Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Those mags on PSL are working as feeding ramps - smooth the edges out little bit at the exit ramp with file - so you can easily move rounds out with your thumb. That should take care of it.
As for the optic, I never had any good luck with anything more than 4x on those rifles...
Thanks Rob.

Looking closer at the front of the magazines, I can see what you mean. My second mag has smaller and rougher grooves/ramps than the other. I've opened them up a bit and smoothed the edges.

The undersides of the lips are also sharp and rough, so I've cleaned those up and smoothed them out as well. We'll see how it goes next time out.

Is the bolt hold-open mechanism supposed to have a spring to hold it down, or does it just rely on gravity?

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,544 Posts
Maybe this was mentioned but generally., firing heavy ball loads. (over 148×/- grain) cartridges is not advised.
A KNS piston or other gas restrictions is a fix or exception for heavy ball use.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
About the bolt-hold open issues -

After looking closer at the bolt-hold open system, with the bolt carrier removed and empty mag installed, it's obvious the design is questionable.

The tab on the back of my original magazine follower that is supposed to push up on the latch completely misses it. It would need to extend out farther toward the rear of the rifle in order to catch the latch. The latch itself doesn't have anything holding it in the down position, and I think it flops around from recoil and occasionally ends up in the up position - locking the carrier open.

At this point I may try to figure out a way to disable it completely, as I believe it's causing some of my malfunction issues.

I also took a closer look at the way the rounds come out of the magazine and feed into the chamber. They make a large unsupported jump from the magazine to the chamber, without any ramp except the small cut-outs at the front of the magazine. I was expecting some kind of ramp between the magazine and the chamber.

We'll see if my modifications to the magazines ramps cure the chambering problems, but I may try disabling the hold-open system as well before next time out.

EDIT: I decided to disable the bolt hold-open mechanism and see if that cures the issues of randomly locking open. I made a small wedge from a fiber shim and tapped it down in the semi-circle opening in the hold-open tab to lock it in the down position. I didn't want to do anything permanent, so the shim could be easily driven out if necessary - but it should hold indefinitely. Because the tab on the magazine follower completely misses the hold-open mechanism, it would seem that the bolt carrier locking back would be completely random - which it seemed to be.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Decided to go with the standard 4X scope in place of the POSP 8X I've been using -

20210402_073849.jpg

20210402_073739.jpg

I never did figure out exactly what one "click" of the 8x turrets produced for movement. No manual or instructions came with it. The huge turrets on the 8X are easily bumped and not the best.

The 4X has 1 click between numbers. Each click is 1/2 MIL or 5cm at 100M - not exactly a precise adjustment. The 4X zeroed with the reticle centered without needing to shim the mount like the 8X.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I disabled the last-shot bolt hold-open mechanism on my PSL because I think it has been causing the bolt to hold-open when it shouldn't, and am considering modifying the safety lever to hold the bolt carrier back.

My question is - can I use any standard AK lever? I want to buy a replacement lever, just in case I can't get it to work first try. I don't want to modify the original lever.

Where is a good source for a replacement lever, and will one work any better than another?

Thanks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
On to my quest for some type of hold-open system, as the original one never worked properly.

I found a replacement safety lever, with the hold-open notch, at Apex Gun Parts for $25 - which is half the cost of the similar Krebs part.

It did require some fitting - a bit more than I initially thought. It dropped in correctly, but needed some minor bending to get the exterior arm to clear the receiver.

When I reassembled the rifle another issue became obvious. The "U" notch on the inside portion of the replacement lever has a significantly different shape, and is not as wide as the original - so the bolt carrier wouldn't clear. It took a fair amount of grinding and fitting to get it to clear, and one area of the new part ended-up thinner than I would have liked because of the different contours. Did some grinding, and the carrier clears.

Next challenge - the hold-open notch doesn't line-up with the carrier handle. Because of the additional length of the 54R cartridge and longer PSL carrier, the notch cut in the new AK part is too small and rearward to catch the carrier's handle.

Finally got it to work after extending the notch forward significantly -

20210521_105416.jpg
20210521_111927.jpg

Not quite as easy as I first thought, but looks like it will work.

EDIT: This is the lever I used -

In the second photo on the page you can see the internal piece has a sharp notch on the side by the arm, but more of a ramp on the side of the pivot. That ramp needs to be ground to more of a notch in order to clear the carrier.

You can also see the difference in length of the Apex part's hold-open notch compared to what is required for the PSL.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably look for a part that at least had a more similar internal "U" notch contour to the original PSL part.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Spent some time with the PSL this weekend, and things are improving slowly.

Shot prone off a bag this time, which I think helped. Also shot with the 4x scope for the first time -

20210530_081456.jpg

Couple of the better groups -

20210529_172639.jpg

20210529_172559.jpg

Still haven't gotten better than 2 MOA yet, but it's showing some potential.

More details in this thread - PSL commercial ammo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great discussion and beautiful rifles...I am starting a build for a PSL and need advice on resources for black polymer furniture, and build kits sans receiver which I already have. Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,544 Posts
Black polymer furniture for a PSL is uncommon.
Have not seen any in a couple of years.

For a kit., might try Gunbroker or AK sites.

Gunbroker PSL kit prices have been in the $1300 to $1800 range for kits depending on original barrel or no barrel or USA etc., scope included or not etc.

PSL kits are hit or miss and no retail source.
USA made barrels are sold out at AKBuilder.

Atkantic firearms has new complete PSL rifles in stock for $2200.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Great discussion and beautiful rifles...I am starting a build for a PSL and need advice on resources for black polymer furniture, and build kits sans receiver which I already have. Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you
Thanks. I really enjoy shooting my PSL, and it's been interesting working to make improvements and getting it dialed-in. Not quite there yet, but getting closer. It may be me, more than the rifle, that needs improvement at this point.

Can't say I've seen polymer furniture on a PSL.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but the only place I've see alternative furniture offered for a PSL -

Not sure if there would be any custom AK/SVD/M91 polymer furniture that could be adapted to work on the PSL.

Start a thread and let us know how your project is going.

·
Registered
912 Posts

Thank you
What you are seeking is a Blackhorse Arsenal (aka Confederated Systems) polymer stock set. I had a full set but sold the buttstock and instead run a Rhineland buttstock. I use the BHA forend. You will have to find one in the wild as they are long out of production. Good luck!

Here’s an expired ad for the BHA set for reference: ARMSLIST - For Sale: Dragunov SVD stock & handguards for PSL

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
bdgfate jogged by memory on the polymer furniture when he mentioned Blackhorse Arsenal.

The MAC did this comparison on the PSL/Vepr/SVD a while back, and the PSL had the Blackhorse poly furniture -

·
Registered
912 Posts
There were 2 or 3 versions of the BHA buttstock. The original was fixed and was just a modified SVD stock. A modified, telescoping upgrade was made available as version 2 if you were willing to send your stock in for the work, and finally that telescoping version became the only offering. BHA gained a bad reputation for all kinds of shenanigans and were banned on many sites. I never sent in my fixed stock for the upgrade as I was actually worried it would not come back. The length of pull on the fixed stock was still too short for me so I went with the Rhineland version.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts