Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... in my opinion one of the most stylish of all bayonets - especially when we consider the year the design was introduced!

But one thing that puzzles me is WHEN did the Swedes stop marking their 1896 bayonets and their scabbards with regimental unit numbers. E.g., one of my 1896 bayonets is marked L/I 23 no. 63b no. 22, for the Landstormen company of 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] Infantry, in District 63b (Jämtland), bayonet number 22, the mismatched scabbard being marked 3/I 19 no. 674 for Infantry company 3, 19[SUP]th[/SUP] Infantry, bayonet number 674. But another of my 1896's has no unit markings at all.

I can understand the reason why the Swedish High command might have chosen to stop putting unit markings on their bayonets and scabbards: in the event of a war, it prevented an enemy from identifying an opposing Swedish unit from such markings on their bayonets/scabbards.

But, does anyone know WHAT YEAR the decision was made by the Swedish High Command to stop placing these unit markings on bayonets and scabbards?

Thanks in adavance!

Trajan

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Guys,

Well I was able to get at least a part answer to my own question, thanks to Klas Kronberg at the Swedish National Army Museum. He wrote to me as follows:

"The introduction of universal conscription in Sweden in 1901 meant big changes in the Swedish army. Units and regiments were shut down and moved. This meant that large quantities of weapons had to get new unit markings, which took a long time and was unnecessarily expensive. Therefore, they stopped in many cases to mark the weapons with unit markings. But it will take until 1933 before a decision on the matter is taken and the military authorities officially decides to end unit marks."

Las Kronberg also adds that although nobody seems to know when the 1896 stopped being made, the last rifle to use this bayonet - the M1942 - went out of service in 1964.

So, what this seems to mean is that if you have a unit marked Swedish bayonet, it is probably pre-1901, but could be as late as 1933 - actually, I do have a unit-marked post 1913 scabbard, and so unit-markings were certainly still in use in some cases as late as 1913... As for unmarked M1896 bayonets, it would appear that these can belong anywhere in the period 1901-1964, although note that EJ AB stopped making bayonets in 1912, and Carl Gustav started in 1913.

Trajan

·
8,095 Posts
Thanks for finding that information and sharing it with us Trajan. It is particularly interesting to hear you say that "note that EJ AB stopped making bayonets in 1912, and Carl Gustav started in 1913", I didn't realize that. I agree that the Swedish M96 is one of the most interesting bayonets out there.

·
8,095 Posts
That pinch means nothing! It is just an indication that Swedes are real men. :)

(But seriously, they are a little tough sometimes. I guess that means that we Irish aren't.... uh, well, never mind.) *sigh*

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for finding that information and sharing it with us Trajan. It is particularly interesting to hear you say that "note that EJ AB stopped making bayonets in 1912, and Carl Gustav started in 1913", I didn't realize that. I agree that the Swedish M96 is one of the most interesting bayonets out there.
Glad to be of some help to a forum that has helped me a lot! :thumbsup:

Klas Kronberg at the Museum also confirmed what I had seen in other web pages with no source quoted, that the first 280.000 M1896 bayonets were made by Eskilstuna Jernmanufactur AB between 1899 to 1912 - maker's mark on ricasso is EJ-anchor-AB; and that in 1912 the tools were sold to Carl Gustaf Stad, who started manufacture in 1913 = maker's mark on ricasso is Crown/G, but nobody seems to know how many were made at Carl Gustav Stad or when production of the M1896 actually stopped there. As I kind of indicated in my post above, I do have a scabbard with a unit mark that has to be post 1913 as it is a Carl Gustav product

Oh, also note that although the model 1896 was approved in that year, manufacture did not actually start until 1899! More annoyingly, each M1896 bayonet was numbered as made, but when they got to 999, they started the numbering sequence at 001 again... It's a pity they didn't do something like the Germans, who, with each new numbered sequence of bayonets after the first 9999, started the next sequences with consecutive letters, e.g., B 1445, C 1681, etc.

Trajan

PS: I can also recommend the Museum's web-site - http://www.digitaltmuseum.se/

·
8,095 Posts
That is a great link, thanks. But seriously, only 2796 results in the search for " Bajonet "? (I'll be there for a while........) :)

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
That pinch means nothing! It is just an indication that Swedes are real men. :)

(But seriously, they are a little tough sometimes. I guess that means that we Irish aren't.... uh, well, never mind.) *sigh*
My real problem is I need three hands to get the darn thing off: one to hold the rifle, one to hold the bayonet, one to pull the button. Usually I end up taking the rifle off the rack and pinning it with my knees so both hands are free.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is a great link, thanks. But seriously, only 2796 results in the search for " Bajonet "? (I'll be there for a while........) :)
Yeah, there are rather a lot of things to see... I keyed in '1896 bajonett' and got 15 pages with 220 objects, some the bayonet and scabbard, some the bayonet, some the scabbard, some the frogs, and other webbing, plus rifles, etc...:p

But really a superb site!

Trajan

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Thanks Trajan for the very interesting info, could You please ask when was realised the refurbishment by Erik Anton Berg? best regards,Andy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts