Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased Remington 4295 about 6 years ago for $550. About 4 years ago, I posted it here and met Rick the L. He said it was a nice one and it was too bad it didn't have the GG RLB stock. At that point I didn't know who Mr Roy Bowlin was and had little idea what I was getting into! The good news was I had a Remington hand guard and the front sight, both bands, elevation knob, rear sight base, bolt and parts and the follower were R marked. The bad new was I needed to find R marked cubby door, triggerguard, follower spring, floorplate, rear sight friction knob and support, lower sling swivel base, on/off switch...all of which had to be milled and last but not least a RLB GG stock. Yesterday, in the mail, the last R marked part arrived(the rear sight friction knob). At long last, 4295 is back to a complete Remington rifle. Recently, there have been posts on the forum that would lead one to believe that it's impossible to find all these parts. Well, not only can you find them, save the RLB stock, the parts are inexpensive especially when you figure the payback of selling the incorrect parts. Sources are this forum, WTB forum here, trader forum at CMP, Dupage Trading Company(Jim has brand new never issued Remington hand guards by the way) friends on this site and networking......one part leads to another. The toughest ones for me are shown in the pictures and although my RLB cartouche is faint.....it's still there! If you are going to do this you need to make some spare time and make a checklist. Good luck.....it's worth the effort I assure you. Regards, Rick.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
4,331 Posts
Excellent restoration of a VERY early Remington! I always enjoy the hunt as well; I am currently looking for a Remington M1917 bolt shroud, R marked and blued for one of my own projects!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Rick, thats the kind of story I like to here! I would love to be able to find a early Rem like that. I also enjoy the hunt! How long did it take you to find the stock and what % of the cost of the rifle was it!? Thanks for the pics, awesome!

·
Copper Bullet member
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stock found me! I had posted a few pics here of some of the parts I had found when I got a PM. A fellow member from Alabama had the stock and offered it to me for $250 delivered as he had given up on the chase. The internet and unlimited cell phone use has made rare parts easier to find.....you just have to stay in the loop. In my log, I kept all the contacts and phone numbers and made it a point to call and BS from time to time....most collectors like to talk about their guns. The friction knob proved to be very elusive and then a new contact popped up who had one....he practically gave it to me when he found out it was the last piece to the puzzle. 4295 may be the most photographed 03 in the country....here is what it looks like all restored. Thanks for the kind words and regards, Rick.

Still need a 03A3 unmarked blued follower and a parked lug band!( I'm shameless)

·
Gold Bullet member
4,331 Posts
Is that bolt blued? I have a mid-range Remington 1903 that came with a correct bolt but had no gas escape hole... so my quest was to get a shooter bolt that was correct and safe to take to the range (although I probably never will shoot it since it appears to have never been issued). I found the correct Remington smooth milled, blued bolt last month for $65 on one of the auction sites with a BIN of $65.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Brad. The bolt body is dark grey/black I believe they call it black oxide....neither blued nor parked...including the extractor. The remaining bolt parts are blued. I believe the early ones were either blued or black....not Parked. Perhaps Rick the L can chime in here. You got a great deal on that milled bolt! What Auction site?

Your question on the bolt raises another question. Remington used the old RI tooling and presumably the contract was close to the same. I thought the Army started Parkerizing rifle parts late in WWI? so, should the bolt be black, blue or that grey park? My 1943 SC has a blued bolt and all bolt parts save the extractor which is parked and incorrect. Regards, Rick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts