Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
3,724 Posts
Bradford Angier wrote at least 35 books on wilderness survival, but my favorite is "Survival With Style" (Stackpole Books, 1972). Particularly good for edible wild plants. Long out of print, but I've seen paperbacks at Amazon. I found my hardcover edition at an antique shop, of all places.

·
Super Moderator
409 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Reading List for hard times

"Walden" - Henry David Thoreau - tips on living simply
"Professional Guides Manual" - John Herter - outdoor and hunting skills
"The Book of Survival" - Anthony Greenbank - how to get through about any bad situation
"How to Stay Alive in the Woods" - Bradford Angier - outdoor skills
"Skills for Taming the Wilds" - Bradford Angier - outdoor skills
"Reading the Woods" - Vinson Brown - outdoor skills
"Finding Your Way in the Outdoors" - Robert L. Mooers, Jr. - map reading, navigation

Get a good book on outdoor or "chuck wagon" cooking.
Get a good book on plant identification and uses.
Learn to trap.
Learn to fish.
Learn to ride a horse.
If your parents or grandparents are still living, get them started talking, shut up, and listen.

Take a driving vacation down the back roads and talk to the old timers in the small towns.

Search www.dogpile.com for these free downloads:
FM3-05.70 Army Survival Manual
FM23-10 Sniper Training
FM3-05 (FM 100-25) Army Special Operations Forces
FM20-3 Camouflage, Concealment, and Decoys

Also see http://www.army.mil/usapa/doctrine/active_fm.html for a list of active field manuals with links.

·
Silver Bullet member
34,556 Posts
Sorta off on a tangent away from books, but "Survivorman" and "Man vs Wild" are excellent programs. You actually see Les Stroud and Bear Gryll using survival skills, and you see that things aren't always as neat or easy as something in a book can make them seem. Also, you get a better idea of how wilderness survival can affect you both physically and mentally.

·
Registered
264 Posts
"The Complete Modern Blacksmith"

If you work with tools at all, once you start thumbing through this one you won't put it down. The man who wrote it was a machinist, artist, & teacher in that order. He literally lived in the jungle with no technology at one point and made all his tools & fixtures from found items. It turned my thinking inside out as before reading the book my first inclination was to go peruse the tool aisle when I needed something. This book is a great read and you can apply the principles in it to your life right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Modern-Blacksmith-Alexander-Weygers/dp/0898158966

·
Registered
144 Posts
Old School Books and Magazines

At the risk of showing my age and the time I have spent prepping 'here are two (2) OLD SCHOOL books. Both are buy Esther Dickey.
1 Skills for Survival, how families can prepare --copy right 1978-- my copy is 3rd printing March 1981-- Horizon Publishers & Distributors, Bountiful, Utah
2 Passport to Survival, four foods and more to use and store,-- copy right 1969-- my copy 24th printing 1981--Bookcraft Publishers Salt Lake City, Utah
From time to time I will post articles from the now defunct Survive Magazine, "which went out of print in 1983", just to show that nothing has changed all that much or just to get a laugh.

·
Super Moderator
16,716 Posts
I had almost every issue of "Survival Guide" back then myself, as well as reading Mel Tappin's articles in G&A and SoF magazines. Don't worry about showing your age. Most of my survival books were new 30 years ago when I bought them too. I remember getting some funny looks from the cashiers at the book shop then as well.

·
Super Moderator
16,716 Posts
Survival also means reducing your risk of becoming a victim of crime or terrorism. Here's a few. Not in any particular order:

Strong On Defense, Survival rules to protect you and your family from crime
by Sanford Strong
Pocket Books, 1996

Not an Easy Target, Paxton Quigley's Self-Protection for Women
by Paxton Quigley
Simon & Schuster, 1995

The Safety Minute :01 How to be safe in the streets, at home, and abroad so you can save your life!
by Robert L. Siciliano
Safety Zone Press, 1996

The Gift of Fear (and other survival signals that protect us from violence)
by Gavin De Becker
Dell publishing, 1997

Fear Less, real truth about risk, safety, and security in a time of terrorism.
by Gavin De Becker
Little, Brown and Co., 2002

We are all the target, A handbook of terrorism avoidance and hostage survival
by Douglas S. Derrer
Naval Institute Press, 1992

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Library is extensive, both hard copy and electronic (everything is on CD, not just on a drive) but I'm a firm believer in actually having skills enough to at least survive in the short term, long enough to get by & towards a minimum level of comfort so one can get around to reading up on more complicated survival or rustic, low-tech off-the-grid life.

Here We Go:
- a mountain of U.S. Military FMs, all of my Hospital Corpsman texts, Field Medical Service School manuals
- Medicine for Mountaineering (Wilkerson)
- Ditch Medicine
- Every Tom Brown novel and Field Guide
- Several Wild Plant and Medicinal Plant/Herb manuals
- Homesteading (Logsdon)
- Outdoor Survival Skills (L.D. Olson)
- Roughing It Easy
- The One Pan Gourmet
- US Army Survival manual
- When Technology Fails
- The Art of Shen Ku
- The Frugal Survivalist:disaster prep under $500 (J. Dakin)
- Homesteading Under $3k (Dakin)
- Jim Dakin's Bison Newsletter, complete collection
- SAS Survival Handbook
- Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook
- Zombie Survival Guide & WWZ ^_^
- You WILL Survive Doomsday (B. Beach)
- Food Storage Cooking School (Utah State U)
- Ragnar Benson's The Modern Survival Retreat
- Ragnar's Urban Survival
- ManTrapping (R Benson)
- Hayduke Revenge books (don't laugh, that stuff comes in handy)
- Poor Man's James Bond (Urban Survival Supplementation)
- Wind Turbine books and plans
- Backwoods Home Survival Article CD
- Survival Naked Into the Wilderness Series
- Foxfire book series
- Ron Hood's Woods Complete DVD set
- Battle Of Jakes
- Lights Out!
- Pax Americana
- $50 Knife Shop & a bunch of other Knife & Blade making books
- Ron Hood's Tai Goo Knife Making Vid
- Basic Blacksmithing/The Modern Blacksmith
- The Fairbairn & Applegate collection of books, Kill or Get Killed, Shooting To Live & the like
- a bunch of Gun-smithing books

Okay, I'm bored & I'm just getting started. And as long as I can get solar for my ThinkPad, I'm good to go for all of my stuff on disk

·
Diamond Member
13,202 Posts
Spam in the sig line.. first thing you ought to read are the freaking rules

·
Super Moderator
16,716 Posts
ATWUSSD welcome to the forums.

Ammosgt is correct about your signature line. You can have your home website listed in your profile, but you are not allowed to hot link in your signature line. It is considered the same as spam and you need to remove it. If you want to list your home website in your signature line you may do so if you become a gunboards sponser. To become a sponser you need to contact the site administrator, Vic. I should also note that you may not copy, cut and paste, or hot link directly to anything posted on gunboards forums onto your website without first obtaining permission from the site administrator, Vic.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank

I finished reading Alas, Babylon for the first time in more than 40 years last night, and highly recommend it in spite of the fact that there are several minor errors in it and that some of the info is dated (after all, it is set in 1959).

Alas, Babylon is not a "how-to" survival manual, nor an academic treatise on the psychology of survival. It tells a fairly simple story of how an extended family and community copes with the initial impact of TEOTWAWKI, and then the ongoing needs of survival. In so doing the author exposes the reader to practical solutions to real-life issues (water, food and shelter) as well as confronting the stresses and challenges of leadership and survival in desperate times.

If you are complacent about disaster preparedness you really, really need to read this book!

·
Super Moderator
16,716 Posts
I recently picked up a Barnes and Noble reprint "United States Air Force Search and Rescue Survival Training" Excellent book with many illustrations and color photos including chapters in psychological aspects of surviving and escape and evasion. I paid a buck at a yard sale. The published price at Barnes and Noble is $12.98. It's often found on the bargain books table in the Barnes and Noble stores.

·
Copper Bullet Member
5,355 Posts
Alas Babylon is the best, I read it 44 years ago, and still have a copy. Another dynamite book is Something of Value, Robert Ruark, about the Mau-Mau rebellion in Kenya. Latest book that's good on survival is World Made by Hand, Kuntsler.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Survive By Les Stroud - Interesting read, some good tips

A Pilgrims Journey 1 & 2 by Mark A. Baker - Historical reinactment/trekking with a ton of primitive survival tips, clothing making, hunting, excellant read too.

Alone - Robert Byrd - a story of what being alone can do to the mind and will, good winter survival tips also

Endurance - Shakelton - excellant story of surivival and the human spirit

Backwoodsman magazine

21 - 40 of 69 Posts