Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
95,661 Posts
Now that is part of the story I never before heard. Been to the Tomb of the Unknowns several times, solemn occasions every one, at least for me.

And haven't ever been to see Olympia, though it is on my bucket list. One of these days. I hope.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great story. Early 1921 was when many remains started to be returned at family request by refrigerator "funeral ships". Wife's distant 1st cousin returned on USAT Wheaton. Army Ship Photo Index (navsource.org)
Now that is part of the story I never before heard. Been to the Tomb of the Unknowns several times, solemn occasions every one, at least for me.

And haven't ever been to see Olympia, though it is on my bucket list. One of these days. I hope.

·
Administrator
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Gold Bullet Member
231 Posts
That is good stuff

Reactions: Miller Tyme

·
95,661 Posts
Visited the USS Olympia two years ago. Sad to report but she could use a complete restoration.
Yes, she does. Not the only museum ship badly in need of such - notably Battleship Texas (BB39). looks like she will get it, and before it is too late. I hope, I hope. Apparently going to a drydock in Galveston in the next few months for some real major repair/restoration. Which sounds like the old Todd dock where she was last dry-docked has been recommissioned.

From what I have seen in print about Olympia, seems to me she ought to be taken from her current berth and permanently placed in dry display in one of the older and smaller docks at the old navy yard (which is right next to where she is now).

·
Administrator
6,948 Posts
Hey that’s great news about battleship Texas Clyde!

·
95,661 Posts
Hey that’s great news about battleship Texas Clyde!
Yes, saw a little blurb on the subject in the column our State Senator contributes every so often. I've discussed it with our state rep (he goes to the same church The Librarian and i do, and I catch him every now and then) a couple of times and MAYBE something is gonna happen before it is too late.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts