Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My m27rv has a small raised "S" on the right rear upper buttstock, I don't have it on any of my other Finns. Maybe these are common and I have just been missing them.

A similar raised "S" has turned up recently on the buttstock of a 28/30 that member vtxmauser just acquired and posted.

Wonder how the Finns did it. Steam, maybe?

Anyone else have one?

There is none on my 1939 28/30's original stock but it does have a rather vague "D":

·
Registered
898 Posts
The only way that can happen (that I know of) would be to use a hammer & die to make the impression in the stock, sand it down a bit, then steam over the impression.
The concave impression will now rise above the surface becoming more convex.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,616 Posts
I sure would like to know how it was done. Quite a few of my M28 stocks have remnants of a raised CG number with S prefix. Most are unreadable now, but you can still see what it was and even feel the raised numbers of a couple. Not a woody so I do not know how this was done originally? None of my stocks seem to have been sand blasted or sanded down to give the appearance of the "raised numbers". I had asked this very question quite a while ago and never understood the answers or process given at that time. More mystique of the older M28s. Off the top of my head I want to say that this was mostly on the Sig barreled one piece stocks more so than the later ones, but might be mushy memory on my part. Don't have that many M28s that I feel have original stocks. So two grains of salt with this theory. Regards, John.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
The CG emblem marking on the late pattern m/28-30 stock is burned, not stamped like the plain S on the early stock. Burning destroys wood fibers so they're unable to raise anymore.
Sorry, I still don't buy it, I have plenty of stocks with 80+ year old stamps that are not raised, many are Finnish.

I'm not saying it's some sort of magic, but it seems to be these S's and not other "stamps".
What about the common crossed cannon markings on Finnish rifles?
AV3 stamps?
How about the multitude of Russian stock marks that resided in Finland for the same amount of time as the "S" marked guns?

I just can't see how it's only these S's and not other stamps if it's just time and environment.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Some of mine have that though I can't remember which ones. I do remember thinking "hmm wonder how they did that?" Then put the rifle away.

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts
Those stocks were not refinished or repaired like the CG stocks were. So perhaps the extra steps in the refurb process and or how they did it and how they were stored. Most of those stocks are 100+ year old pieces of wood.

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
If there was a stamp to depress the area around the S to make the appearance of it being raised, we would see the edges of the depressed area. It doesn't make any sense any other way than to have it being spring back of the wood when it was depressed. As of right now, I can't think of it being anything else.

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Sorry, I still don't buy it, I have plenty of stocks with 80+ year old stamps that are not raised, many are Finnish.

I'm not saying it's some sort of magic, but it seems to be these S's and not other "stamps".
What about the common crossed cannon markings on Finnish rifles?
AV3 stamps?
How about the multitude of Russian stock marks that resided in Finland for the same amount of time as the "S" marked guns?

I just can't see how it's only these S's and not other stamps if it's just time and environment.
Believe me, these were stamped and the elements did the rest. The cannon markings are really shallow and faint compared to the stock district numbers which IMHO explains they raise very little.

Here's someone's m/24 with the S number not raised very much from its original depth.

Yet another one.

·
Diamond Member
777 Posts
Believe me, these were stamped and the elements did the rest. The cannon markings are really shallow and faint compared to the stock district numbers which IMHO explains they raise very little.

Here's someone's m/24 with the S number not raised very much from its original depth.

View attachment 789893

Yet another one.

View attachment 789892
Cool! The bottom one is mine :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.