121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Plastic CG80 stock #3

JJessup sent me the photos with permission to re-post them.
It looks just like the two other known plastic CG80 stocks, only much lighter in color. It also looks like the unique butt pad is there, but it's missing the long insert piece on the bottom. Nice find!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I noticed something interesting with my CG80 on the weekend, it looks like it had a scope mount at one point in time. There are holes in the left side of the receiver that look like they match the pictures I've seen of m/41 sniper rifles, including the dowel pins. Who knows, maybe this rifle started life as a sniper rifle, and was later turned into a target rifle? Or the scope could have been done later in life too. Serial number looks like it starts with 694, if that means anything to someone.
Kristian

Attachments

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,564 Posts
The Husqvarna m/38's started with serial number 600,000 . The HVA m/96's were made in between , in the last batch of m/38's with the highest serial number over 705xxx . Replacement receivers can have any serial number which would match the original . The tapped holes are probably an after thought , maybe civilian ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have no idea when the scope mount would have been drilled. How common was it to add that type of scope mount to a rifle after the war? Were there scope mounts available to be installed? I didn't even know there was a special sniper variant of the M96 until I looked up scope mounts for the Swedish Mauser. Lots of interesting history with these rifles, if only they could talk.
Kristian

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,564 Posts
I do not see 2 dowel pin holes from the inside , so it was not a military addition . Plenty of Swedish civilian gun smiths working on firearms , so hard to say who or when the holes were added . Are they welded or plugged & filed flush ? Then reblued ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
At least the rear dowel hole is there, I'll take a closer look to see if the front one is visible too. It looks like they're plugged, not welded. The finish work (grinder or file) is fairly rough, so the plugging probably wasn't done by a professional, and the receiver was re-blued after the holes were plugged. Might be interesting to pick up one of the reproduction scope mounts if I ever see one for a decent price, seeing how the holes are there already anyway.
Kristian

·
Registered
30 Posts
I do not see 2 dowel pin holes from the inside , so it was not a military addition . Plenty of Swedish civilian gun smiths working on firearms , so hard to say who or when the holes were added . Are they welded or plugged & filed flush ? Then reblued ?
I think you're right, I can only find the rearmost dowel hole. Must have been done after the fact.
Kristian

121 - 136 of 136 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.