Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on my book, and I have gotten the the Tube Pack, which was (according to the Vets I have interviewed) viewed as a day pack/assault pack.

Now here is the serious questions, and I am hoping to find a serious answer:

1. What would you say it is made out of? I just can't place my hand on it...

2. When interviewing Japanese Vets on them, they gave me a wide arrangement of gear carried in them. So, my question is: In the collectors worlds, what is typically said that is carried inside of the pack? I ask this to compare notes.

3. Who were the makers of these packs? An Arsenal, or a local family sewing business?

Much Thanks,

~Drew

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
Drew,
tell us more about these Japanese vets. Where are they, did you interview in person? What language?

We all have a few questions we'd like to ask, maybe we could impose on you to use your contacts to ask some other questions; like,
did you throw away any part of your rifle? Who ground the mum at the end of the war? Did you have any trouble keeping 6.5 and 7.7 ammo supplied? Did anyone paint their rifles black?

I'm sure everyone can think of more.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Drew, regarding questions on tube pack I feel it was made out of a cotton blend fabric similar to canvas. These are often on eBay & sell relatively cheap. You should buy one! they all appear mint/surplus condition & I bet they are plentifull in Japan. The majority are showa dated & arsenal marked so they were military issue. It is my opinion these weren't used up to wars end and are very rarely shown in use on period photos. It is also just my opinion that they would carry misc. items such as spare clothing, tooth brush etc. I think they were eventually replaced by haversack/breadbag.

·
Banned
1,487 Posts
The tube packs are made of the same material as the pants and tunics that are the heavier cotton. The tube packs were late war to replace the takoashi packs( the ones with tons of straps) the havesacks were used with both types of packs.

·
Registered
322 Posts
From what I understand and looking at my tube packs, they're made of cotton, sometimes with a linen-type inside lining. As far as the intended contents, it makes sense to me that they would include secondary clothing, rations; the stuff intended to be carried in the Type99 (takoashi) pack. A lot of reenactors i've come across suppose that the messkit was intended to be tied on the outside of the tube with those two long tie tapes that separate the two sections. The only problem with that is simply it can't be done in a way that the tin will stay on for more than three steps, especially when full. Most people i've talked to about this agree that the messkit was intended to be put inside the smaller section of the pack. Try it, it fits perfectly.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,215 Posts
Drew,
tell us more about these Japanese vets. Where are they, did you interview in person? What language?

We all have a few questions we'd like to ask, maybe we could impose on you to use your contacts to ask some other questions; like,
did you throw away any part of your rifle? Who ground the mum at the end of the war? Did you have any trouble keeping 6.5 and 7.7 ammo supplied? Did anyone paint their rifles black?

I'm sure everyone can think of more.
I'm VERY intrigued too. Tell us who these vets are. Would love to meet them and host them for a nice dinner or something, and try to ask a few questions while at it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Speaking of asking veterans questions... I spoke to a US Navy vet at a living history event. He mentioned that while at Yokosuka he unwrapped a 'brand new' Type 99 and Type 14. According to his recollection both were wrapped in a sort of white wax paper. I remember there was a discussion about the 'mummy' rifles in pictures. The man mentioned above said that almost all of the rifles in the in the depot he was at were wrapped like this and were all unwrapped by Navy guys before they were either handed out as souvenirs or dumped in Tokyo bay.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Now come on guys.... Give Drew a break.... The Hog hunting community is an extremely tight knit group.... They are very leery of outsiders and their motives. How do you expect to just walk in there and talk to them?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
265 Posts
Tube- holdalls

Hi
Here is a good publication on IJA packs, haversacks and tube hold-alls. Written by a Japanese author in 2003. The book is half Japanese and half English.
Joe T
PS Book states "the type 93 was made of fine "raincoat" cotton cloth and the lining was made of white fine cotton cloth."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.