Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apparently the PSL Owners' Group sub-forum from way back when is no longer available, so it was suggested that I start a new PSL thread with a collection of links to previous threads (most from way back in 2010 or so) as well as comments, questions, and photos from current PSL owners.

Seems the PSL has gone through quite a few changes over the years, some good, some not so good, but newer production rifles seem to be pretty solid - as Rod Ski can attest.

Here's a link to previous PSL threads in this section - Search results for query: psl

And some PSL videos from Rob to get things going -

Thanks Rob!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking for a solution to a last shot hold-open issue.

It works properly about 50% of the time, both with my original supplied mag and another factory mag I recently acquired.

As for that additional factory mag, it looked fine, but took a significant amount of fitting to even lock in place. Works as good as the other now, but neither will hold the bolt open consistently after the last round.

Anyone know of a fix?

Thanks.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Have you cleaned the cosmoline out of the bolt hold open mechanism? I would start with making sure it was fully extending and whistle clean.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you cleaned the cosmoline out of the bolt hold open mechanism? I would start with making sure it was fully extending and whistle clean.
I've cleaned and lubed the rifle overall, but I'll take a closer look and clean/lube the hold open mechanism more thoroughly.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
As far as current situation with PSL54 imports - they should be still coming, but from my understanding, Cugir plant is setup now to keep up with production demand for their AK line and that's priority for them at this point. So they don't make PSL54 at this moment, but that should change at some point.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As far as current situation with PSL54 imports - they should be still coming, but from my understanding, Cugir plant is setup now to keep up with production demand for their AK line and that's priority for them at this point. So they don't make PSL54 at this moment, but that should change at some point.
I would guess they stand to make a lot more I'll the AK line for us imports due to the current high demand. Unfortunate but understandable. Do you have a source for this info? Just out of curiosity.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I would guess they stand to make a lot more I'll the AK line for us imports due to the current high demand. Unfortunate but understandable. Do you have a source for this info? Just out of curiosity.
Yes, i talked to the importer recently. But my best source is working in the cugir factory, however he went silent lately, i think he may caught covid...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd like to hear what ammo your PSL likes best.

We all know that Rob likes the S&B 174gr Match...(about $2 per round)

What other rounds have grouped well? I have had good luck with other S&B ammo, and see they also make 148gr and 180gr FMJs for about half the price of their 174 gr Match rounds.

I have some PPU 182 gr Match, that gets mixed reviews, but I've yet to test it.

I've been using Barnaul 148gr and 174gr, but I haven't done any formal testing with it. Brown Bear, Silver Bear, and Golden Bear (all Barnaul brands) are available also.

Other options look like the standard light ball Tula, Wolf, and Red Army. I've not tried any of those.

Let us know what has worked for you, and post some photos of your groups if you have some.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My PSL seems to work very well with Winchester 180 Soft points. Actually anything in 7.62x54r seems to like them, winchester has really stepped their quality game.
(Please note I have a KNS piston installed, so I don't recommend without one to alleviate damage to the system.)
2.jpg

I have some brown bear 203 grn and some S&B 180 grain stuff I plan to test, next time I can get to the range.
Red Army standard/Tula gets me about 2.8-3.5 moa average.

·
Registered
921 Posts
^^Nice looking PSL. Tell us a little about your cheek riser.

How’s the bolt hold open issue these days? Resolved?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^Nice looking PSL. Tell us a little about your cheek riser.

How’s the bolt hold open issue these days? Resolved?
Thanks.

The cheek riser is from a SVD, with the buckle removed and straps installed.

The recoil pad is a SVD-style pad, but made for an AK as the SVD has a much larger buttplate.

I checked and cleaned the hold-open mechanism, and it seems to be working properly, but it still fails to hold the bolt open. Not sure if it's magazine related. I need to try pushing it up manually from the mag well to see if it's just not being pushed upward far enough or something else is the issue.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks.

The cheek riser is from a SVD, with the buckle removed and straps installed.

The recoil pad is a SVD-style pad, but made for an AK as the SVD has a much larger buttplate.

I checked and cleaned the hold-open mechanism, and it seems to be working properly, but it still fails to hold the bolt open. Not sure if it's magazine related. I need to try pushing it up manually from the mag well to see if it's just not being pushed upward far enough or something else is the issue.
If you do get your bolt hold to work, mind giving update?
When I got mine form atlantic firearms, it was barely hanging in, then one time while removing a mag, I heard something fall and there were the parts on the table, and luckily the spring was nearbye. Just been running without bolt hold like the original PSL's but you don't miss something till you dont have it anymore...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you do get your bolt hold to work, mind giving update?
When I got mine form atlantic firearms, it was barely hanging in, then one time while removing a mag, I heard something fall and there were the parts on the table, and luckily the spring was nearbye. Just been running without bolt hold like the original PSL's but you don't miss something till you dont have it anymore...
I took a closer look at it last night.

With the magazine removed, and the hold-open tab pushed up completely, it does hold the bolt open.

That would lead me to believe whatever area of the magazine follower that is supposed to push on the hold-open tab isn't traveling upward far enough.

I picked up an additional original mag for it a while ago, and it was not even close to latching in the rifle. After quite a bit of grinding and filing it latches and functions well, but doesn't hold the bolt open any better or worse than the original mag.

Not sure if any modifications can be made to the follower to get it to push up on the hold-open tab higher without changing the angle of rounds in the mag.

I'll need to look into that, but I may cause more problems than I correct.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Spent some time with the PSL yesterday, shooting Barnaul 148gr and 174gr, and also getting a zero back after replacing the scope shim with a thinner one. Overall the 8X POSP scope is a bit disappointing. The adjustments seem inconsistent, and I've yet to figure out exactly what 1-click does at 100yds. The readings on the turrets go from 0 up by 10s (10, 20, 30, etc) with 5 marks in between.

Also making adjustments to the KNS gas piston.

My PSL doesn't seem to care for the 148gr Barnaul at all. Groups were terrible with it, though my range bench (and maybe my skill level...) could be better.

After switching to the 174gr and making some adjustments to the gas piston, I was finally able to get a decent group -

Nothing spectacular - exactly 2" at 100 yrd - so 2 MOA.

I was having consistent issues with full cycling, but I don't think it was all the gas piston adjustment. It would spit the cases out at a reasonable rate and distance. The bolt hold open mechanism was still working intermittently, but it seemed like it would catch the bolt carrier at times and hold the bolt open when it shouldn't.

I was also having issues with rounds being stripped from the magazine. Half of the time they would not pop up and ramp into the barrel and the bolt would hang open.

Still more work to do to get everything working properly.

Didn't have time to try my PPU 182gr, and I'm going to look for the Winchester 180gr soft points that K Thorne likes.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My PSL seems to work very well with Winchester 180 Soft points. Actually anything in 7.62x54r seems to like them, winchester has really stepped their quality game.
(Please note I have a KNS piston installed, so I don't recommend without one to alleviate damage to the system.)
Have you seen that Winchester also makes a 7.62 x 54R 180gr FMJ that they sell as a Target round?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Have you seen that Winchester also makes a 7.62 x 54R 180gr FMJ that they sell as a Target round?
I did, I had a 2 boxes when I bought out a local store of all their Winchester 54r. It was just as good quality, SP did a little better at closer ranges, while the FMJ did better past 300 yards, which is to be expected due to the nature of the bullet.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I was also having issues with rounds being stripped from the magazine. Half of the time they would not pop up and ramp into the barrel and the bolt would hang open.
Those mags on PSL are working as feeding ramps - smooth the edges out little bit at the exit ramp with file - so you can easily move rounds out with your thumb. That should take care of it.
As for the optic, I never had any good luck with anything more than 4x on those rifles...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did, I had a 2 boxes when I bought out a local store of all their Winchester 54r. It was just as good quality, SP did a little better at closer ranges, while the FMJ did better past 300 yards, which is to be expected due to the nature of the bullet.
I can't find either right now, but did order some S&B 180gr FMJs to try. Not quite the S&B 174gr Match rounds that automatically seek the exact center of the target for Rob, but hopefully I'll find something that can get close to 1MOA eventually - and doesn't cost $2 per round!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts