Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
There appears to be several very different rifles that are all noted as being No5 Mk2

One other type is :

The No5 Mk1 rifle had, however, one big fault : it was not easy to keep correctly sighted, and suffered from what was known as “wandering Zero”. This was a serious defect and many attempts were made to eradicate it. Trials were carried out with different forms of stocking up and a Mk2 pattern was eventually developed, with which further trials carried out in 1945 and 1946. In the new pattern the stock fore-end and hand-guard were extended to within about ½” of the rear of the flash eliminator, and the rear end of the fore-end was strengthened by a screw and nut. The band was positioned about three inches further forward to secure the lengthened fore-end and butt. The Mk2 never went into production, and it was eventually decided that the cause of the “wandering zero” was inherent in the design of the weapon and not the result of movement of unseasoned woodwork as had been suspected. The decision not to retain the No5 rifle in British
icon
service was made in July 1947 and it was declared obsolescent.

icon
” by Major EGB Reynolds.

Then there is the paratroop No5 Mk2 which had a 'breakdown' stock where the Butt 'clicked' in / out of a socket to make it a shorter weapon, another varient had the butt slide down a dovetail joint to lock in position.

"BreakeyP" has several different varients of the No5 Mk2, maybe he will post some pics and details.

I think he has 6 or 7 very different No5 Mk2 rifles.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Paul has THE COLLECTION, so I hope he will share his knowledge. The Mark 2 designation was used for multiple trials so the D5E171/X/8 is the correct name for the girl. Most of the breakdown No. 5's were Mark I's, at least the ones I have seen!
Yes - please do not think I was suggesting that yours is not a MK2, it just seems that there were 'several' totally different developments going on. all of which were called Mk2.

The one referred to by Reynolds was a Mk2 by virtue of a different stocking arrangement as opposed to using a 'MK2' trigger assembly

I guess it depends if you define a MK2 as being a MK2 only if it has a MK2 trigger (as per the No4s)

I'd love any of the MK2 variants !!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts