Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nephew had a weekend off from boarding school, so i went to pick him up and spend some time with him (about a 3 hr drive from my house). We stayed in hotel up in north central Ohio. I took him to the Lorain County (OH) gun show on Sunday.

We starting wondering about the show as we were driving into the fairgrounds parking lot- there might have been 20 cars total. As we walked to the gunshow building, we were asking each other "is this it?" There were maybe 20-25 tables, sparsely appointed and more dealers than customers. As far as milsurps, well, there wasn't a mosin or mauser to be seen.

We would have been done in about 15 minutes, but somehow managed to linger for almost an hour. Did pick up some reasonably priced .22 long rifle ammo and 1000 WWLP primers at less than store/internet prices.

Anyway, we had a good time.

Curious- What is the smallest gun show you have ever been to?

mark

·
Administrator
12,034 Posts
April this year in Tuscola, IL - less than 10 dealers. Took me 5 min to go through the usual shotguns and Century stuff they were trying to sell. That's central Illinois for you... ain't much around. Gosh, I miss Oklahoma in days like those!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Wow reminds me of a gunshow I went to in St Clairsville OH, a few years ago. No kidding I may have more guns than were available at that show! Was very tempted to ask for my admission fee back but just laughed it off and left.

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
Small show

Tuco,Ol Duke,Capt.Zorro,and i went to a show neer Gatlinburg,Tn.when you went in you paid before you were where you could see in the show.We had more guns in the car than was in this show.
Capt Zorro and me went to a show in Johnson City where the fellow putting on the show told those there he was giving there money back and was sorry he wasted our time.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Capt Zorro and me went to a show in Johnson City where the fellow putting on the show told those there he was giving there money back and was sorry he wasted our time.
That sounds like the worst show in history.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
Most gunshow promoters have a "no loaded firearms" requirement, including concealed carry. I know all of them around the St. Louis area do. They would not be able to get insurance if they allowed loaded firearms on the premises.

Most gunshows in this area range 125 to 500 tables, but I have seen a few around 90 tables -- nothing as small as you guys describe! Most self respecting promoters would cancel a show rather than set up something that dismal.

·
Copper Bullet member
395 Posts
I went to a small show at a local church hall of all places nearby a few years ago. I managed to pick up a complete M1905 Ross MkII for $200 and an excellent Smith-Corona 03-A3 for $400. Another guy had a Check VZ-52 rifle and 500 rounds of ammo for $250 but I was out of money by then. I keep an ear out, but as far as I know they have never had a gun show there since.

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
Everyone should stay away from small shows.
The last small show I had a table at I BOUGHT a matched numbers full kreigs walnut stock BNZ45 AND a matched numbers Kar98/a....
Move along, nothing to see here, just keep moving...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Heck, I didn't even know about the Lorain County show. I've lived in OH for my whole life and try to hit most shows in the northern half of the state, and never even have HEARD of it!

Smallest was at Erie County also in Ohio. 12 tables.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,605 Posts
The Military Collector Show (or whatever it's called) at Raleigh a couple weeks ago is a pretty small show. About 5 aisles to walk, each about 20 yards long. A wide variety of stuff. I was surprised that I/O was there with a rack full of RC K98's. I was tempted to pick up another 1895 Nagant, but he didn't have any Izhevsks, which is what I want.

Still, a few members here seemed to have a good time at the show, despite its small size....

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The only show I have ever been to was the February 2007 show in Tulsa. That's where I got my M91/30 and my K31. It was fairly large though. I had a good time though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Smallest and only show ive ever been to was this past weekend here in Terre Haute, Indiana. There were maybe 15-20 tables... very few milsurps (almost all CAI imports), lots of sporters, a few bubba specials some decent knives. An alright show if you are into modern stuff as there were some PS90s and FS2000s to be found along with a few Saigas and some WASR-10s. Shotguns were plentiful as well, as were modern pistols. There was a 1943 M-N M44 but the seller knew what he had and had it priced at $225. Some intriguing Russian SKSs were also there but I was looking for cheap milsurps which were not present.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
jonk
Same here been in Ohio 40 plus years and never heard of it. I personally like the Berea and Summit county shows. Medina is pretty good also.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jonk
Same here been in Ohio 40 plus years and never heard of it. I personally like the Berea and Summit county shows. Medina is pretty good also.
I am going to take him to the Berea show on his way back to school on his next weekend off. I haven't been before, but i have heard it is good and your endorsement serves as further encouragement. Thanks.

·
Diamond Member
7,115 Posts
I went to an in-town show around six years ago, and while paying the $4 or $5 at the desk I noticed the room looked a little sparce but figured what the heck. It was only inside that I realized that while there were a lot of tables set up, only two of them were being used! Worse yet, there wasn't a single firearm on either one of them. I went back to the entrance table after about 20 seconds and the guy working the show asked me why I wanted my money back. I told him "this is a gun show....there aren't any guns inside". The cop near the entrance started laughing saying "I don't even know why I'm here".
I got my money back. The most worstest and smallest ever. Denny

·
Registered
75 Posts
I went to a very small one held at a gun club about a year or two ago. About 20 guns, all were shotguns/ deer rifles/ bubbas. No entry fee which was nice, but was a glorious waste of my time.

·
Copper Bullet member
951 Posts
Berea show is usually 3 buildings at the fairground. The first building is always overcrowded and like a sardine can (I think the tables in that building are over priced because the patrons go there first). There are much better deals in the other two buildings. AND I CAN GUARENTEE LOTS OF MOSINS IN THE BACK BUILDINGS just look for a sign that says Russian rifles.
OOPS, I got off subject smallest show Iv'e been to was in a guard Armory in Barberton Oh.

·
Administrator
17,705 Posts
years back I had a table at Milander Park in Hialeah, just north of Miami, that had 20 tables in it. We got totally rained out on Saturday. The rain started early, around 7 or 8 in the morning and didn't stop until 3 in the afternoon, so, many of the dealers didn't even get their stuff unloaded from their cars or vans. The dealers spent the day throwing wads of paper at each other and not a single customer showed up. The rain was only the first problem, the second problem I found out about later was some major event was going on in the city that everyone would have been going to anyway if it weren't for the rain. The promoter apologized to everyone and told us he was not going to open on Sunday and we could consider our table fee paid for the next show.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I had a friend of mine visiting from the UK and decided to treat him to a gunshow. The closest one I could find was in Buffalo, WY so we drove the 140 miles down to see it. When we got in there were maybe 10 tables.

Well. We had a nice lunch at least... ~Andy

1 - 20 of 30 Posts