Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, you know what I thought about installment #1. I literally dozed off after about 40 minutes.

You :confused:
That sucks cause thats about when they got done with the intro and things got REALLY good. It could have stood to be a little less artistic but I appreciated the lack of "talking head" pundants giving the same canned responses other documentarys have

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I am still going to give it a chance. It couldn't get any worse.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
16,531 Posts
???

I was at a Dbacks game. This one was a snore, but, welch das Schnarchen ist?

Gary

·
Diamond Member
5,750 Posts
I've looking forward to this all week and now I am just bummed out. The snore....what a riot! Oh well, maybe it will get better. Denny

·
Registered
10,435 Posts
Doent understand what some of you were looking for, movie style fighting footage? "experts" praising Mosins as the best rifles ever;)? or....?
I thought this was very interesting, PERSONAL stories/accounts from those that were there. Their stories, nothing more. It was like sitting across the table from them listening.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doent understand what some of you were looking for, movie style fighting footage? "experts" praising Mosins as the best rifles ever;)? or....?
I thought this was very interesting, PERSONAL stories/accounts from those that were there. Their stories, nothing more. It was like sitting across the table from them listening.
For me, it was a pace so slow that it was a bore. The "scan and pan" of pictures accompanied by cello and piano worked great for The Civil War, but just doesn't seem to work on this topic.

I'm watching the replay to see what I missed during the earlier nap, but it does not seem any more dynamic the second time around.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I really enjoyed the personal accounts, and some of the footage used was stuff I had not seen before. The narrator is what almost killed me...that guy came real close to putting me to sleep. I am hoping it gets better.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I really enjoyed the personal accounts, and some of the footage used was stuff I had not seen before. The narrator is what almost killed me...that guy came real close to putting me to sleep. I am hoping it gets better.
Oh, I agree that the personal accounts are generally great. They were there, many of us here were not even on this earth. Just the slow pace and the cello (I do like cello, BTW) does not make it very dynamic.

KB certainly does not like "DMac" (Dug-Out Doug) or the Japanese very much.

Tom Hanks does a little of the narration and sounds like he is asleep. The main narrator is horrible, deep voice, but no effort in the delivery--very flat.

History does seem to agree on the topic of Douggie--he was a pompous arse from West Point's old school.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Upon further review"...might be some good stuff here. The first part, as another mentioned, was kind of slow. Now viewing the Latino segment. No cello and piano here!

·
Registered
10,435 Posts
Oh, I agree that the personal accounts are generally great. They were there, many of us here were not even on this earth. Just the slow pace and the cello (I do like cello, BTW) does not make it very dynamic.

KB certainly does not like "DMac" (Dug-Out Doug) or the Japanese very much.

Well, yeah, I agree the pace was slow at(most) times. I was doing other things with just listening to the program, didn't even notice one of the narrators was Tom Hanks. Like I said though, it was like sitting across the table from them, picking up on their emotions and feelings, it was good.
I like cello too, cherry, strawberry and lime are my favorites.:D

BTW I can understand the individuals in the PTO harboring bad feelings towards the enemy Jap combatiants BUT there didn't seem to be any negitive sentiments towards the Japanese Americans.
Granted KB could have edited the clips but only to a degree, he didn't write a script and it was the genuine feelings, even after 60+ years, of these men that came through.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ except when the acute pain from the spliced in black and latino segments and the obligatory japanese internment sobbing woke me up.
Strange that all those interviewed felt sorry about the internment when the average west coaster of the time hated japs. Exactly why do you think they were they carted off to internment camps, anyway?

Just as I predicted Ken Burns' emotions and political correctness got the best of him and warped the reality of the times. And why does he keep showing the same stuff over and over when he's got a billion feet of film to work with? Is he trying to recreate the Civil War series where lots of the incients covered lacked photos? Or the horrible Lewis and Clark river zooming film clip repeated ad-nauseum that made up for the complete lack of visual material and a low budget?

·
Gold Bullet member
550 Posts
Hopefully, installment #2 will be better. I had to switch to the football game after about 20 minutes. Changed back to catch the end of the battle for Guadalcanal. All those Marines were carrying Springfields just like the history books said.

regards....roger

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
It's called coffee y'all!
If a modern tv show on WWII don't keep you awake, you may need to consult your doctor!
Good or bad, left wing liberal or neo-con, the film footage and first person descriptions are priceless.
I am still chuckling over the line the Marine said to the two boys trying to enlist in the Navy who said "You can't join them, your parents are MARRIED"!
The lady from Mississipi talking about one then another of the neighborhood kids getting killed or going missing, was pretty strong stuff too.
I for one thought it was great, I don't care if the background music was Frank Zappa, or the Philharmonic.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,426 Posts
"obsolete bolt action single shot rifles designed in 1903" according to the film.

The personal stories weren't bad, per se, but it wasn't tying into the bigger picture. He seemed to completely miss everything else that happened in order to capture vignettes of life as they pertained to how the bigger picture had affected people- but without really touching the why the world around them created those circumstances, it was rootless and wandering. Only the latino section really tied things together, and that's just 'cause the interviewee made it make sense.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
I have to agree that the Marines that carried the 03's would have been better off with the more modern 1924 designed Garand.
On the other hand when the ammo went to the bottom along with most of the other gear, those boltguns might have been just the ticket.

·
Registered
10,435 Posts
"obsolete bolt action single shot rifles designed in 1903" according to the film.
I thought that was funny too.
I turned to my daughter and said "thats less obsolete then the obsolete rifles the others used, designed in 1891, 1898, 1895, ..."
I just let the "single shot" comment slide.:rolleyes:

·
Silver Bullet member
676 Posts
I thought it was fine. New video, and great first person narratives. If the guy at the end talking about his best friend dying slow didn't get to you, nothing will.
This was made for folks other than us. the 2/3rds of Americans who can't even tell you who we fought against or why.
Give it time, and drag your kids away from the video games and make them watch.
In 10 years it will be ancient history.

·
Gold Bullet member
550 Posts
I thought that was funny too.
I turned to my daughter and said "thats less obsolete then the obsolete rifles the others used, designed in 1891, 1898, 1895, ..."
I just let the "single shot" comment slide.:rolleyes:
There all "single shot" if the criteria is how many bullets come out the barrell at the same time. !!!! :)

regards....roger

1 - 20 of 41 Posts