Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoa, I can't believe how much 8mm has gone up. I could trade 900 rds for a C&R these days. I found my receipt from century for the greek 1939 8mm the had a few years ago. I got 1800 rds for $109. My yugo was $59 for the case.

Times have changed...

Howard

·
Gold Bullet member
4,792 Posts
Yes, the times have changed. But apparently the $325 per 900 case prices are not selling very well since AIM has 8mm advertised for $255 per 900 case. Even that price is 5x the price charged by Century not that long ago but I think it does show that there is a limit to what people are willing to pay. I didn't buy at $325 and I'm not buying at $255. I don't ever expect to see $50/900 prices again for 8mm. My discretionary spending budget will wait for prices to come down further or I'll just find something else to shoot. Last weekend I purchased 2,200 rounds for $50.27 at Wally World. Yep, they were Federal 22LRs but that's a lot of shooting with plenty o' money left over for other things !

·
Silver Bullet Member
10,191 Posts
I don't think ANYBODY is buying 8mm at these prices!

·
Registered
845 Posts
I stumbled upon 3 eighty round boxes, and a full case (800rds) of Portugese 8MM in a local gun shop just a few weeks back. Total price $250. I guess I can hold out a little longer for Yugo to drop down some more.

·
Registered
845 Posts
...in any case, I have learned to enjoy shooting the SKS on a regular basis....can't get terribly excited about replacing big guns with .22LR... That Port 8MM still has to last a while...

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
It may drop a little, but the days of 5c are over. The vast stores of 8mm are for the most part gone like the 303, 8x56r, 7mm, 7.7 jap., Carcano ammo, etc. We have pretty much bought out what was out there and the ammo gods were very good to us w/ 8mm for 6-8 years. Now, it seems the well has pretty much run dry. J&G, and AIM paid Century a pretty penny for that 50s Yugo ammo that we used to get for $55 a case! Rumors are there is still a little left in the former Yugoslavia, but it isn't going to get any cheaper. Yes, people are buying it. Not like before in case lots, but 5 boxes here, 10 boxes there, etc. With all the RC K98s, Yugo Mausers, Turk Mausers etc. that came in by the thousands, either you pay the price, reload, (which isn't much cheaper now with high component prices) or hang your Mauser over the fireplace. 54r has gone from $40 a tin of 440 to $80, and it still sell like hot cakes at gunshows. AK ammo from $69-79 a case of 1000 to $200 and it still sells. We don't even want to go to where 223 and 308 prices are. Unlike the previous calibers which are still used, 8mm is pretty much gone from the modern military. FNM, Hotshot, Privi, Igman are all now around $12-15.00 a box, and U.S. ammo even worse in quality and $$$$$$$$$$. I used to wonder why the M.G. guys would buy not cases, but pallets of Romanian 8mm. Now I see they knew there m.g.s were gonna be very hungry and they stored up ammo for a rainy day. $25 a can, compared to Romy at $80-120 a can makes a lot of difference when you want to go blast an MG34 or 42 for a day!

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'm still of the opinion that the weak dollar is the primary reason nothing is being imported, not that nothing is out there. I've heard the Chinese are buying Yugo 8MM for the scrap value. It's no mere coincidence that the price of all commodities, including metals and oil, all spiked as the dollar hit new lows. All the ammo didn't just suddenly dry up in every caliber.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with Drazil. Chinese buying what 8 MM is left in Southern Europe for scrap against a weak US dollar sounds just about right. There is plenty still being turned up in places but until dollars vs yuan change it's all headed to Shanghai. I'm still sitting on 4,000 rounds of 70's Yugo dropped in my driveway for 10.5 cents a round. Stuff hits 2.5" left of my 200 grain Nosler Partition hunting handloads @ 100 yards. I used to take my buddies to the range and let them bang away with the Yugo milsurp at the 100 yard gongs. Those days are over. That late 70's Yugo milsurp looks like it was manufactured last week and shoots like it too.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I came to the 8mm party late, but I *did* get spoiled on the cheap 54r over the past few years. It's still right around 20 cents, delivered, and I can rationalize paying that for quality stuff. 8mm, on the other hand, well, I'll pay up to 30 cents or so delivered, but no more, on general principle, as CMP ball costs about that. For now, anyway. Hey, I've found 8mm for less on the Trader here, and on other forums lately, you just have to time it right and get lucky, I guess.

·
Gold Bullet Member
886 Posts
Exchange Rate

The ammo increase is partially due to the exchange rate, but not primarily. From 07-01-06 to 07-01-08 (two years), the US dollar compared to the Euro has gone from 1.27 to 1.58. That's a 24% increase in the value of the Euro. Thus, the exchange rate is reponsible for a direct 24% increase in the cost of ammo. However we all know ammo has gone up by 200% to 500% or more depending on the caliber, so it's not the exchange rate.

I wish the exchange rate was the main issue. If it were, the $50 cases of Yugo 8mm from years past would be selling for $62 now. What a great buy that would be.

·
Registered
960 Posts
The metals market has been chased by to many dollars, and not enough sell contracts on the futures exchange. Many have very little of their own money in the contracts by buying on margin (A very risky practice unless one has a need for the commodity or is extremely knowledgeable about future contracts)

Where is the money coming from for the futures contracts?

Many folks are reluctant to buy a second house as vacation/investment property since overall single family houses continue to drop in value. Add to that tightened lending practices. They need to put their money somewhere.

The Federal Reserve has lowered interest rates repeatedly, so CD's are paying almost even at best to current inflation.

Our Stock market has suffered for almost one year now.

China has become the biggest hog of natural resources in percentage of growth by my guessstamation. They need steel, copper, lead and on and on for the internal growth as well as their need of material for their gowing exports. They are reported to buy complete auctions of scrap copper at huge sales. Where do they get all the dollars? By us buying all their manufacured goods. At least they have been nice enough to lend 1 trillion of our dollars back to the Federal government to cover our budget deficit.

I know surplus ammo should be a bargain vs new commercial ammo, but the cost of reloading supplies on average are higher than most surplus not counting labor. So surplus I will buy until I no longer need it, it disapears all together, or reloading is equal or cheaper(I am writing about common calibers).

Tribrothers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts