Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A recent post by AmmoSgt got me to wondering if members would be willing to make forum-related book recommendations? If people would name a few books that they've found particularly useful in preparing for less-than-civilized times or places, it would probably benefit a lot of us. Here's my choices.

"Ditch Medicine" by Hugh Coffee. Paladin Press
"Quick & Dirty Guide To Learning Languages Fast" by AG Hawke. Paladin Press and other sources.
The "Ranger Digest" series of books by Rick Tscherne I found these in various PX's but he also has a website. This may be more useful to military folks.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Annie , I'm not a religious nut like some of my post might suggest . I'm just well read .

Honestly , aint much I aint studied.

BUT ,

A series of books came out 'bout 10 year ago called "Left Behind".

Religious in nature , But , from a SHTF standpoint , a good read .

Basically , an armagedon scenario . Planes falling outta the sky ect .

A Good bedtime read , plus some good survival points .

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Lights Out by Halfast (book online) Entertaining, well thought out with valuable, thought inspiring lessons worked into each chapter

http://survivalmonkey.com/SF books/LightsOut!/LightsOut-Current.pdf

Making The Best Of Basics by Stevens: A little dated but chock full of well thought out ideas and organizational tools for S&P

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Best-B...bs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203439930&sr=1-3

Build The Perfect Survival Kit by McCann GREAT book w/ great proven, tested, and sourced equipment suggestions.

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Perfect...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203440145&sr=1-1

Edit: Failed to see the forest thru the trees.. Atlas Shrugged Ayn Rand
BeSwift

·
Super Moderator
16,740 Posts
Annie, we had a survival library thread before the changeover. It was and still is a very good idea and I would like to see it made into a sticky. Here's a few of mine, in no particular order:

The Special Forces First Aid Survival Manual by Chris Mcnab
Chartwell Books, Inc. 2001
One of several books I have on emergency medicine up to field surgery level. Doesn't replace hands on training, take a class.

Tom Brown's Guide to City and Suburban Survival by Tom Brown
Berkley Books 1984
I like Tom Brown's books. This one tells you what to do if you're trapped in the city such as insulating yourself from cold and how to tell if scavenged food is safe to eat.

How to survive on land and sea by Frank and John Craighead
Naval Institute Press 1943 My copy is from 1981
This is the original wilderness survival manual, as the Craighead brothers, both biologists with the U.S. fish and wildlife service were commissioned by the Navy in 1943 to write a standardized manual for combat pilots in WW-2.

Back to Basics, How to Learn and Enjoy Traditional American Skills
The Reader's Digest Association, Inc. 1981
Everything from how to build a cabin, make soap, make shoes, skinning and butchering wild game and livestock, and building a methane digester to create an energy source from waste.

Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew
Rodale Press, 1981
Covers container gardening and gardening in a square grid to increase yield with less work.

The Practical Book of Greenhouse Gardening by Ronald Menage
Ward Lock Limited 1983
Pretty straight forward construction and use of a greenhouse.

Farming the Waters by Peter Limburg
Beaufort Books, Inc. 1980
Aquaculture and fish farming because I'm not a vegetarian. This book is more towards the commercial aspect of aquaculture but I haven't found a good book about small scale aquaculture. I'm open to suggestions.

Hydroponics: A Practical Guide For the Soilless Grower by J. Benton Jones
CRC Press, 1997
Hey, I'm just trying to cover all the angles here.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
SAS Survival Book

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not books but good reading.
Countryside & Small Stock Journal - magazine of modern homesteading.
Lancaster Farming www.lancasterfarming.com weekly newspaper

PDR Nurse's Drug Handbook "the information standard for prescription drugs and nursing considerations"
ISBN 076681086-0 This describes the available prescription drugs usage and dosage.

·
Super Moderator
16,740 Posts
Wilderness Survival Handbook (revised edition) by Alan Fry
St. Martin's Griffon 1996 ISBN 0-312-14763-5
I'd call this a very good book to read at home in the comfy chair before going on a trip but not a great field guide to take with you. I just wouldn't choose to take this book over any of the military type "field guides" that tend to have more illustrations and less commentary which would make them more practical in the field.

Moderators, this topic really should be a sticky

·
Super Moderator
16,740 Posts
Finding and Buying Your Place in the Country by Les Scher attorney-at-law and Carol Scher, consumer advocate
Collier Books division of Macmillan Publishing Company 1988 ISBN 0-02-008400-5
We all aspire to getting out of the city or the suburbs and finding a place where we can comfortably outlast the starving, riotous hordes in the city. This is the book that will help you to not get screwed by sellers or seller's agents. Information that I didn't know before includes such gems as: When you buy the land make sure the purchase includes the rights to what's under it. Many sellers want to retain mineral rights or water rights to the property they sell, for example, and you would not be allowed to make use of those resources at all or without paying them an ongoing licensing fee for its use. Make sure you will be allowed to make any improvements that you had in mind when you first looked at the property. Many homes and properties might be restricted due to their being a historic site that, by regulation, must be kept in its original state and many properties might fall under natural resources restrictions that would prevent any development due to them being natural wetlands or woodlands, bird sanctuaries or other state restrictions that could not only prevent you from making improvements, but could prevent you from selling to someone else or even require you to pay for cleanup and restoration after the previous owner did something he shouldn't have.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,429 Posts
“Nuclear War Survival Skills”, Cresson H. Kearny. http://www.ki4u.com/free_book/s73p920.htm

“Putting Food By”, Hertzberg-Vaughan-Greene. This book is one of my ‘Must Haves’ for a SHTF library. It covers every possible way to store food. Canning, freezing, drying, root-cellaring, curing, salting, smoking, you name it. Even tells you how to make soap. Mine is a second edition I got back in 75. But I believe it is still available.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,429 Posts
I sure hope you enjoy it. If you get even a fraction of the use out of it that I did I think you will be happy. I’m also glad to hear it is still available.

·
Super Moderator
16,740 Posts
Got kids? If society collapsed how would you educate your kids. I recommend a complete set of encyclopedias that should be replaced about every ten years, real books, not the CD/DVD versions, and a set of text books for English, math, science, the humanities and social studies. There are organizations that assist parents who want to home school their kids to obtain text books and develop an age and skill level appropriate curriculum. Find these groups and get help from them now, even if your kids are in a regular school.

3,724 Posts
Books for TEOTWAWKI

The latest edition of Thomas F. Adams' "Police Field Operations". If things go haywire, chances are the police agencies will be misused, and we should all know their playbook backward and forward. Get it before it is restricted. You don't think books are restricted here? Just try to find a copy of [DELETED].

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Per request on another thread.

The Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency, by John Seymour (copyright 1976).

·
Super Moderator
411 Posts
Annie, we had a survival library thread before the changeover. It was and still is a very good idea and I would like to see it made into a sticky.
Just let me know what you guys want and I will see what I can do to help out!

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am new here, but I thought I'd add my two cents. Bingo is right on, the SAS Survival Handbook is the most comprehensive wilderness survival guide I have ever read. I am not sure what the current version is like, but my copy is a softcover thats about the size of a VHS tape. Its taken a beating and hasn't yet begun to fall apart. There are full color snake, plant, mushroom, etc guides, dozens of different methods of building shelter, snares, traps, various fire pits for different purposes, first aid, navigation, you name it. It puts my scout manual and an older US Army survival guide to shame.

·
Registered
4 Posts
teotwaki reference reading

Fiction
Lucifer's Hammer - Larry Niven / Jerry Pournelle
Pulling Through - Dean Ing (has plans for fallout meter inside, along with some good essays to get you started)

Practical
+1 to the Back to Basics book by readers digest
the Foxfire books
Emergency first aid book - Take the Red Cross course to start
Stocking up - a book on canning / preserving

recommend you cruise past survivalblog.com for a great heap of info.

hope this helps.

CB

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
A few recommendations on radio communications.

The World of CB Radio by Mark Long, Bonnie Crystal, and Jeffrey Keating

Now You're Talking! All You Need to Get Your First Amateur Radio License, Fifth Edition by R. Dean Straw

Low Profile Amateur Radio: Operating a Ham Station from Almost Anywhere, by Al Bragdon

1 - 20 of 69 Posts