials have been seen but the difference is the NA, NB, NC N must equal Nazi and the leter after words is the letter block, i believe i have seen just a N before and your serial must be 14 on your rifle am i correct?? also all these rifles were assembled with unfinished parts or rifle that returned for reservicing and sometimes non maching serial parts do show up from time to time. they added a site hood also and all rifle have a very crude look to them. not the normal high quality norwegian rifle we are use to seeing. your are missing your cleaning rod and site hood :)

gaweidert
Posted - 05/24/2005 : 07:49:43 AM
After the Germans overran Norway, they not only took possession of captured complete Krags, but also built up one from parts already in arsenals. These were issued to rear area troops, occupation troops prison guards etc. In Hogan's Heroes, Sgt. Schultz carries a Krag. This would be correct. On the Michael John Littman U.S Weapons forum below, you can get a lot more info. Don't you just love that silky smooth action.

WaPrüf2
Posted - 05/24/2005 : 08:50:12 AM
The Krag carried by Schulz in HOGAN'S HEROS is a U.S. model.
When the Germans got around to disarming the Danish army (1942?) many Danish Krags were turned over to the Luftwaffe.
It seems highly unlikely to me that the N prefix on the NOCs = "Nazi."
The term "Nazi Occupation Carbine" is a collector's term, not, so far as I know, an official designation.
Note, on the website referenced, the German grenade launcher adapted for use on these rifles by addition of a slot which fits around the bayonet stud when fixed on the rifle.

malaki
Posted - 05/24/2005 : 10:41:52 AM
At least one other text lists the designation as:

G.211(n) - Norwegian Krags
G.311(d) - Danish Krags

WaPrüf2
Posted - 05/24/2005 : 11:49:32 PM
I did a little digging. The following is based on an extensive discussion of these arms in: Karl Hanevik, Krag-Jorgensen gevaeret, Halden (Norway) 1994, ISBN 82-993143-0-5.
N is thought to indicate German "Norwegische" = Norwegian; the suffix letter the series. Thus Na = Norwegian (series) a, etc.
The first lot was numbered: Na152001-152175; the second lot carried on the numbering but eliminated the first three digits: Na 176-1000; these lots were made in 1943. Lot Nb001-1000, Nc39001-39300, 471-520, 1901-2150 were made in 1944, for a total production run of 2600.
It's too bad this book is not available in English; it is very thorough.
Unfortunately I can't extract much more from this with reliability since my Norwegian is rudimentary to nil....

Gunrunner
Posted - 02/26/2006 : 1:00:47 PM
I have one of the long Krags in 6.5 marked Nb1944-801, it's all matching and in exc. condition but no cleaning rod or sling. Would anybody know where I might find a rod and sling? Chuck

retpo
Posted - 02/27/2006 : 8:37:26 PM
try kragcollectorsassociation.org many photos and also a forum.

jousters.com has a krag forum , both have a wealth of knowledge about all different krag variations.

DocAV
Posted - 03/01/2006 : 09:13:09 AM
The Germans probably issued these "Norwegische" Gewehre (all "fremde Geräte" were classed "Gewehr") to Quisling units within Norway.
The Germans did take over the excellent Colt-Browning M1927 watercooled MGs (in 7,92x61 Norwegian) and utilised them on Eastern front trains and Railroad depots, for protection and A-A use (probably converted to 7,9x57 for ease of ammunition supply (from a Book on the Reichsban in WW II, with Lots of photos of especially the Eastern front, taken by a Railways Officer). They also took over the Danish Madsen heavy MG in 8x58R, and rebuilt them into beltfed guns for AA defence for the Luftwaffe, again in 7,9mm. Saw one of these reviewed some 35 years ago , in G&A magazine (or was it "Guns"?)in the USA. (it was presented as a complete outfit, with tripod, chest, spares, etc, just as bought from Interarms Virginia, in working order at the time.)

Interesting what the Germans did with occupation Weaponry.

regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics

·
Silver Bullet member
1,082 Posts
Just picked up what I think is a Norwegian 1912 carbine. But the front band is different than I have seen pictures of. Is there any good web sites out there with info on these rifles?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts